Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 3rd Sep 2022 3pm

Comments

• Options
    just before Morgan was subbed we had quite a good move happening, the ball got to him and he could have put someone through, forget who, but instead put the ball in the top of the stand from a 'shot', then he jogged off grinning-is he not taking this seriously?
    I didnt see him grinning at all. I’m as unhappy as everyone else, but lets not make shit up, there’s quite enough of the real thing to process.
    He was definitely smiling, that thing you do with your mouth to show happiness...
  • Options
    We need to go back to basics and learn how to defend. Not going to get anywhere if we keep conceding like this. 

Been a tough start and didn't expect a result today, just expected more of a performance so we really need to start picking up the points these next 3 games.
  • Options
    Started the stronger, their first looked a handball. 

After that Bolton imposed themselves pressed as a unit, kept the ball better moved it quicker and exploited gaps. 

Second half I think we had another good ten min spell but some abysmal defending and passing which contributed in conceding chances and goals. 

Ultimately from what Bolton fans was saying was how small and weak our players are as well as that they outnumbered us in certain areas by playing 3-4-1-2. 

Ultimately the back 4 wasn't a unit today. Full backs and wide players not in sync and Stockley far too isolated and lethargic definitely needed a partner. 

We've seen we can play the style at home when we dominate a bit more but away from home when challenged we need to try something else. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Apart from the last two seasons with us, most of Stockley’s goals have been scored at League Two or Conference level.
  • Options
     Not so sure about that, but it reads like we are a work in progress. I just don't see it. The players we signed in the window hardly look like players that will flower into superb footballers in 2 to 3 years. The young talent we've brought through will be off long before any 'work in progress' gets near to completion.
    No. We just look like a hand to mouth operation that is bobbing about in the shallow end.
  • Options
    You can smile out of frustration. I doubt he thought it was funny and unfair to suggest so really.
    ok fair enough, I suppose it could have been, just seemed odd.
    Just seemed a bit of a wasted move.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. This site has hit a new low today. Now even our new manager is writing another third division season off in early September.

I've just been on the BHA fans forum to remind myself what it's like to support a team that doesn't feel like a suicide squad. Now I've come back on here and feel down again ☹️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I felt so sorry for the Charlton faithful who had to Travel Back to London/Kent tonight 

but without a decent striker and a decent centre Back this team will never see promotion a Fact,
    as Curbs Says no Goals and leaked Goals mean no points.

Many Fans tonight like myself feel that our full of
    BULLSHIT owner is now taking the piss.
    time to put your money where your EGO is.
    today was a f—King Joke, and we made an average Filthy Team look Good 👎👎
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'd like to publicly thank my youngest son. He loves an away day, so when I forwarded the message about Bolton's offer of cheap tickets I thought I'd be on my way. Instead, he questioned whether I knew how much petrol costs and how far Bolton is. Great questions, son! They saved my day. Well most of my day. The bit where I sat at home with my other son, pretending we live in Amsterdam so we could watch a stream of the match wasn't exactly the most fun I've ever had. 

As for the match - we desperately need a striker.
    Your son sounds a smart kid!!!
  • Options
    I watched it on the stream. 
    - Our strength in depth is worrying. Ben Garner is TS's own man and he failed to back him in the window fully. We all know we needed at least CB, LB, and mobile ST. Sandgaard failed to deliver.

- I understand the academy is to play a big part in our future and is a way for the club to raise its income. But using those players who are not yet ready will cost us a top 6 finish this season.

-Stockley is not mobile enough for this system. I think 90% of fans agree. That is not a dig at Stockley, just a fact. I am sure he will give his all for the shirt this season.

-Miles needs to start against Exeter. He deserves the chance to prove what he can offer in a full game in that deep striker role.

-Clayden, Fraser, and Rak-Sakyi did well today. The rest is way below par.

-Bolton bullied us and played some nice stuff. Charles is the exact kind of striker we needed, who would fit the BG system very well.

