Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Here's a stat we wont want to hear. Spain / Spanish sides have won every Final they've been in since 2001 (22-games)
    Same with Scotland
    Well, that’s neither funny or true.
    Oh sorry. Which Scottish Final defeat did I forget? 
  • Hi Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Here's a stat we wont want to hear. Spain / Spanish sides have won every Final they've been in since 2001 (22-games)
    Same with Scotland
    Rangers in the Europa League
  • edited July 12
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Same with Scotland
    Rangers two years ago and 2008 and Celtic 2003 
  • Seen a few stats & trends around that favour the Spaniards, so here’s some that point towards England…

- The last time a major tournament was held in Germany, the team who won the semi final in Dortmund went on to win the final.

- Since the tournament expanded to 24 teams, each eventual winning team has gone to extra time in 3 of their 4 knockout games - including the final. England have played two periods of extra time so far, Spain only one.

- In the last three European Championships, the team who has played the most games before the final at the venue of the final has lost the final (England 5 / Italy 1, France 2 / Portugal 0, Italy 1 / Spain 0) - Spain have already played in Berlin, England have not.

With facts like that it's surely coming home! 
  • Have England got a better team, than the last time they were in a final?
    I'd say so, we have alot more options on the bench to change games. Saka, Bellingham, Foden are alot more experience than 3 years ago 
  • Spain have played well all tournament so they are due a poor game. :)

better squad....bench has game changers on it
  • Sponsored links:

Yes.  Despite the obvious, temporary limitations of Harry Kane and his apparent lack of sharpness, the compromise choices having to be made at full-back and the inconsistent form of Phil Foden, the current team is, on paper, player-for-player, better than the last England finalists.  With the possible exception of Mary Earps.  
    Yes, this one has players with experience in playing in the final whereas the last one hadn’t. 
  • The biggest difference this time is the quality of opposition, Spain are a far better side than Italy were. We won't see a huge amount of the ball but that could suit us if there are gaps for us to break into when we turnover possession.
    This was the team that started the last final:

Saka only came off the bench etc.

The formation is a bit lopsided this time so not exactly the same.  I'd rather have the fitter Kane and Shaw from that tournament, probably Walker was slightly better 3 years ago too, and you'd maybe have Maguire over Guehi?

But Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Mainoo are better than Trippier, Mount, Sterling, Phillips (sacrilege I know!).

I'd probably say we'd definitely be better off now if Kane and Shaw were fully fit.
    not a chance - surely Magure's international career is now definitely over.

I wasn't overly sure on Guehi before the tournament, probably as I didn't recall seeing much of him, but he's been one of more outstanding performers.

Certainly wouldn't swap Philips / Sterling / Mount for Mainoo / Foden / Bellingham

Yes. Agree with Eltham addict we have attacking game changers from the bench as long as GS doesn't leave it until the 89th and 91st minute ever again as he was the luckiest manager going to get away with a forward making a difference in two minutes with a flick on against the mighty Slovakia ( I wish I could move on but I'm still gutted that Ramsey took Bobby Charlton off against Germany when we were 2-0 up and we lost 3-2 because the *Kaiser could then push forward !)

Saka, Kane and the free kick winning Sterling. The same Sterling who once went over 30 games without scoring but still got picked because we were so bereft of quality up front early in his England days.

What would any manager give to work with Kane, Watkins,Toney, Saka, Bowen, Gordon, plus Foden, Bellingham and Mainroo in attacking drills.

* Look it up on YouTube, you young Doughnuts!
  • Not long ago, Scotland beat Spain. 
  • edited July 12
    Did anyone apply/get tickets for the O2 ballot then? I applied but assume missed out as never heard back.

The formation is a bit lopsided this time so not exactly the same.  I'd rather have the fitter Kane and Shaw from that tournament, probably Walker was slightly better 3 years ago too, and you'd maybe have Maguire over Guehi?

But Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Mainoo are better than Trippier, Mount, Sterling, Phillips (sacrilege I know!).

I'd probably say we'd definitely be better off now if Kane and Shaw were fully fit.

I wasn't overly sure on Guehi before the tournament, probably as I didn't recall seeing much of him, but he's been one of more outstanding performers.

Certainly wouldn't swap Philips / Sterling / Mount for Mainoo / Foden / Bellingham
    The comparison isn't Maguire now versus Guehi, but rather the 2021 Maguire against Guehi, and he's definitely a miss as he's great at carrying the ball out of defence, and a real threat in the opposition box at set pieces. 

The big difference between the 2021 and 2024 finals is that Spain are a MUCH better footballing side, packed with young, exciting talent. Italy in 2021 massively overachieved in that tournament, as shown by their failures in all the competitions before and after then.

2021, with home advantage, should have been ours.

I mean 2021 Maguire v Guehi now.  Maguire was in the team of the tournament that year, was a threat at set pieces and scored an absolute banger of a penalty in the shoot-out.

I'd definitely take Guehi over 2024 Maguire.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 12
    England will be the first team in Euro/World Cup history to face five different countries all beginning with the same letter in a single tournament - Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain.

