Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    Spain beat Georgia 7-1 away less than a year ago, hopefully will be much closer this time!  Still expect Spain to win but they should give them a tough test.
  • Options

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Croydon said:
    No excuses now with that draw! Anything less than the final is a failure imo
    Still got Italy and Netherlands our side of the draw, cant take Slovakia for granted either - Way we are playing, I wont be surprised by a Iceland repeat.

Lets just take one game at a time, and not put needless pressure on the players!!
    Good point. I hear Bellingham, Kane and co are avid Charlton Life readers, so we wouldn’t want them to see these posts. Apparently Pickford loves General Things That Annoy You as well.
    Bet: "Getting no reward for saving penalties in a Euro Final" is at the top of his list.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Croydon said:
    Still got Italy and Netherlands our side of the draw, cant take Slovakia for granted either - Way we are playing, I wont be surprised by a Iceland repeat.

Lets just take one game at a time, and not put needless pressure on the players!!
    Good point. I hear Bellingham, Kane and co are avid Charlton Life readers, so we wouldn’t want them to see these posts. Apparently Pickford loves General Things That Annoy You as well.
    Given Pickford's demeanour on the pitch, we'd have had to have closed that thread due to the risk of it taking down the whole site through sheer volume of posts.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Netherlands & Austria maybe meeting twice in 3 games is a funny one given teams are normally kept apart after meeting in the group, quirk of the 3rd place teams system I guess.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Georgia were absolutely magnificent. Shame they have to play an actually really good side next but it'll be a good game 
    They could well be the Morocco of this Tournament, given how problematic they were for Spain and Portugal at the World Cup.

They also had a La Liga Goalkeeper in their team who was a brick wall.
    I really like that goalie. Proper 'legend of the tournament' candidate 
  • Options
    Just watching the "VAR expert" justify the Georgia penalty on ITV.

Do these people ever, EVER, go against what the ref has ultimately given? I mean, what's the point of them if all they do is seek to justify all decisions - moody or not?
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Off_it said:

Do these people ever, EVER, go against what the ref has ultimately given? I mean, what's the point of them if all they do is seek to justify all decisions - moody or not?
    The ref didn’t give a penalty VAR did 

edit 
    or you saying the expert just goes with whatever happened 

I only caught the end of it 
    is she from the actual VAR for the match or just a punter 
  • Options
    edited June 26

Third time lucky for Southgate 
    3rd bye to the final on the spin 
    fucked the semi 2018
    fucked the final 2021 
    this is his moment he can’t keep nausing up these gifts 

• Options
    edited June 26
    Off_it said:

edit 

The American woman they wheel out just seems to justify the eventual decision, regardless of whether there's any controversy or not.

"There was contact" was all she could say. Even though she was asked twice if the minimal contact was enough to be construed as a foul. "There was contact".

But it's not just her. That Peter Whatshisface does the same, as does the Tranmere attention seeker on Sky - who we know likes to close ranks with the referees and back them whatever, cos he's admitted it!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

edit 

The American woman they wheel out just seems to justify the eventual decision, regardless of whether there's any controversy or not.

"There was contact" was all she could say. Even though she was asked twice if the minimal contact was enough to be construed as a foul. "There was contact".

But it's not just her. That Peter Whatshisface does the same, as does the Tranmere attention seeker on Sky - who we know likes to close ranks with the referees and back them whatever, cos he's admitted it!

What would we do without these people to explain what we have just watched on replay in slow motion 10 times? Thankfully she told us there was slight contact on the players foot. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
  • Options

Third time lucky for Southgate 
    3rd bye to the final on the spin 
    fucked the semi 2018
    fucked the final 2021 
    this is his moment he can keep nausing up these gifts 

Give Southgate a lifetime contract because he’s the luckiest manager in the history of knockout round draws..!
  • Options
    Whats the issue between Turkey and Czechia?
    Er, They knocked them out …
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure why this post has a lol, we have been gifted yet again, the easiest bracket run ever on paper to a final.

