Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - June 2023: 1 year contract extension confirmed (p11)

Comments

• Options
    TT starts tonight 
  • Options
    It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for Thomas.

Injured shortly after signing and nearly sold on transfer deadline day , I didn't think there was anyway he would get a new contract offer.

But after a couple of decent performances that show he is a versatile and  pretty sound back-up
    I wonder if he might now get an extension?

Im not sure, I hear his gaff is quite big already.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for Thomas.

Injured shortly after signing and nearly sold on transfer deadline day , I didn't think there was anyway he would get a new contract offer.

But after a couple of decent performances that show he is a versatile and  pretty sound back-up
    I wonder if he might now get an extension?

I'd be very worried if both he AND Hector were offered new contracts. One or the other as a third/4th choice cover maybe but I'd give the edge to Hector for his experience at higher levels and better fitness. 

Signing both again says midtable ambition to me.
    If Hector stays which I hope he does then I very much doubt he will be 3rd / 4th choice. My concern is that if he remains fit with us until the seasons end, he’ll probably get offers from a few Championship clubs. Keeping hold of Hector might be our problem and offering him 3rd or 4th choice is definitely seeing him leave. In any case he’d be one of the better CB’s at our level and definitely better than a backup.
  • Options
    I would like to keep both Hector and Thomas.

Hector ( hopefully) will be the sort of centre back who we could build a promotion team around. I would hope that these discussions may have already taken place. It is possible that he likes being at home in London and staying here would appeal.

Thomas is a squad player especially if we play with 3 centre backs. Could we do better for the wages?
  • Options
    Cannot believe someone has mentioned hector being 3/4 choice 🤣 the bloke will have championship suitors let alone worrying about being reserve back up at charlton next season if he carries on in this form. 
    I meant it more in the sense that I want to see other CBs coming in of at least the same level as Hector. 

Plus of course "carrying on in this form" is something of a perennial issue at Charlton for both individual players and as a team. There's great performances for a while before the inevitable slump.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Cannot believe someone has mentioned hector being 3/4 choice 🤣 the bloke will have championship suitors let alone worrying about being reserve back up at charlton next season if he carries on in this form. 
    I meant it more in the sense that I want to see other CBs coming in of at least the same level as Hector. 

Plus of course "carrying on in this form" is something of a perennial issue at Charlton for both individual players and as a team. There's great performances for a while before the inevitable slump.
    We’ve not aquired players that are still Championship standard for quite a while. I think Hector fits that bill. That’s what you get with better quality players. Greater levels of consistency. Those we’ve got from Championship clubs in recent times have in the main been on the way down, injury prone,  too old and generally disappointing. I don’t think Hector is any of those. Sadly I’d be amazed if we are able to keep hold of him. 
  • Options
    Glad Thomas is doing well but we shouldn't be keeping him. We should hopefully be looking to re-sign Hector and then sign at least another first choice centre back, two if we let Inniss go. Hector, Ness, a quality first choice CB and Inniss/another player would be enough for a squad. Thomas isn't as good as the others and I really wouldn't want him filling in at left back for a whole season. Him staying would be a bad sign.
  • Options
    Thomas is an average L1 standard CB, whereas Hector has a much better pedigree. I have no problem with Thomas being say 4th choice (if we play 2 CBs rather than 3), but that depends on whether we can move on Lavelle. We don't want both Lavelle and Thomas.
  • Options
    Thomas in St Lucia team that won
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    St Lucia ranked 172 in the world...
  • Options
    Makes you wonder why he was without a club for so long especially seeing as he wasn't injured.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder why he was without a club for so long especially seeing as he wasn't injured.
    Seem to remember on another thread that he had some personal/family things he was going through, would imagine that he's put enough away that he could easily get by for a while if needed without the regular income.
  • Options
    St Lucia won second match 3-1 with Thomas playing
  • Options
    Dont think he is bad player at all. Issues with fitness yes but much more versatile than Lavelle. 