Sibilance Soapbox Sam:
    Stoneroses saw Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain surely Succumb since several signs signal success.
  • Spain are a good side,but,this is not the Spain of Iniesta,Xavi,Sergio Ramos,Carlos puyol etc.They have good young wide men,are they better than Zaka and Foden,do they have better defenders than Stones or Walker,is their keeper better than Pickford.The one man who frightens me is Rodri who is the most complete midfielder in the game today.Somehow,overcome this man and we will win the game.
  • The Baddiel / Lightning Seeds song is now considered a bit bad luck, especially when others sing it back at us. It’s become like the Scottish Play.

Maybe the spell will be broken on Sunday? 
  • The Baddiel / Lightning Seeds song is now considered a bit bad luck, especially when others sing it back at us. It’s become like the Scottish Play.

Maybe the spell will be broken on Sunday? 
    Ssssssshhhhhhhhh.
    We're on page 96!
  • Spain are a good side,but,this is not the Spain of Iniesta,Xavi,Sergio Ramos,Carlos puyol etc.They have good young wide men,are they better than Zaka and Foden,do they have better defenders than Stones or Walker,is their keeper better than Pickford.The one man who frightens me is Rodri who is the most complete midfielder in the game today.Somehow,overcome this man and we will win the game.
    I mean they're not exactly mugs are they? Easily the best team we've seen throughout this tournament. Rodri is a beast, and in Yamal and Williams they've got 2 wingers who can win a game on their own. Also got a manager who has an 80% win record with them, and is going for a hat trick after already winning both the U19 Euro's and U21 Euro's.

But of course all the above counts for very little and anything can happen in a one off game. As proven when Spain lost to Scotland in qualifying!
  • Although Spain's players are obviously a fair bit better, one positive is the types of threats we will face from Spain are similar to what Switzerland would have considered theirs as well. Switzerland had a bloke up front who can hold the ball up and bring the talented wingers into the game who would cut in to allow an overlap and use their pace to get into shooting positions. They also had a deep midfielder who would orchestrate play to keep things ticking over. We neutralised both of those things. Konsa did a proper job on Embolo, Saka did his tracking to keep Vargas out of the game and we stifled Xhaka's influence. When Ndoye started revving up we brought Shaw on at LCB and Eze at LWB to create more forward thrust and force him back into his own half. 
    Yes Rodri, Williams and Yamal are better players but we've shown really strong defensive organisation and strategy defensively, it's our attacking speed that has been the problem. I think they're vulnerable down the right, Le Normand isn't brilliant, though I wish Carvajal had been suspended against us as Jesus Navas would have had a tough time. Our biggest fear is going to be that centrally they have a midfield that can drive the ball up the pitch very effectively and for all he's been very good in possession Mainoo's positioning in transition isn't great and he doesn't provide the best protection to the defence.
    I mean they're not exactly mugs are they? Easily the best team we've seen throughout this tournament. Rodri is a beast, and in Yamal and Williams they've got 2 wingers who can win a game on their own. Also got a manager who has an 80% win record with them, and is going for a hat trick after already winning both the U19 Euro's and U21 Euro's.

But of course all the above counts for very little and anything can happen in a one off game. As proven when Spain lost to Scotland in qualifying!
    This Spain side are a better watch then the one that won everything, personally found all that sideways passing boring, much prefer the more direct play by this current Spanish side.
  • Although Spain's players are obviously a fair bit better, one positive is the types of threats we will face from Spain are similar to what Switzerland would have considered theirs as well. Switzerland had a bloke up front who can hold the ball up and bring the talented wingers into the game who would cut in to allow an overlap and use their pace to get into shooting positions. They also had a deep midfielder who would orchestrate play to keep things ticking over. We neutralised both of those things. Konsa did a proper job on Embolo, Saka did his tracking to keep Vargas out of the game and we stifled Xhaka's influence. When Ndoye started revving up we brought Shaw on at LCB and Eze at LWB to create more forward thrust and force him back into his own half. 
    Yes Rodri, Williams and Yamal are better players but we've shown really strong defensive organisation and strategy defensively, it's our attacking speed that has been the problem. I think they're vulnerable down the right, Le Normand isn't brilliant, though I wish Carvajal had been suspended against us as Jesus Navas would have had a tough time. Our biggest fear is going to be that centrally they have a midfield that can drive the ball up the pitch very effectively and for all he's been very good in possession Mainoo's positioning in transition isn't great and he doesn't provide the best protection to the defence.
    Are they really 'a fair bit better'? Player for player it is really very close indeed I'd say. Lamal and Williams are very good but Saka and Foden are also very good and more experienced. Would you pick Olmo over Bellingham? Rodri versus Rice seems clear-cut but they're both excellent Premiership players in the position. Really comes down to the defences, and I'd not say there's much difference there either 
  • Did anyone apply/get tickets for the O2 ballet then? I applied but assume missed out as never heard back.
    Yes, I've got my tutu ready
    Reminds me of a conversation with a friend in college about football style chanting at the ballet (alcohol may have been involved in the preparation for the conversation).

"Pas de Deux, Pas de Deux, Pas de Deux..."

"Dive like a swan...'

etc.

Well, it seemed funny at the time.