According to some people online, Italy are shit, so are Holland, and there's no other top nation on the right side of the bracket, so anything less than a final would be an utter failure. 
  • Options
    Certainly the draw looks VERY unbalanced now. 

Netherlands got even luckier than England. They came third in Group D, and the group winner they will face next is Romania! Whereas the second team in Group D France will face Belgium.

Austria will fancy beating Turkey, then either Netherlands or Romania. That's a great chance for them to reach the semi final, and they won't fear England or Italy.

Spain, having won all 3 games, are rewarded by potentially playing Germany in the QF and France in the SF.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Southgate said he'd not seen other nations fans boo after qualifying. He must have fallen off his chair when he saw the Belgium fans boo today
  • Options
    I thought the draw was set out so teams from the same groups then avoided each other in different halves of the draw. But if Austria and Holland both win they'll meet in the quarter final a week after playing in the group?
  • Options
    Certainly the draw looks VERY unbalanced now. 

Netherlands got even luckier than England. They came third in Group D, and the group winner they will face next is Romania! Whereas the second team in Group D France will face Belgium.

Austria will fancy beating Turkey, then either Netherlands or Romania. That's a great chance for them to reach the semi final, and they won't fear England or Italy.

Spain, having won all 3 games, are rewarded by potentially playing Germany in the QF and France in the SF.
    It is very unbalanced, but i doubt many people expected France and Belgium to be group runners up and therefore in that half of the draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the draw was set out so teams from the same groups then avoided each other in different halves of the draw. But if Austria and Holland both win they'll meet in the quarter final a week after playing in the group?
    When 3 teams qualify from a group, it's inevitable that 2 will be in the same side of the draw 
  • Options
    We have been predictably shit, and the more the tournament goes on, the more I don't like the team. The lack of accountability is embarrassing. No cohesion, no passion, no skill and it genuinely looks like a real lack of effort. That Rice segment pre-game was embarrassing. 'Half of England fans wanted us to play Trent in midfield' load of nonsense. He seemed genuinely annoyed over the criticism, and I don't understand why he's surprised at it. Show poor effort levels and skill, infront of one of the most passionate fan bases in any sport worldwide, you should expect moans and groans. 

Luckily for Southgate, we have been gifted an easy bracket again, so he can pad out his very ordinary England record, and inevitably lose to the first real challenge we face, as that's what usually happens. 

It's beyond frustrating having arguably, the best group of players in the tournament, and looking like one of the worst teams. 
    Google it from 2023... there are definitely articles from the media, and threads on reddit saying that TAA should be played in Midfield.

"Half the England fans wanted..." Is a stretch though

Didnt have issue with what Rice said myself - I find it weird how people are happy to slag off Footballers, but become very delicate and defensive when something comes the other way.
    Which was mainly focused on the fact he was struggling badly at right back, and people didn't want to see his talents go to waste. He's nowhere near aggressive enough to play in the midfield for England, and he isn't as smart or good on the ball as great midfielders like Fabregas, Modric, Iniesta etc. 

He's been heavily protected at Liverpool imo, when you've got arguably the best right winger ahead of you in the world, there's more the other team need to worry about. Think Klopps system and high press around the field has shielded him. 

It wasn't particularly with what Rice said I guess, it's more so the style of the video etc. Just came across really amateur and a bit cringe. I think most of the players energy has looked poor this tournament in general tbh, they look bored. Embarrassing energy levels when you compare to the smaller nations fighting for their lives. Really hoping I see more in the knock out stages or it's going to be quite disappointing.
  • Options
    edited June 27
    I genuinely hope we get Holland as we will either get fraud checked and be done with the Southgate experiment, or, a team that usually frustrates opponents, may force our players into showing a bit of determination. 

A tricky game against a Holland side with decent players could be the catalyst in gaining some momentum and going on a tournament run, anyone else will probably end up with us winning fairly comfortably, and getting exposed by Italy (likely) in the next round. 

