Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Austria could easily beat the Netherlands tomorrow anyway, to go ahead of them in the table.
    Oh yeah absolutely, there is far too much more football to be played out yet to be counting chickens i'm just saying that as it stands i'd definitely take it!
  • edited June 25
    Great atmosphere here tonight

• How were Spain?  Watched the other game.

Wondering if the fact they've only managed the one goal in the last games points towards them having the usual game at some point where they're the better team, miss chances, draw 0-0 and lose on penalties.

Wondering if the fact they've only managed the one goal in the last games points towards them having the usual game at some point where they're the better team, miss chances, draw 0-0 and lose on penalties.
    Rested 10 players tonight, so I don't think it's very representative!
  • edited June 25
    Rothko said:
    The Italian manager disproves the assumption that all Italians are stylish.
    Here’s a £2,000 Armani suit, now make it look as shit as possible 
    Looked like he'd left the hanger in the jacket.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Shielding the ball is permitted. A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offense as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.
    Thanks for that. I’ve maybe misunderstood something but honestly I now really don’t understand. This seems like a contradiction to me. If you’re not shielding the ball with your body, then what are you shielding it with?

This is going off topic so I'll continue it here:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/73816/if-you-could-change-one-rule-law-in-football-what-would-it-be/p3

• One round of games completed… if the groups were final at this moment in time, the round of 16 would look like this:

Spain(1B) v Czechia(3F)

Germany(1A) v Denmark(2C)

Turkey(1F) v Albania(3B)

France(2D) v Slovakia(2E)

Romania(1E) v Slovenia(3C)

Netherlands(1D) v Portugal(2F)

England(1C) v Poland(3D)

Switzerland(2A) v Italy(2B)

Updated after two games played:

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

Portugal(1F) v Slovenia(3C)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

Romania(1E) v Albania(3B)

Netherlands(1D) v Turkey(2F)

England(1C) v Austria(3D)

Update after Group A completed (teams in bold guaranteed):

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

Portugal(1F) v Hungary(3A)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

Update after Group B completed (teams in bold guaranteed):

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

Germany(1A) v Denmark(2C)

Portugal(1F) v Hungary(3A)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

Switzerland(2A) v Italy(2B)

Not much changes - only Italy confirms their place tonight.

Croatia aren't done yet - but they are relying on us beating Slovenia 3-0 or by four clear goals tomorrow (plus a few other silly results go their way).

Excellent, so it's all lined up nicely for our quarter final exit to Italy on penalties.
  • edited June 25
    I fully expect us to draw with Slovenia now, Denmark to beat Serbia 2-0 and so put us in the top half of the RO16.

Ironically if we draw 1-1, and Denmark win 1-0, then it'll come down to bookings as to who takes P1 - Meaning England will take top spot (As things stand, we've got just one booking... Denmark have four)
  • Sponsored links:

Rested 10 players tonight, so I don't think it's very representative!
    Ah ok cheers!
  • I fully expect us to draw with Slovenia now, Denmark to beat Serbia 2-0 and so put us in the top half of the RO16.

Ironically if we draw 1-1, and Denmark win 1-0, then it'll come down to bookings as to who takes P1 - Meaning England will take top spot (As things stand, we've got just one booking... Denmark have four)
    Cue England getting six yellows and a red tonight.
  • spain didn’t really need to get out of first gear. Rested ten players. Albania could have done more but seemed scared to proper go for it 
  • Another comment on Spain, they had 38 year old Javas Navas at right back and won 1-0

I think they'll do alright with the first team....
  • Another comment on Spain, they had 38 year old Javas Navas at right back and won 1-0

I think they'll do alright with the first team....
    Javas Navas?

Oh you mean Jesus Nesus.
  • We are through but it is important what your pathway is so a win in incredibly important tonight.
  • Theres a scenario where we could top the group on disciplinary record, would be very southgate thing to do.

If we draw 1-1 and denmark win 1-0 we will have the same points, GD and goals scored.

Currently denmark have had 3 yellows and we have had 0.
  • It still feels to me that the winner will come from Portugal, France, Germany or Spain.

With England, Holland, Belgium and Italy capable of getting the odd knockout win.

I felt that before a ball was kicked in this tournament and it still looks that way with the last round of group games still to be finished.
  • Theres a scenario where we could top the group on disciplinary record, would be very southgate thing to do.

If we draw 1-1 and denmark win 1-0 we will have the same points, GD and goals scored.

Gallagher got booked against Denmark
  • Sponsored links:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him booked tonight too which would mean he's suspended for the next round
  • edited June 25
    fenaddick said:
    Theres a scenario where we could top the group on disciplinary record, would be very southgate thing to do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him booked tonight too which would mean he's suspended for the next round
    Would be a huge shame if that happened and a more natural fit for the formation like Mainoo or Wharton had to come in...
  • hermann said:
    fenaddick said:
    Theres a scenario where we could top the group on disciplinary record, would be very southgate thing to do.

Would be a huge shame if that happened and a more natural fit for the formation like Mainoo or Wharton had to come in...
    Knowing Southgate he'd probably try and play Lewis Dunk there
  • England 0-0 Slovenia 
  • fenaddick said:

Which is exactly what Southgate wants 
  • fenaddick said:

He's operating on a different level to us
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

He's operating on a different level to us

• CAFCTrev said:
    England 0-0 Slovenia 

Anyone who have followed England over tournament football know that during group games, we have a stinker (Denmark) a mediocre (Serbia) and a good performance (Slovenia) 🤞🏻
    Not always in that order but over the 3 game group format: The good, the bad and the ugly normally show up; one exception:

Under the lovely man that was Bobby Robson in the Euros we were so bad in 1988 that England lost 0-1 to ROI, 1-3 to Holland and 1-3 to the Soviet Union. We had put 4 past the impressive Yugoslavia in our last qualifying match before the Euros and many England fans said they had bet on England to win.

Bobby Robson made amends 2 years later in the 1990 World cup by reaching the semi final.

No England manager could lose all 3 group games and not get sacked now.

England will win tonight.
  • 3am kickoff, work at 8am….. thankfully it’s exam week, so there’s going to be some serious napping in the staff room tomorrow. 

It can’t be worse than Denmark, can it?