Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Was impressed with Exeter who play a bit of Garnerball themselves. 

Like the combo of Egbo & JRS. Dobbi was excellent at protecting the back four. Leaburn is a baller. 

Am not as down in Kirk as many are. Made some poor decisions in the 2nd half, like expecting Stockley to have any pace, but he has the class for the quick pass that Leaburn has. I just don’t like we get him the ball where we should. Accusations of laziness also not merited. Was right to sub him though. 

Hope Miles is OK. We need him - and Chuks - as Stockley isn’t on the same wavelength as the rest of the team and isn’t even winning headers anymore.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Like the combo of Egbo & JRS. Dobbi was excellent at protecting the back four. Leaburn is a baller. 

Am not as down in Kirk as many are. Made some poor decisions in the 2nd half, like expecting Stockley to have any pace, but he has the class for the quick pass that Leaburn has. I just don’t like we get him the ball where we should. Accusations of laziness also not merited. Was right to sub him though. 

Hope Miles is OK. We need him - and Chuks - as Stockley isn’t on the same wavelength as the rest of the team and isn’t even winning headers anymore.
    I think if you watch a replay of the game you would be surprised at how many headers Stockley won.
  • Options
    great result however still 3 wins from 13 - need another big result against pompey on monday to steady the sinking ship and get fans back on side. 
  • Options
    Comments from the Exeter "Manager" if they've not already been posted.

Cant really argue with him either - Coming back from 2-0 down (both goals really did come from their mistakes, albeit the second involved good build up from us), is a tough ask

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/harsh-reality-of-league-one-football-exeter-interim-boss-reflects-on-4-2-loss-at-charlton-athletic/
  • Options
    Good & much needed win , just for confidence, so disappointing to see the small crowd at the valley but totally understand, hope people can force themselves to get there on Monday night in front of the cameras to support. 
    Onwards & upwards 🙏
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great result, but we still rode our luck at 2-1.

• Options
    Only things to add in addition to the comments:

- Ref awarded them a penalty for a challenge not a single one of their players called for. It was a billy beef challenge but common sense would have seen the referee wave no penalty and gone back to the previous incident, claiming the linesman saw it. 

- O'Connell should show more leadership than boot the ball into the stadium after the penalty. Shows how scared you are to see this game out now.

- Good ball from Dobson for Leaburn's goal. Well done from there Miles....the kind of goal Washington would score, coming from somebody with Stockley's frame. Impressive.

- Aneke. You can call that an assist (key contribution) and goal in his limited appearance. We could get more from Stockley now Aneke is back. But both need to remain fit and focused - as they also like a ruck and red card.
  • Options
    Exeter were good but I just think we were better. First half they had the ball without creating much then scored a great goal which gave them hope. Biggest issue for me is when we were going 2-0 up, we let them play there game and naturally they gained confidence and momentum. 

If they scored the one that hit bar, could have changed the dynamic of the game but overall we were very professional and would see the game out okay. 

Leaburn, Dobson and (personally) the CBs were good. Good to the subs make an impact aswell. 

This should be a platform to build on but we will wait and see.  
  • Options
    Having seen him play just the once, Egbo reminds me of Chris Powell to some extent, in his style, movement and technique.
    Agree Swords. He has that ability to suddenly swivel 90 degrees in possession and wrong-foot his man. Also has the pace to step on it. Crucially though, Egbo looks stronger up top and may prove harder to knock off the ball, not that Sir Chris was ever really bullied. Both have good awareness.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Exeter were miles better than us. Delighted to get the 3 points though 
    They really weren't. You don't lose 4-2 when you're miles better than your opponent. Those are 1-0 losses or 2-1.
    Black Sabbath.  Not a band name but we could have been 10-0 down at half time in that game.  Just saying.
    Two pivot points in that game.
    When  momentum was all Exeter from 1st half into 2nd they hit the underside of the bar. Stays 2-1
    Chuks Aneke scores from a deflected ball that rolls into his path , it goes in off the goalkeepers foot onto post and trickles in .3-1.
    Can't say we didn't have our luck last night, Exeter were good.
    However if you shoot you may score- we haven't been shooting (- because of the system we've been playing)
    Play to our strengths (squad strengths)
    Results should improve (baring injuries)
    Most of the season still to play for
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Exeter looked well drilled with players to suit their system (their RWB Caprice looks a very tidy footballer) but when they got to the final third they tried the same ball down the inside left and inside right channels over and over again which I thought we soon figured out. 

