Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - June 2023: 1 year contract extension confirmed (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Time to step up Terell. The door is wide open. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Will no doubt get his chance soon.
  • Options
    Next Saturday, hopefully.
  • Options
    Inniss & Thomas?
  • Options
    Definitely need one of the CBs to have quick feet and a bit more pace.

If Thomas ticks that box, then he needs to be given his chance.
    Can't be having both Lavelle and O'Connell playing together as 1st choice -  a combination far too slow and ponderous.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Can't be having both Lavelle and O'Connell playing together as 1st choice -  a combination far too slow and ponderous.

Lavelle is a half decent squad player at this level, nothing more. Problem is that also describes about 15 more of the squad
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Lavelle is a half decent squad player at this level, nothing more. Problem is that also describes about 15 more of the squad
    Lavelle is normally solid and dependable enough even to be considered as a regular starter ........  but only in combination with a CB partner who has quicker feet and responses - we need one of the CBs to have a bit more pace, quicker anticipation and recovery at the back. 

We can't afford to play 2 slow CBs together. That's likely to be exploited by sharp opposition, as we saw at Barnsley.

• Options
    Not sure I agree, can't actually remember Lavelle having a decent game for us. Always looks slow, not great on the ball, and not that great in the air either. When ever he plays we always look at seas.. 
  • Options
    TT has to be no worse than OConnell doesn't he?
    Who he plays next to out of Innis - erratic & injury prone  or Lavelle - lightweight, slow and indecisive  is Hobson's choice.

This desperately leaky defence needs shoring up by any and all means necessary - 2 holding CMF's? 3 CH's ? 
     Most of all these dimwitted poor passing numpties can't be expected to pass it about when there's any pressure on at all - we ain't conceding from row Z or the far end of the pitch - not straight away certainly.  They can't do the ticky tacky pissing about stuff -  10 games has that proved beyond doubt -  persisting with it is gratuitous self harm.  One more game of that fanciful risk taking means Garner is a narcissist or a nincompoop.  Either amounts to 11 points from 10 games and impending relegation.  The Plymouth game is the outlier by an order of magnitude, 1 other win from 9 games scoring 9 goals is just awful.  Only Burton have accrued fewer points over the last 6, everybody else, bar Bristol, has won at least once in that time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assume we’ve signed him to play!! Got to be given a chance surely. After what we’ve been seeing lately!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    So he's still here, and may well be under the spotlight shortly. I liked the look of his YouTube video when we signed him (yes I know), and thought he showed a few nice touches when he's played, bearing in mind it was under Garnerball.
    However, if he has to start due to injury it's squeaky bum time. Hope he does well, I really do. I know many of you think he's rubbish, so I assume you've seen more of him than I have.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So he's still here, and may well be under the spotlight shortly. I liked the look of his YouTube video when we signed him (yes I know), and thought he showed a few nice touches when he's played, bearing in mind it was under Garnerball.
    However, if he has to start due to injury it's squeaky bum time. Hope he does well, I really do. I know many of you think he's rubbish, so I assume you've seen more of him than I have.

I quite like the look of the player myself, look forward to seeing him play.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

To be at their best, players need to play games, need to be match fit.

It's not been easy for Thomas this season. He was signed as cover, never needed until October, playing twice and scoring a goal, then got injured for 2 months.
    Barely recovered, was thrust back in the side to start without any matchfitness or sharpness - and surprise, surprise, he wasn't sharp or matchfit.

The jury on Charlton Life judged him as sh*t, get rid.

Okay, the manager is no doubt aware of Thomas' srengths and limitations - and hasn't started him since.
    But then Holden didn't start O'Connell either and then flogged him suddenly for £350k.

Inniss and Ness have formed a decent CB pairing, and apart from an occasional blip, have been reliable.
    Thomas isn't going to dislodge them unless one of them has to come out of the side.

He'll no doubt be on the bench on Saturday.

• Options
    What doesn't help is that clearly everyone expected Thomas to leave yesterday, until it was pulled at the last minute. 

If we had planned to keep him, he would have been on the bench in recent weeks and playing the U21s to get some match fitness, e.g. on Monday.
  • Options
    He did play a recent U21 game, but not on Monday.
  • Options
    What doesn't help is that clearly everyone expected Thomas to leave yesterday, until it was pulled at the last minute. 

If we had planned to keep him, he would have been on the bench in recent weeks and playing the U21s to get some match fitness, e.g. on Monday.
    No doubt. But he's here for the rest of the season, and in his role as CB cover.

He was a big favourite at Wimbledon in League One a couple of years ago.
    If he gets another chance, we may be surprised if he gets a run of games?

• Options
    Richard J said:
    I liked him when I saw him play in his previous spell with us in the U23’s and Friendlies.I was disappointed when he left.

Out of all the free agent Centre Backs the only name who I would have preferred was Michael Hector and I suspect he wouldn’t have signed on at L1 level to be a squad player.

This also means that there is less chance of pressure to play Ness before he is ready, so I see the signing as a positive one.
    This was my comment when he signed his one year contract. Still think he could do well. Interesting that Ness is now 'ready' and Hector has replaced EOC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Leaves us slightly short of cover at the back on Saturday
  • Options
    clive said:
    Stupidity. Just like with Lyle Taylor. Injury incoming whilst away. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Glad he's doing well. Always thought he might turn out to be ok.
  • Options
    It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for Thomas.

Injured shortly after signing and nearly sold on transfer deadline day , I didn't think there was anyway he would get a new contract offer.

But after a couple of decent performances that show he is a versatile and  pretty sound back-up
    I wonder if he might now get an extension?

• Options
    It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for Thomas.

Injured shortly after signing and nearly sold on transfer deadline day , I didn't think there was anyway he would get a new contract offer.

But after a couple of decent performances that show he is a versatile and  pretty sound back-up
    I wonder if he might now get an extension?

I'd be very worried if both he AND Hector were offered new contracts. One or the other as a third/4th choice cover maybe but I'd give the edge to Hector for his experience at higher levels and better fitness. 

Signing both again says midtable ambition to me.
  • Options
    I think he has done a lot better filling in at LB than when he played at CB. I’ve been surprised by that as I thought he was pretty mediocre.