-A Disappointing result. TS needs to learn quickly from his mistakes. He needs a proper footballing CEO in charge. But that being said we all know that is not going to happen any time soon.
    Agree wholeheartedly on Charles. A hard-running, waspish pest of a striker who can finish too. Just think, two weeks after Bolton signed Charles, we paid the same fee for Aneke!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    They are now saying Stockley should be dropped
        Stockley is an over rated very average striker
        He is too fucking slow 👎👎👎👎
  • Options
    It makes me think he is on a performance related contract and knows he will be for the tin tac.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been on this train from Preston 3 hours and still another half an hour to go
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    clb74 said:
    Been on this train from Preston 3 hours and still another half an hour to go
    At least it’s not the coach!
  • Options
    Not long back, it really is depressing, there was a real sense of resignation today in the crowd. Ben Garner is a decent manager that much is clear, I think with even 30% more backing this summer we could have been there or there about. I cant see any how we are ever going to get anywhere with Saandgard at the club, he just hasn't got enough money.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    BG doing a Bowyer the old mind games and playing down our chances taking the pressure of the players especially the younger ones but he wants top 6 …. Today it was about key moments the hand ball for the goal that gave them a lift and Raki miss when we were on top and it would have made it 2-2 .. 

We are going to lose games every one does even the top sides but we will win as well , stay in the pack see who we get in Jan and then go for it … 
    Don’t tell anybody, but i have info on who we get in January.  Fecking no one…… !!!!
    You starting trying to get promoted from the start of the season not bloody half way through……
  • Options
    I was a tad optimistic today as my head said we would lose 3-2. 

I have nothing new to say after the game other than to repeat that Ben Garner would've been gutted at 11pm on Thursday night the same as Steve Gallen was.

No melt down from me as we still have a mid table team whether we play JJ preferred  3-5-2 or Garner's 4-3-3. 

The team were never going to emulate JJ's first 10 games in charge when the 3-5-2 worked a treat and we had 20 points and got away from the relegation Zone. Not enough quality to go higher than mid table but at least Jackson saved us from even more pain.

Ian Evatt has been playing "Garnerball" for years even since he got his first manager's job at Barrow though he does try different formations. 

I wonder what Ben Garner expected from Thomas Sandgaard in this window as we haven't played 10 games and Ben has said the top 6 is going to be a stretch. 

Gutted but not surprised Charlton Lost and the odious Chelsea won. Thanks Lionesses for some football happiness on a miserable day of Reality not for me but for the middle age Charlton fans who had to learn the hard way that there is no Santa Claus ready to give you your tip six present for yet another year.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This season is slipping away rapidly now.
    I would like to kid myself it can be made up, and I suppose there is still a chance, but blind faith is so last season, and the season before, and the season before that.
    It could be made up but I don't think it will. I said before the start of the season I could only see a mid table finish. I also said if you sign 4th Division players don't be surprised if you eventually end up there. BUT we started off looking ok & I thought that maybe with a few more signings we actually could push for top 6. As we all know those signings didn't come. Stockley can fall back & link up but won't score (many) playing in this system, Kirk looks like a frightened schoolboy most of the time, we have two fit centre backs who must be blind folded the amount of times they lose the men they're supposed to be marking & a young inexperienced winger playing at LB. Leaburn has done better than I thought he would but it's just absurd that we are relying on him coming off the bench every game to try & win us points. He should be being introduced slowly when we are in a winning position but with no other senior striker at the club we have to resort to a promising 18 year old. ( I can't include Aneke, will we ever see him again ?)
    Two years ago most of us were grateful for sandgaard "saving" the club, now we just seem to be an established Third Division club with no ambition. Premier ready my fucking arse. 
    It's not the new signings that are the problem.
    It's the lack of a couple more signings and the under performing players from last season.

Today the problem was Kirk, Morgan, Stockley & the formation that was too open.