Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 3rd Sep 2022 3pm

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Garner is not allowed to change tactics. He's been brought in to play sandgaard football. He's just a yes man.
    He’s already made tactical tweaks and used a different formation and I expect that to continue.

What you’re referring to is Garner’s playing style. He won’t change it but not because TS won’t let him or because he’s a yes man - TS has brought in a manager who plays the style he’s after.

Garner would never play a long ball game because it’s not how he sees the game.

You are mixng up hoof ball and a good long pass that every team plays including Man City or Liverpool if they see the space opens up.
    You didn't see the goal Davison scored for Swindon last season with the assist from the keeper ?

We all know Ben's philosophy but he is surely smart enough to know that you have to mix and match depending on the state of play and how the opposition are set up and do we have 16 players fit on the day to carry out his game plan. 

I understand you mean the old Cambridge and Wimbledon long ball but we will get less points than we did under JJ  3-5-2 system if we don't have the players or squad to carry out Garner's 4-3-3.

Chuks is more injury prone now than he was in his super sub season when he was available for 75% of the matches.
    I’m not mixing anything up, I haven’t said Garner’s teams won’t play long passes. We’ve done it this season and will continue to do so. It’s hoofball as you say that Garner won’t play.

We agree Scoham, I jumped in with my studs showing and I will take the yellow card. Some posters on here can't tell the difference between hoof ball and decent long passes. Tempo really is the key to speed up and when to slow down to keep possession for game management. 

Scoham you are a researcher of football and I mustn't dive in or two yellows and I'm off.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Garner is not allowed to change tactics. He's been brought in to play sandgaard football. He's just a yes man.
    He’s already made tactical tweaks and used a different formation and I expect that to continue.

What you’re referring to is Garner’s playing style. He won’t change it but not because TS won’t let him or because he’s a yes man - TS has brought in a manager who plays the style he’s after.

Garner would never play a long ball game because it’s not how he sees the game.

You are mixng up hoof ball and a good long pass that every team plays including Man City or Liverpool if they see the space opens up.
    You didn't see the goal Davison scored for Swindon last season with the assist from the keeper ?

We all know Ben's philosophy but he is surely smart enough to know that you have to mix and match depending on the state of play and how the opposition are set up and do we have 16 players fit on the day to carry out his game plan. 

I understand you mean the old Cambridge and Wimbledon long ball but we will get less points than we did under JJ  3-5-2 system if we don't have the players or squad to carry out Garner's 4-3-3.

Chuks is more injury prone now than he was in his super sub season when he was available for 75% of the matches.
    I’m not mixing anything up, I haven’t said Garner’s teams won’t play long passes. We’ve done it this season and will continue to do so. It’s hoofball as you say that Garner won’t play.

We agree Scoham, I jumped in with my studs showing and I will take the yellow card. Some posters on here can't tell the difference between hoof ball and decent long passes. Tempo really is the key to speed up and when to slow down to keep possession for game management. 

Scoham you are a researcher of football and I mustn't dive in or two yellows and I'm off.

Your off...😉
  • Options
    You’re 

Sorry. OCD. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    So much for Garner's supposed "style" his leadership and tactics are bereft of substance
    He knows the squad is desperately short especially at the back yet makes no concession to that in his selections
    O'Connell and Lavelle are seriously limited yet he gives them no extra protection
    He persists with woeful underperformers like Kirk
    He persists with a system for which he lacks most key players
    That's tantamount to getting it wrong deliberately
    Add in his publicising that the squad's not good enough for top 6 and Skintgard could be handing him his P45 this week
    What sort of protection? Do you mean playing two defensive midfielders? Most Lifers have been decrying Inniss, and calling for the Lavelle/O’Connell combo to be first choice. Trouble is, when we come up against a CB like Santos our deficiencies are highlighted. 
    There’s no harm in Garner having a preferred system. It’s too early to write it off as a failure, although the poor transfer window hasn’t helped, but I’d rather they had a clear idea of what style they want to play, and stick with it. But they do need to work out how to play round a high press, rather than resorting to long goal kicks. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I have always felt you have to be pro active and not be out thought by the other manager. In League 1 most teams have a chance to beat anyone on a given day but as we have realized already and I said it even after the great performance against Plymouth, we will struggle to win matches over a 46 game season and can't see the goals are coming from to win matches plus we will keep less clean sheets than JJ did under his tenure. This came with the caveat that if we have a good transfer window then with less injuries that may change.

Surely most people NOW can see we are a tad short in certain positions unless Aneke can get back ASAP and Stockley can perform like his loan spell and just before the back problem when he scored plenty in cup,League and Pizza cup. 

