Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 3rd Sep 2022 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    I wonder how long TS will tolerate paying Curbs and Brownie to  lay in to the team and the way the club is managed. And put up with Garner saying the squad is too weak.
    Not for long I shouldn't think, didn't he sack that Brian Jokat feller for telling mrs sandgaard to stop telling him how to do his job ? Good for Curbs & Brownie. Is there anyway of watching the after match comments without subscribing ?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @JohnnyH2
    Why are you front of my PC?

I watch almost every game. It's a 150 mile round trip to go to games yet I still make 5-10 a season. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    I keep seeing comments taking a dig at Lifers who are optimistic or have yet to be convinced that we're going nowhere under the current owner, but I'd ask you to consider that they're fellow supporter's and, just because they haven't yet reached THEIR threshold of evidence to come out and openly condemn the owner, it doesn't mean they never will, it doesn't mean they believe in everything he does, it doesn't mean they think he's done nothing wrong and they only want the best for the Club too.
    👍
  • Options
    And Garner has just effectively written this season off in his interview with Louis Mendez
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wwaddick said:
    Wow. What an admission after all the pre'-eason promotion hype...counts for absolute nought on the face of it given this outcome...go figure.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    All I've heard is that Sandgaard is now open to selling and there is interest.
    I think the indicators of his wanting out are clear. Dismissing trusted members of staff being part of that. The cost cutting measures are not only designed to save his bank account but also designed to say to any prospective buyer that this is a viable business proposition. Most everybody who knows anything about English football will tell you the opposite is true for all outside the Premiership. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ok, the positives first. We are conceding a certain type of goal, which means if you can address with coaching you stop conceding so many. The starting point is why are opponents so often free when we have numbers in the box? The other positive is we had some decent chances today. Morgan should have done better with his and Rak Sakyi could have had a hat-trick, although both him and Fraser were excellent. Dobson was for 70 minutes too I thought. Clayden is not the finished article yet but plays on the front foot and is brave and I think he is going to make it going forwards.

The negatives is the goals or lack of them. Morgan won't get more than four, Dobson neither although he is the luxury you have to accept for what else he brings. The defence doesn't look like chipping in with more than 7. With these genorous expectations, I expect we will need about 45 to 50 from our front three to be anywhere near the top six. How the hell can anybody make a case for that happening? Stockley is a more than decent League One striker but the system doesn't suit him as he is too isolated and he can't use his attributes effectively. But what is the alternative? I would say playing one wing back in an unbalanced formation and trying Leaburn and Stockley up front but it may not work and what about when one gets injured?

• Options
    It certainly has the feel of a business where the owner is trying to minimise his losses possibly before making an exit...
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    If only he'd said this before the season started I could have saved myself £500 & not bought a season ticket. This season is a write off already...... and that's not me saying it, that's the manager  !!

2 more windows needed eh ? So that's January & next summer. What's magically going to change that in a years time we have a squad good enough to challenge the top 6  ?  Are we expecting Gomez to be sold & we get a few million to spend on new players, because the way the recruitment is going we aren't getting promoted with a few frees from League 2 & a smattering of U21's.

Can't see anything changing over the next 2 transfer windows I'm afraid. Just more of the same. 
  • Options
    ro_addick said:
    Garmerball...going where??
    Sandgaardballs more like it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm still pissed at our transfer window. I don't much care about this result. 
    You been drinking since then.
  • Options
    Optimism levels plummeting
    Enthusiasm levels waning
    No money to spend
    Not sure if that’s me or Ben Garner
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nicholas said:
    Well done Ben Garner for basically telling the owner he has fucked things up yet again. Extra like points for Garner
     I know people think I'm a happy clapper, but I smiled reading his comments.

Sandgaard has truly fucked me off with the progressively shit handling of everything. Chance after chance...

I so wanted him to be successful, how many chances can you give though? If the murmurings around the club are true, it won't be a problem too much longer. 
    Dear happy clapper, what are the murmurings that you are hearing ?

Expect there's half a dozen posts before mine asking the same question. I'm always playing catch up :-( 
    Thanks
  • Options
    just before Morgan was subbed we had quite a good move happening, the ball got to him and he could have put someone through, forget who, but instead put the ball in the top of the stand from a 'shot', then he jogged off grinning-is he not taking this seriously?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @JohnnyH2
    Why are you front of my PC?

I watch almost every game. It's a 150 mile round trip to go to games yet I still make 5-10 a season. 
    That's a long way.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think the murmurings could well be he wants out.
  • Options
    Second game I've done this season but we looked much less in control than the first (Accrington) - some of that is Bolton being a step up but otherwise I thought a number of elements were below par.

Central defence was shaky. Clayden gave it his all but the fact he isn't a left back was exposed. I thought the midfield got strangled and Morgan especially struggled to assert himself. Up top, JRS was the best player we had (but should've scored), Kirk was not involved enough and I'm not sure I've got really any words to say about Stockley so will leave it there.

All 3 goals we conceded were poor, albeit doesn't help that the linesman can't see the fella punching it in when it was blatantly obvious from the upper tier.

I think Garner should have changed it earlier today - both in personnel and the formation. Bolton were just dinking diagonals over the top and forcing 1v1's all game.

All in all we got totally outperformed by a team who I think will make the top 6 comfortably despite a slow start. We are at least 3 starting players off being a good team - one of them (Sessegnon) is injured but as we all know we needed a starting centre half and a starting central striker, and we chose not to even bring in squad fillers for those roles let alone the premium quality we needed.

We will struggle to be anything other than a middle of the road team who sprays the ball around quite well for isolated periods (like we did today). Big reality check required from our positive start.

I just hope we can hang on to Garner and give him the time and tools he needs to take us forwards eventually. I really want his philosophy to work and God knows we can't change manager again.
  • Options
    just before Morgan was subbed we had quite a good move happening, the ball got to him and he could have put someone through, forget who, but instead put the ball in the top of the stand from a 'shot', then he jogged off grinning-is he not taking this seriously?
    I didnt see him grinning at all. I’m as unhappy as everyone else, but lets not make shit up, there’s quite enough of the real thing to process.