Either way, before all the criticism has been thrown at these players, something has seemed off imo. The players energy on the pitch, the media footage. Just seems to be a bit of a divide in the camp. There's no way these players are this poor. 

I agree with you mate. I can’t believe that the squad is genuinely this shit so it feels like something isn’t quite right behind the scenes. I still think Southgate is on a “well I picked the players all you armchair experts wanted me to” kick and I wonder if that has soaked its way into the camp.  Or maybe the poor little darlings are tired after a long hard season. One way or another it feels a little off. 
    We will all know in the next few weeks. Either their foot is largely off the gas because of the groups, or, there's something wrong internally, cause how bad it's been, is inexcusable.

On paper you can view it as, topped the group, haven't lost yet, other top nations also having group difficulty, but I honestly don't care about the other top nations performance. We have a team full of champions league players, some winners, players of the season in respective leagues, golden boots, players who are contenders for the Ballon d'Or. The poor performances are baffling. 

This is meant to be a golden opportunity where most other nations are on a bit of rebuild or a fall off, and we are arguably at our best since the world cup winners on paper, and we don't look like we have it in us to go all the way. 

Hopefully we stuff Slovakia and players start waking up
  • Options
    that must be impossible to do when there's more than 2 teams from a group qualify
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Watching the Georgians play football against Portugal's 2nd eleven plus Ronaldo was a thing of beauty. 
    To see the sheer enjoyment of individual skill, yet tenacious team work was a blueprint on how the game should be played.
    Wonderful fans in unison with the players and backroom staff was joyous.

Polar opposite to watching paint dry from the English team and their needy critics.

Just pick Gordon, Palmer, Bellingham, Foden and Mainroo and tell them to run around and smile and let the ball be their paint brush. 😉 England are more Jackson Pollock than Leonardo da Vinci.

Poor old Southgate may have to be smuggled out in a basket if we don't stop playing with fear. Instead of going home with the trophy and being Sir Gareth of Crawley he may be exciled back to Middlesbrough (a fate worse than death)

Football can be a beautiful game as demonstrated by the Georgian grace and movement.
    Georgia  are unlikely to beat Spain but a breath of fresh air among the Halitosis.
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Thought as well as the two who scored and the keeper, the right wing back for Georgia, Kakabadze, had such a good game, looked so calm in defence and got forward quickly in support of the counter attacks too.

Had a look where he's playing, plays for Cracovia, which I thought was the fake country Tom Hanks comes from in The Terminal, but it actually a bottom half team in Poland, who get similar crowds to us.

Marking Pedro Neto, who's being linked with a £60m move to Arsenal or Liverpool.

International tournaments can be such a  great leveller!
  • Options
    Jammy barsteds.....then we fu.. it up.
  • Options
    Fuck France etc, they weren’t good enough to win their groups, we were. 

You sometimes create your own luck.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure why this post has a lol, we have been gifted yet again, the easiest bracket run ever on paper to a final.

According to some people online, Italy are shit, so are Holland, and there's no other top nation on the right side of the bracket, so anything less than a final would be an utter failure. 
    I always get my information from some people on line. I find it highly reliable. 
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Thought as well as the two who scored and the keeper, the right wing back for Georgia, Kakabadze, had such a good game, looked so calm in defence and got forward quickly in support of the counter attacks too.

Had a look where he's playing, plays for Cracovia, which I thought was the fake country Tom Hanks comes from in The Terminal, but it actually a bottom half team in Poland, who get similar crowds to us.

Marking Pedro Neto, who's being linked with a £60m move to Arsenal or Liverpool.

International tournaments can be such a  great leveller!
    He was excellent. They had a few players on show last night that might have played themselves into a decent transfer after it's finished. Him being one.

Obviously not to us of course, our days of shopping in the aftermath of a tournament are but a dim distant memory.

*sobs quietly*