Would like to keep him tbh.
  • Options
    Dont think he is bad player at all. Issues with fitness yes but much more versatile than Lavelle. 

Oh god, just trying to imagine Lavelle at LB.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

If we keep Inniss, Hector, Ness and Thomas that doesn’t leave room to sign anyone better.

We need to move our worst players on and replace them with first choice players.
    Get what your saying but I dont think he is a bad player. He has been unfortunate with not starting, fitness issues etc. Holden has come in with clean slate and when offered the chance, Thomas has done well. 

Wont cry if he went but do think he can contribute if given the chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Not saying he’s a bad player but if we keep everyone who can “do a job” we won’t improve the squad.
    If we get rid of everyone who is only "do a job" level we will end up short of numbers, quality or both. 

Not to say that we should or shouldn't keep TT or any other specific player but there's going to have to be some pragmatism involved. If Hector does sign a longer deal then I fully expect one or another of Thomas or Inniss to be retained as well, for example.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Not saying he’s a bad player but if we keep everyone who can “do a job” we won’t improve the squad.
    If we get rid of everyone who is only "do a job" level we will end up short of numbers, quality or both. 

Not to say that we should or shouldn't keep TT or any other specific player but there's going to have to be some pragmatism involved. If Hector does sign a longer deal then I fully expect one or another of Thomas or Inniss to be retained as well, for example.
    Agree, there has to be a balance otherwise we’ll need too many new signings which could spread the budget too thinly and means we’ll have a lot more players who need time to settle in.

Realistically we don’t need 4 top quality CBs either, we wouldn’t keep them all happy and some of the budget could be spent on improving other positions.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:

Agree, there has to be a balance otherwise we’ll need too many new signings which could spread the budget too thinly and means we’ll have a lot more players who need time to settle in.

Realistically we don’t need 4 top quality CBs either, we wouldn’t keep them all happy and some of the budget could be spent on improving other positions.
    My hypothetical is that next season would see Hector (hopefully) and Ness as the first choice pairing, with one out of Thomas or Inniss as the back up CB and someone like Kane (or going back for the Blackburn guy) who can fill in at multiple positions if needed.

Given TT has been able to cover LB as well then that's a point in his favour as well. I'd be apprehensive to see TT and Inniss shifted on BEFORE a theoretical new signing was made as that seems a bit of a gamble.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:

My hypothetical is that next season would see Hector (hopefully) and Ness as the first choice pairing, with one out of Thomas or Inniss as the back up CB and someone like Kane (or going back for the Blackburn guy) who can fill in at multiple positions if needed.

Given TT has been able to cover LB as well then that's a point in his favour as well. I'd be apprehensive to see TT and Inniss shifted on BEFORE a theoretical new signing was made as that seems a bit of a gamble.
    forgive me but when he played LB who was it against now, FGR and Cambridge wasn't it? Two teams in the bottom four. Wouldn't judge him being a competent LB or not with that as the benchmark.
  • Options
    Next year’s centre back group should be Ness, one of Inniss or Thomas and two more starting quality players. Hopefully one of those is Hector.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:

forgive me but when he played LB who was it against now, FGR and Cambridge wasn't it? Two teams in the bottom four. Wouldn't judge him being a competent LB or not with that as the benchmark.
    Nor would I personally but I certainly can see it being the logic used by the Sandgaard’s of the world. 

For clarity, this is my expectations based on current evidence. It's certainly not what I would consider an ideal solution, very far from it.
  • Options
    He was off to Forest Green at the end of the January window. It was only when Wrexham came in for O’Connell with a cash sum, we did a u turn on the deal, as we then worked out we was going to be short on Centre backs

• Options
    He's a back-up cb for a mid-table league one team, which is exactly his level. If we want to be challenging for playoffs he shouldn't be anywhere near our team
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    He's a back-up cb for a mid-table league one team, which is exactly his level. If we want to be challenging for playoffs he shouldn't be anywhere near our team
    especially with our luck with mid to long-term injuries any "back-up" players next season need to be good enough to step in for an extended period of time and our team not massively weakened!