Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LIV Golf

Comments

• Options
    It looks like the golf equivalent of The Hundred, with shit loads more cash. Horrendous to look at and not aimed at traditional fans of the sport.
  • Options
    Outside of those participating, literally no one cares who wins any of these phoney tournaments.
    The whole thing is simply an exercise in  sportswashing by the Saudis.
  • Options
    does anyone watch it - I wouldn't even know how/where it's on?!?!
  • Options
    Outside of those participating, literally no one cares who wins any of these phoney tournaments.
    but as i commented earlier - how does this make anyone think any differently of Saudi Arabia ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    but as i commented earlier - how does this make anyone think any differently of Saudi Arabia ?
    It has in the case of football - useful PR. As for golf I don't think it makes any sense.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Right now it does little. But they know that if they put Aramco etc. adverts all round the course, that will play to the criticism that its all Saudi sportswashing.

I presume the LIV play is more of a slow burn -  something akin to the PDC in darts but on a bigger scale - try and get the most recognisable players under contract, and then say to tv companies and golf courses that there’s no point signing with the PGA tour as the ‘names’ are in LIV. In the meantime, I presume LIV will try to sell ‘franchises’ like the IPL, most likely for inflated fees to mates in order to claim in marketing that it’s a “(insert ludicrous figure like $500m) franchise”. 

For Saudi, they can host ‘the championship final’ when the series is in operation next year and claim they host “the biggest golf tournament in the world”. Some tourists may also visit Saudi for that, but it’s more about trying to get a series of events so that Saudi becomes a ‘destination’ location, rather than just a location for Islamic pilgrimage which it was before all this - they already have longstanding agreements with Formula 1, WWE, Formula E, ATP tennis, Dakar rally and they just announced MotoGP this weekend. Plus they are going for the one-off boxing events like Joshua vs Usyk 2 (and undoubtedly Fury vs Usyk if it happens for Undisputed).
  • Options
    Poulter and Herschel almost kicked off today at Wentworth.
  • Options
    Gonna be interesting this. Poulter, Westwood, horsfield, Sergio, mcdowell, ancer, weisberger all playing. Reckon they’re gonna get pelters from the fans and players alike.
  • Options
    Gonna be interesting this. Poulter, Westwood, horsfield, Sergio, mcdowell, ancer, weisberger all playing. Reckon they’re gonna get pelters from the fans and players alike.
    Sadly not. I think it’ll be more that they get very little love from the galleries. Fans who do anything are facing being kicked out and possible future sanctions 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Sadly not. I think it’ll be more that they get very little love from the galleries. Fans who do anything are facing being kicked out and possible future sanctions 
    You’re probably right. Still think there could be some fireworks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    You’re probably right. Still think there could be some fireworks.
    Fingers crossed 😂😂😂
  • Options
    It really is quite hilarious how people get all emotional about this.

Saudi Arabia is a horrific human rights abuser, one of the worst in the world by some distance.

However, Saudi Arabia is also a very good friend of the United States of America, principally because of its critical role as an energy exporter and supporter of the Petrodollar.

The Saudis funded the Wahabbi extremism that led to thousands of Americans dying on 9/11.

What did the Bush administration do? Well, they flew the Saudis - including the infamous "Bandar Bush" out of the US - at a time when all other non-military flights were banned - back home to Saudi rather than face uncomfortable questions from outraged Americans.

What punishment have the Saudis paid for 9/11? None, because if the Yanks even tried it the Saudis would start trading their oil in a non-US$ currency and the Yanks would shit the bed.

In the intervening years the Americans have sold billions of dollars of military hardware to the Saudi Arabian government, used to suppress opposition at home and fight the war in Yemen, one of the greatest tragedies of modern times but one which the west couldn't give a shit about for reasons that should be pretty obvious.

Given all this it really is adorable that of all the horrific things the Saudis have done that people get upset about them funding and hosting a fucking golf tour.
  • Options

Saudi Arabia is a horrific human rights abuser, one of the worst in the world by some distance.

However, Saudi Arabia is also a very good friend of the United States of America, principally because of its critical role as an energy exporter and supporter of the Petrodollar.

