Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    How is that not a red card?
  • Options
    Looked like he dived - I couldnt see contact. If there was its a red, but I didnt see contact.
  • Options
    I don’t think that was a pen, looked like a dive 
  • Options
    Simply has to be a red if it is a penalty.  He had an open goal to knock it into.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    You only get a straight red card when you give away a penalty for dangerous play now (hence Porteous getting a red for Scotland last night but Spain not getting one just now).
  • Options
    Didn't think he touched him. Not a pen for me.
  • Options
    VAR is soulless nonsense.
  • Options
    Var is bollocks. Like watching American football all of a sudden
  • Options
    That is insane. Spain should be down to 10 men.  Would at least have made the final mins interesting.
  • Options
    Fell over his own feet/dived rather than score an open goal.

Pathetic from the ref and VAR - wasn't a penalty, and if it was it was a sending off, penalty and a yellow was wrong twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR is soulless nonsense.
    There were Spanish players who encroached as well so shouldn’t the penalty have been retaken?
  • Options
    English ref centre of attention as per usual. 
  • Options
    Surely if you take a player out as he's about to put the ball into an empty net, it should be a red
  • Options
    That is insane. Spain should be down to 10 men.  Would at least have made the final mins interesting.
    I don’t think it was a penalty in the first place, and even if it was it’s not a red card.
  • Options
    The Spain Luck has been crazy in this game.
  • Options
    Was never a pen. Didn't even touch him, went down after kicking the floor once past Rodri.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    You only get a straight red card when you give away a penalty for dangerous play now (hence Porteous getting a red for Scotland last night but Spain not getting one just now).
    Cheers 
  • Options
    English refs best in the world :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 15
    se9addick said:
    I don’t think it was a penalty in the first place, and even if it was it’s not a red card.
    I wasn't convinced it was, looked like he dived to me. But if you give the pen then it has to be a red as he clearly had an open goal and so it was stopping a clear shot on goal.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I wasn't convinced it was, looked like he dived to me. But if you give the pen then it has to be a red as he clearly had an open goal and so it was stopping a clear shot on goal.
    We’ll simply never know which one of us is right because the American woman ITV have hired to explain the rules to us wasn’t available for comment! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off.

• Options
    https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off.

Fair enough. Has that changed or was it always like that?
  • Options

Changed a couple of years ago I think (it was described as doing away with “double jeopardy”).
  • Options

Changed about five years ago I believe… it was felt that a penalty (which is scored 80% of the time anyway) and being down to ten men was too harsh a punishment for genuine attempts to play the ball.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    What are the rules about contrasting shorts? Scotland wore all blue yesterday instead of their regular white shorts, but Spain are allowed to wear their usual blue shorts.
    Scotland seem to have moved (both football and rugby teams) in recent tears to all blue. We’ve only had white shorts in recent times when there has been a kit clash. 
    Scotland have had all navy as the primary kit colours in the past, famously at Euro 96 and again in 2007-08. Its been a few years since the last time the classic navy-white-red colours was the main kit though, 2017-19 I think?
  • Options
    Was Rodri challenging for the ball or challenging the man? If the latter, then he should have been red carded . I'd need another replay to check that.

As it is, the Croat fell over his own shoes 2 seconds later.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    What are the rules about contrasting shorts? Scotland wore all blue yesterday instead of their regular white shorts, but Spain are allowed to wear their usual blue shorts.
    Scotland seem to have moved (both football and rugby teams) in recent tears to all blue. We’ve only had white shorts in recent times when there has been a kit clash. 
    Scotland have had all navy as the primary kit colours in the past, famously at Euro 96 and again in 2007-08. It’s been a few years since the last time the classic navy-white-red colours was the kit though, 2017-19 I think?
    Yeah they did the navy white red combo as a commemorative kit for some notable anniversary 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Scotland have had all navy as the primary kit colours in the past, famously at Euro 96 and again in 2007-08. It’s been a few years since the last time the classic navy-white-red colours was the kit though, 2017-19 I think?
    There was a special anniversary kit last year or the year before that they wore for two matches (including a friendly against England I think) that had the traditional colours, it was really nice. I much prefer it to the all blue. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Yeah they did the navy white red combo as a commemorative kit for some notable anniversary 
    Yeah it looked smart too, should have been the primary kit and not a one-off. 
  • Options
    Was Rodri challenging for the ball or challenging the man? If the latter, then he should have been red carded . I'd need another replay to check that.

As it is, the Croat fell over his own shoes 2 seconds later.
    Definitely an argument to be had over what Rodri’s actual intent was. But that’s the type of grey area that everyone would prefer VAR to stay out of.