Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

1919293949597»

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Although Spain's players are obviously a fair bit better, one positive is the types of threats we will face from Spain are similar to what Switzerland would have considered theirs as well. Switzerland had a bloke up front who can hold the ball up and bring the talented wingers into the game who would cut in to allow an overlap and use their pace to get into shooting positions. They also had a deep midfielder who would orchestrate play to keep things ticking over. We neutralised both of those things. Konsa did a proper job on Embolo, Saka did his tracking to keep Vargas out of the game and we stifled Xhaka's influence. When Ndoye started revving up we brought Shaw on at LCB and Eze at LWB to create more forward thrust and force him back into his own half. 
    Yes Rodri, Williams and Yamal are better players but we've shown really strong defensive organisation and strategy defensively, it's our attacking speed that has been the problem. I think they're vulnerable down the right, Le Normand isn't brilliant, though I wish Carvajal had been suspended against us as Jesus Navas would have had a tough time. Our biggest fear is going to be that centrally they have a midfield that can drive the ball up the pitch very effectively and for all he's been very good in possession Mainoo's positioning in transition isn't great and he doesn't provide the best protection to the defence.
    Are they really 'a fair bit better'? Player for player it is really very close indeed I'd say. Lamal and Williams are very good but Saka and Foden are also very good and more experienced. Would you pick Olmo over Bellingham? Rodri versus Rice seems clear-cut but they're both excellent Premiership players in the position. Really comes down to the defences, and I'd not say there's much difference there either 
    Sorry, I meant a fair bit better than Switzerland's when making the style comparison. Rodri over Xhaka and Williams over Vargas
  • Leuth said:
    Although Spain's players are obviously a fair bit better, one positive is the types of threats we will face from Spain are similar to what Switzerland would have considered theirs as well. Switzerland had a bloke up front who can hold the ball up and bring the talented wingers into the game who would cut in to allow an overlap and use their pace to get into shooting positions. They also had a deep midfielder who would orchestrate play to keep things ticking over. We neutralised both of those things. Konsa did a proper job on Embolo, Saka did his tracking to keep Vargas out of the game and we stifled Xhaka's influence. When Ndoye started revving up we brought Shaw on at LCB and Eze at LWB to create more forward thrust and force him back into his own half. 
    Yes Rodri, Williams and Yamal are better players but we've shown really strong defensive organisation and strategy defensively, it's our attacking speed that has been the problem. I think they're vulnerable down the right, Le Normand isn't brilliant, though I wish Carvajal had been suspended against us as Jesus Navas would have had a tough time. Our biggest fear is going to be that centrally they have a midfield that can drive the ball up the pitch very effectively and for all he's been very good in possession Mainoo's positioning in transition isn't great and he doesn't provide the best protection to the defence.
    Are they really 'a fair bit better'? Player for player it is really very close indeed I'd say. Lamal and Williams are very good but Saka and Foden are also very good and more experienced. Would you pick Olmo over Bellingham? Rodri versus Rice seems clear-cut but they're both excellent Premiership players in the position. Really comes down to the defences, and I'd not say there's much difference there either 
    Performance-wise this tournament they have been a fair bit better. 

In terms of overall quality of what the teams are capable of, it's pretty even. 

• Fair play mate, Scotland have had the piss ripped out of them on here during this tournament, very restrained (and funny) post by you tonight.
  • Been a good tournament. Good crowds, some decent games in the groups, just about no grief in the town centres afterwards (though I think there were problems getting out of some grounds). Love that it's in one country that cares about football. Nice work, Germany.
  • Our turn to host it next.

Can't wait for other Nations to experience the fluidity of our travel, let alone the cost of it.

The questions: "Why have they never hosted the World Cup since '66" will no doubt be answered, we've got the Stadiums and potentially the Hotels - But getting around the country could be an eye opener, what with reliability / cost.
  • Our turn to host it next.

Can't wait for other Nations to experience the fluidity of our travel, let alone the cost of it.

The questions: "Why have they never hosted the World Cup since '66" will no doubt be answered, we've got the Stadiums and potentially the Hotels - But getting around the country could be an eye opener, what with reliability / cost.
    Sounds like Germany then!

• The questions: "Why have they never hosted the World Cup since '66" will no doubt be answered
    Not bribing FIFA enough is the answer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckvgkgq9yeqo

Germany’s reputation for super-efficiency has suffered a body blow.

As football fans poured in and out of cities across the country for Euro 2024, they discovered the trains weren’t as good as they thought.

One supporters’ group even said services were better when Russia hosted the World Cup.

• https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckvgkgq9yeqo

Germany’s reputation for super-efficiency has suffered a body blow.

As football fans poured in and out of cities across the country for Euro 2024, they discovered the trains weren’t as good as they thought.

One supporters’ group even said services were better when Russia hosted the World Cup.

Spent a lot of time on German trains over the past month. 90% of the time they were fine. But the other 10% of the time were nothing short of a disaster.

I never want to go to Gelsenkirchen (Schalke) ever again after the ordeal of trying to get out of there after the Serbia game.