Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

edited October 2022 in General Charlton
Charlton returned to the Valley, for a run of fixtures, under pressure, with no wins in the last eight. Garner kept the same team and starting formation (4-4-2) from the weekend fixture. Exeter arrived at the Valley off the back of a surprise win and good performance, adding to the pressure on Garner to manufacture a performance and a much needed three points.

Charlton started very well, at a higher tempo than of recent. On 19 minutes the pressure paid off, when Miles Leaburn managed to force a shot past the Exeter keeper. Not long after, a Fraser cross was deflected in off an Exeter defender under pressure from Stockley to give Charlton a two-goal cushion. 

For the next twenty minutes, Exeter grew into the game and began a period of domination to almost match our own. They got one back off something of a wonder-strike that gave Wollacott little chance. Charlton legs looked tired and halftime came at just the right moment.

The second half started a little like the first. Charlton found their second breath and looked to push on. An injury to Leaburn saw him replaced by Albie Morgan and tired legs saw Sessegnon go off for Sean Clare. The shift in personnel paid off. Then Chuks Aneke made his season debut. A shot on goal from George Dobson was deflected into Chuk’s path and he slotted home a scuffed shot through the keeper’s legs off the post on possibly his second touch. Then Jack Payne came on and had his turn. In extra time he lept like a wee salmon to head home over his defender at the far post!

Just what we all needed.

A penalty gave Exeter a late bit of consolation. 

Charlton 4 Exeter 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Very good win and great to see us get 3 points.

Back in touching distance of top 6 so we can really capitalise on this with a couple of wins and get right up there.
  • Options
    we'd have drawn that if it wasn't for Chucks. We HAVE to find a way to keep him fit it's probably the difference between lower mid table and play-offs with the current playing staff
  • Options
    siblers said:
    CHARLTON ATHLETIC WIN A GAME OF LEAGUE FOOTBALL
    I am as shocked as you are 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FT stats

Possession 49-51
    Pass Accuracy% 78-78

Shots 15-12
    On Target 6-4
    Inside Penalty Area 9-4
    xG 1.25-1.10

Fouls 8-9
    Corners 4-6
  • Options
    If we keep drawing every game and beating the Devon teams we’ll be alright. Crazy how bad we suddenly looked defensively when we changed from 4-4-2 and I was convinced we were going to end up at 2-2 which probably would have been fair enough.
  • Options
    You don’t win playing 442 these days. Yes right stick 433 up your arse.shame we chucked another season away trying to play it. 

Our formation was not a basic 4-4-2 though. Kirk played higher, JRS deeper. It was a sort of weird hybrid of the two. It worked. In the second half with the changes it was much more 4-3-3
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Good game for the neutral to watch, my boy Ali Maxwell in the pundits chair, Jay Stanstead getting a class consolation goal. Smallest man on the pitch getting a header 

Wonderful 

Exeter are still a side I greatly admire but are perfect for us to play against, I was worried we would be outnumbered in midfield but thankfully Exeter were stretched with injuries and a tiny squad. 

A game we should have won and I'm glad we won a genuinely very entertaining game 
    Does he know you’re his father?
  • Options
    Also hope this can get the atmosphere’s on track. The last couple of games have been the worst atmospheres I’ve ever experienced at games anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FT stats

Possession 49-51
    Pass Accuracy% 78-78

Shots 15-12
    On Target 6-4
    Inside Penalty Area 9-4
    xG 1.25-1.10

Fouls 8-9
    Corners 4-6
    You forgot the important one

Points 3-0
  • Options
    You don’t win playing 442 these days. Yes right stick 433 up your arse.shame we chucked another season away trying to play it. 

I wonder whose idea that was ?? He knows fuck all about football or music. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:

Our formation was not a basic 4-4-2 though. Kirk played higher, JRS deeper. It was a sort of weird hybrid of the two. It worked. In the second half with the changes it was much more 4-3-3
    Yes , I think it suits what we have but it wasn't the 4-4-2 we played in the park and indeed was a bit between a 4-4-2 and a 4-3-3. Anyway, we needed that and hopefully we can keep Aneke fit as he scores goals at this level.
  • Options
    Maybe this is the kick start of our season? Let’s hope so. 🥸
  • Options
    I still think all our problems stem from the back. EOC isn't good enough and Innis has issues alongside him. Fraser had a good game and the full backs are making a big difference. JRS is a show pony and fits right in alongside donkey Stockley. Welcome back Chuks! Onwards to a big test next week...
  • Options
    Great result to wake up to finally, good to see Chuck is back 🎶 COYR !!!