The Saudis funded the Wahabbi extremism that led to thousands of Americans dying on 9/11.

What did the Bush administration do? Well, they flew the Saudis - including the infamous "Bandar Bush" out of the US - at a time when all other non-military flights were banned - back home to Saudi rather than face uncomfortable questions from outraged Americans.

What punishment have the Saudis paid for 9/11? None, because if the Yanks even tried it the Saudis would start trading their oil in a non-US$ currency and the Yanks would shit the bed.

In the intervening years the Americans have sold billions of dollars of military hardware to the Saudi Arabian government, used to suppress opposition at home and fight the war in Yemen, one of the greatest tragedies of modern times but one which the west couldn't give a shit about for reasons that should be pretty obvious.

Given all this it really is adorable that of all the horrific things the Saudis have done that people get upset about them funding and hosting a fucking golf tour.
    I don't seem to have seen or read that people are upset at the Saudis.  I wouldn't say golf fans are even upset - more bewildered at why players like DJ, Mickelson, Poulter etc would give up playing on the PGA & European tours (and all the kudos that brings) to play 'exhibition" matches over 3 rounds with no cut. 

As someone said up thread, I dont know where you can watch these events (I have Sky & terrestrial tv) and it seems to me that all the Saudi's are doing are lining the pockets of soon to be past it / never had it players when the golfing public are watching the PGA/ European tours on Sky as normal. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I don't seem to have seen or read that people are upset at the Saudis.  I wouldn't say golf fans are even upset - more bewildered at why players like DJ, Mickelson, Poulter etc would give up playing on the PGA & European tours (and all the kudos that brings) to play 'exhibition" matches over 3 rounds with no cut. 

As someone said up thread, I dont know where you can watch these events (I have Sky & terrestrial tv) and it seems to me that all the Saudi's are doing are lining the pockets of soon to be past it / never had it players when the golfing public are watching the PGA/ European tours on Sky as normal. 
    It's free to watch on YouTube 
  • Options

And I guess their website
  • Options

Every day's a school day.

Will take a look sometime. 

I see though that the LIV players arent a top of the leaderboard at Wentworth. Perhaps starting on the 1st tee threw them...😄
  • Options
    The format they play is the same as we play on a Bank holiday weekend at our local club for a bit of fun. But their prizes are better.
  • Options
    Why are people so concerned about the format and starting on various holes and not having a cut etc

What difference does it make ?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Why are people so concerned about the format and starting on various holes and not having a cut etc

Presumably you'd be okay if the format of football changed?
  • Options
    Tournaments often have a staggered starting hole. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    They don't have a shotgun start.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    In America they often start tournaments from the 1st & 10th tees. Not often in the UK though. 

But they all dont start on different tees, like a staggered start.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Imagine when the Premier League started they said that they would be playing 3 periods of 30 mins, no relegation or promotion and teams would only play each other once during a season.  
  • Options
    Imagine instead of playing a test cricket match over five days they introduced a game that only lasted one day. 
    It’s just not cricket! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Imagine instead of playing a test cricket match over five days they introduced a game that only lasted one day. 
    It’s just not cricket! 
    Test matches are still played over five days.

Have you got a sensible argument?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It’s just not cricket! 
    Test matches are still played over five days.

Have you got a sensible argument?
    It’s still cricket, just a different version. 
    This is still golf, just a different version. 

• Options
    I was at the bmw championship at Wentworth yesterday,we sat in the stand for the 1st tees, there was a few boos for Garcia and Poults but more cheers so it would appear that on the whole, golf fans dont give a shit🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    LIV golfers will be in their element now at Wentworth. Play resumes tomorrow but now only a 54 hole tournament.

The Saudi's are innovators a tell thee.......... 
  • Options
    I was at the bmw championship at Wentworth yesterday,we sat in the stand for the 1st tees, there was a few boos for Garcia and Poults but more cheers so it would appear that on the whole, golf fans dont give a shit🤷‍♂️
    I might find it hard to boo a player from the Stands but I don't think I could stand there outside the ropes & not make a comment or two. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It has just been announced that LIV golfers will be formally invited this week to play in the Masters in April