Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match (+post p15) Thread: Colchester Utd v Charlton | Papa Johns | Tue 4th Oct 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Payne as a false 9. Pure @Leuth ball
    Better yet: DJ!
    Yeah realised it’s probably that after posting.

Imagine if he turns into the striker of our dreams!
  • Options
    I assume Aaron Henry is injured.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Garner said last week Aaron Henry was having a scan.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Also if this is anything to go by then looks like Garner is looking to play Stockley and Leaburn up top from the start next game.
    I think it makes sense to, especially if DJ manages to perform well as back up in that position. 
  • Options
    Is that 8 outfield players that would self describe as at least midfield curious?
  • Options
    Can someone explain the idea of a false 9, or I suppose any false number? Is it someone playing in an unnatural position?
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    I want to see DJ in centre mid
    Don’t think he’s played there has he? Up front is fine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can someone explain the idea of a false 9, or I suppose any false number? Is it someone playing in an unnatural position?
    It's basically playing without a center forward and a "number 10" pushing on. 
    Thanks, and what are the reasons behind that, does it offer something different? Presumably so?
  • Options
    I can’t see many goals in that line-up 🥱
  • Options
    WAsnt going to bother with this one but curious to see how Payne and DJ get on  with what I assume will be alternating through the middle.

• Options
    I can’t see many goals in that line-up 🥱
    The optimist in me says that this is basically an exercise in getting the midfielders to practice their shooting without having the option to lay off to the strikers. The cynic in me says we're going to end up spending all night sending crosses in to shortarses who get beaten in the air.
  • Options
    All I will say about this game is wide is less of a crime than high.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Thanks, and what are the reasons behind that, does it offer something different? Presumably so?
    The opposition center backs don't have anyone to mark, if you do it properly, and end up in all sorts off funny positions where they don't want to be.

Spain did it brilliantly with Cesc.

Or you just don't have a center foward...
  • Options
    When was the last time we started a game without a recognised striker in the lineup I wonder?
  • Options
    Anyone got pictures yet or just some bloke giving a press conference?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    When was the last time we started a game without a recognised striker in the lineup I wonder?
    Last season, for about a month?
  • Options
    Morgan starts 
    I imagine we will be shit he will be the scapegoat
    Corrected  ;)
  • Options
    Anyone got pictures yet or just some bloke giving a press conference?
    Ignore. I've got pictures now!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Depends how wide Seth. Just over the bar is better than heading for the corner flag (or out for a throw as I remember Steve MacKenzie managing on a memorable occasion when I was a kid).
  • Options
    Who is Patrick Casey?

he sounds like an Irish golfer
  • Options
    If DJ plays through the middle, I imagine he will actually play more as a "true" 9 than a false one
  • Options
    All together now ... we all dream of a team of midfielders, a team of midfielders, a team of midfielders.

Who does Garner think we are, Barcelona? Poor old Stockley must've worn himself out scoring that goal on Saturday
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    Depends how wide Seth. Just over the bar is better than heading for the corner flag (or out for a throw as I remember Steve MacKenzie managing on a memorable occasion when I was a kid).
    My reasoning aliwibble is that a shot heading wide has more of a chance of a beneficial deflection than a shot heading over.
    We don't have a lot of height out there this evening, especially featuring in open play up front, so I am looking for shots.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The opposition center backs don't have anyone to mark, if you do it properly, and end up in all sorts off funny positions where they don't want to be.

Spain did it brilliantly with Cesc.

Or you just don't have a center foward...
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:
    Last season, for about a month?
    You are misremembering. Stockley, Washington and Aneke were out, but Burstow and Davison were in the side.
    Imagine those riches, 5 strikers to choose from!