Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LIV Golf

Comments

• Options
    I wonder how many sports the Saudis would like to f**** up.
  • Options
    It has just been announced that LIV golfers will be formally invited this week to play in the Masters in April
    On balance I think that's a correct decision. Although I dont like how LIV golf has split the golfing world I think banning them from non PGA / DP World events would be wrong.

And the Masters is a law unto themselves. Would be different if it was The Players or the Open(s)  
  • Options
    Just been announced by LIV the following events in conjunction with the Asian Tour.

• Options
  • Options
    Wow! 
  • Options
    Full strength Ryder Cup teams then.
  • Options
    Wow. Never saw that coming 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Full strength Ryder Cup teams then.
    Looks like players will have the option to re-join the PGA/DP tours after this season ends. Not sure when that is & I think for the PGA tour it is BEFORE the RC so possibly.. . But maybe not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if Garcia, Westwood etc. can get their £100k fines refunded  😄
  • Options
    Who says money doesn't talk? I'm sure that, despite Mickelson's tweet, the two will become best buddies!

“As worn out as McIroy [sic] was after the Maasters and his need for an off season, LIV would be perfect for him. Problem is I don’t think there’s a team that wants him on it because they’d have to deal with all his bs.”
  • Options
    Football could be next.

The top four Saudi clubs have now been taken over by the King's Public Investment Fund.  There will be millions of dollars sloshing (washing?) around to tempt players over there.  They already have a portal into Europe via Newcastle United.  

Stanis Elsborg - who has written extensively about the Sports Washing in Saudi Arabia - spoke on this morning's 'Wake Up to Money' about this situation.  The Saudi's profit enormously from political goodwill and diplomacy through their sponsorship's and hosting of sporting events such as Boxing, Golf, Handball, Motor Racing and ... Football?

The Saudis hope to attract 25 world stars within a year - just a start. 

Stanis Elsberg says the Premier league is safe for now, but they should be looking over their shoulder, the situation could change in relatively short order, as money wise they have no hope in competing. 
  • Options
    Ha Ha Ha

bet they wish they had all taken the big money now
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Ha Ha Ha

bet they wish they had all taken the big money now

• Options
    Shocked at this but think the pga realised their days were numbered. Murmurings in the last week were that the European tour were falling into line with LIV and Rory had softened his stance. Had a busy day so only read a high level summary but will have a good look at what’s happening later. My mate text me and said trump brokered it. Dunno if he was trolling me but it wouldn’t surprise me if true. 
  • Options
    the world isn't big enough for the both of them .. 
  • Options
    Money talks

Amazing when Tiger Woods supposedly declined £800 million offer, imagine how Rory feels having to continuously get involved and the energy it took, potentially it could have stopped him winning a major with so much media duties. 

Ultimately well see how it plays out, but still a massive turn around which is rather embarrassing and more so for the other players who could have earnt a lot more for jumping ship and didn't.
  • Options
    Well bugger me sideways with a duck billed platypus. Didn’t see that coming. Will be interesting to see the detail. European tour will effectively disappear. We now have a genuine “World Tour”. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Another sport purchased by Saudi Arabia. 

Football is next. 
  • Options

Football is next. 
    Surely they bought football a while ago.
  • Options

Football is next. 
    Surely they bought football a while ago.
    Wait for the summer transfer window 
  • Options
    Sadly, the least surprising Sports news of the year.
  • Options
    Football could be next.

The top four Saudi clubs have now been taken over by the King's Public Investment Fund.  There will be millions of dollars sloshing (washing?) around to tempt players over there.  They already have a portal into Europe via Newcastle United.  

Stanis Elsborg - who has written extensively about the Sports Washing in Saudi Arabia - spoke on this morning's 'Wake Up to Money' about this situation.  The Saudi's profit enormously from political goodwill and diplomacy through their sponsorship's and hosting of sporting events such as Boxing, Golf, Handball, Motor Racing and ... Football?

The Saudis hope to attract 25 world stars within a year - just a start. 

Stanis Elsberg says the Premier league is safe for now, but they should be looking over their shoulder, the situation could change in relatively short order, as money wise they have no hope in competing. 
    Saudi throwing money at players is surely just an attempt to promote their football and get them to back their bid for the 2030 World cup. 

It's just a pay day for players nearing the end of their careers. Until we see a serious player at the height of his career going there it means nothing. You might get the odd Brazilian going there, same as we did with China a few years ago but you're not going to see the likes of Mbappe or Haaland going there in this decade.

Ronaldo went there as he had no big European club offers. Benzema has gone there as injuries started to affect him this season and the money is too crazy to turn down at 35. Not a chance he goes there at 25.
  • Options
    Personally I fear they’re going to have a bigger crack at it than China did. 
  • Options
    Watching the ipl recently and “visit Saudi” were one of the sponsors. The commentators are contracted to give shout outs to the sponsors. Made me laugh hearing the likes of KP and Danny Morrison telling us what a wonderful place saudi is.
  • Options
    Personally I fear they’re going to have a bigger crack at it than China did. 
    Absolutely, no one is doubting that, and they probably already are doing better than the Chinese given the players signed and the sums of money involved. But these are players going there for a final pay day.

Lewandowski for example turned down an offer as he is happy at Barcelona. That might be different in a couple of years of course, but i don't see many players choosing Saudi over top level European clubs. 

If Mbappe has a choice next summer when his contract is up of earning (for example) 200m in 5 years at Madrid or 600m in 2 years in Saudi, he's choosing Madrid every day.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I foresee an expansion in a world club football tournament, superseding European dominance of the Champions League and giving the Arab state clubs the opportunity to attract players to top level competition outside of their domestic league. You’ll then have the domestic Arab clubs competing in the highest revenue-generating competition against the biggest clubs in the world, many of which are Arab owned 
  • Options
    I foresee an expansion in a world club football tournament, superseding European dominance of the Champions League and giving the Arab state clubs the opportunity to attract players to top level competition outside of their domestic league. You’ll then have the domestic Arab clubs competing in the highest revenue-generating competition against the biggest clubs in the world, many of which are Arab owned 
    Think you’re probably right there. Ronaldo already out there. Messi will eventually. Sounds like Zaha is moving out there too. OK, not the same level, but still a Premier League player at his peak.