It doesn't need my #stockleyneedsapartner from 13 months ago as it must be Crystal clear that Jayden looks like scoring more in a two up front than a 3 unless we play Plymouth away when Gilbey and the team were on fire scoring 6 or Plymouth again just recently when we hit 5 and Morgan thought he was Pirlo for the night. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    I wonder how long TS will tolerate paying Curbs and Brownie to  lay in to the team and the way the club is managed. And put up with Garner saying the squad is too weak.
    I was wondering that too...
    Expecting Curbs and Brownie to be amongst the next sackings.
    To be replaced by some kids doing a media studies course at Greenwich Uni on a (free) internment arrangement, with punditry from Academy players.
    A no brainer!
    (Invoice for consultancy fees on its way to SE7)

Pretty much spot on except not from Greenwich Uni.
    Golfie’s son?
    Correct.

He's just started a 3rd year at North Kent college in Dartford. Passed his Digital Media & Journalism course with distinction and through a friend was offered a job at the club doing the sound on matchdays......so if you hear any dodgy music that's down to his spotify list !
    Can you tell him to not play Addicks to Victory on the final whistle of home games we win. At least leave it a little bit for fans to celebrate with the players and do the tunnel jumps before we have to hear it instead of drowning out the covered end. Completely ruins the winning moment and what should be a special moment between fans and players 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    I wonder how long TS will tolerate paying Curbs and Brownie to  lay in to the team and the way the club is managed. And put up with Garner saying the squad is too weak.
    To be replaced by some kids doing a media studies course at Greenwich Uni on a (free) internment arrangement, with punditry from Academy players.
    A no brainer!

Golfie’s son?
    Correct.

He's just started a 3rd year at North Kent college in Dartford. Passed his Digital Media & Journalism course with distinction and through a friend was offered a job at the club doing the sound on matchdays......so if you hear any dodgy music that's down to his spotify list !
    Can you tell him to not play Addicks to Victory on the final whistle of home games we win. At least leave it a little bit for fans to celebrate with the players and do the tunnel jumps before we have to hear it instead of drowning out the covered end. Completely ruins the winning moment and what should be a special moment between fans and players 
    Do you want to get him sacked?
  • Options
    Looking at the form of the players right now I would start Morgan, but if he is dropped I see the current obvious replacement to be Henry and not Payne.
    Payne is very hard to assess right now.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Looking at the form of the players right now I would start Morgan, but if he is dropped I see the current obvious replacement to be Henry and not Payne.

When McGrandles is fit I see him challenging for Morgan's spot, although I agree Albie deserves his place for now. Payne could do it but I think that will be reserved for teams who sit off us (if any of those exist in league 1) like Gillingham did to woeful effect otherwise it has to be one of Fraser or Payne and not both.

Think Henry needs easing in to league games gently, ideally in situations where we are comfortable, as although he was decent in the cup and scored again he gave the ball away quite a few times under little pressure on the halfway line, which against any half decent opponent would have cost us.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:

When McGrandles is fit I see him challenging for Morgan's spot, although I agree Albie deserves his place for now. Payne could do it but I think that will be reserved for teams who sit off us (if any of those exist in league 1) like Gillingham did to woeful effect otherwise it has to be one of Fraser or Payne and not both.

Think Henry needs easing in to league games gently, ideally in situations where we are comfortable, as although he was decent in the cup and scored again he gave the ball away quite a few times under little pressure on the halfway line, which against any half decent opponent would have cost us.
    Yes, you have a good point about Aaron Henry needing further developmental opportunities.
    At first team level wins and points trump everything.
  • Options

There's a reason why goal scorers at non League level earn double and in some case treble what their part time colleges earn. I'm ITK at that level !
    I got chatting to a gas fitter, laying pipes in the street. He also happened to be a striker for Boston United and had scored 27 the previous season and was having trials with Sheffield F. C and Buxton. Even at that level he was pulling in £500 a game. Nothing to be sniffed at. 
    Best not to sniff the gas.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Morgan has been poor the last two games. 
    Inconsistency has always been his problem. 
    sometimes he tries far too hard and instead of finding space or just pausing for a little breath and a look around and if nothing is on just making a simple layoff, he all too often is chasing about after lost causes, getting out of position, getting in the way looking like a ten year old playing for the school ..  this was the case on Saturday .. will he ever improve ? .. whatever, time for Payne
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    A no brainer!

Golfie’s son?
    Correct.

When you say doing the sound do you mean the studio sound for Charlton TV and the commentary or just the music in the ground?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    A no brainer!

Golfie’s son?
    Correct.

Can you tell him to not play Addicks to Victory. 
    Fixed it for you.