Their players suit their system better and they controlled most of the game, which you would expect when they have three in midfield to our two, but they didn't create the chances we did. 

Thought Kirk and Fraser had poor games. I'm a big Kirk fan but there is a real lack of effort on his recovery runs. As for Fraser, I thought he was a much more dominating, dictating presence than he has been this season. Egbo, Dobson and Sessegnon were very good.

Aneke highlights what the right type of striker could do in Garner's preferred 4-2-3-1. That touch on to CBT for our 4th was sublime. We looked a much more threatening and cohesive unit with him up top, linking and causing problems.

Hope we can shift Stockley in Jan and bring in two better-suited strikers with the money. (Doubt this will happen, though).

Minutes per goal:
    Aneke - 8
    Leaburn - 111
    Stockley - 529 
  • Options
    Biggest disappointment of the night was.how bad Caprice looked
    She obviously enjoyed Payne's goal.  When the smallest bloke on the pitch scores with a header, you know it's going to be your night.
    Height's great if you have to get up to a high ball but if you can reach it, getting there first is what counts!
  • Options
    A good open end-to-end game with six goals and us scoring four of them (well, three I guess because of the OG), what more could you want. I am not sure this is the turning point, but the win was hugely important and we played much better. Hopefully it will be a big confidence boost.

Playing 4-4-2 seems to help us create more chances, but leaves us open in midfield. Kirk and JRS offer very little defensively and this means lots of extra work for Dobson and Fraser. They seemed to cope okay yesterday, but I think it would help if one of the wide players was stronger defensively - perhaps DJ or Clare?

Hoping Leaburn's injury is nothing serious. He was excellent and the boy is becoming a man very quickly. Let's enjoy him while we can because I suspect he will be gone by the end of January. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

I think if you watch a replay of the game you would be surprised at how many headers Stockley won.
    Absolutely. The excellent Ali on Valley Pass has all the stats and said Stockley won 70% of all aerial duels, and then said that in L1 that is a very good figure to achieve. He also said Inniss and O'Connell were dominant in that department too.

The thing with Kirk is that he seems to have nothing in his locker to take a man on. That is pretty odd for an attacking wide player for whom we paid a tidy fee. Egbo seems more ready to take on his man than Kirk does. Maybe it's confidence. Did anybody see footage of him at Crewe where he had some more trickery we haven't seen yet?

Otherwise, well,  I needed that, we all needed that. Pompey will be a big ask though, especially if Miles is out. We should brace for that.

And finally my speciality grouse. In the first half there were two minutes of additional time. There were of course no subs, and I'm pretty sure no injury related stoppage.  Am I wrong? Miles was on the deck first half but got up and carried on. That should not therefore incur any extra time. Nothing happened asa result but Exeter were on top as we got to H-T. This is just so random, reeks of some kind of "personal interpretation" by somebody, and this whole thing can and needs to be automated, ASAP, and in a transparent way.
  • Options
    A much needed confidence boosting win and having the ‘we haven’t won in x games’ monkey off our back is going to give everybody a lift. We need to maintain our bogey team status for Pompey, come Monday. Then things would be really looking up… 

Thought Dobbo was MOTM by a stretch last night rather than Egbo (who also had a good game).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having seen him play just the once, Egbo reminds me of Chris Powell to some extent, in his style, movement and technique.
    That's exactly what I thought last night, even his running style is similar. Thought he was excellent as were Dobson, Fraser and Leaburn. Also a great cameo from CBT shows what he can do.
  • Options
    that all out 442 is better but still quite loose, with these full backs and non-tackling back wingers,  I wonder if the Curbs approach a la Graeme Stuart would help, perhaps Payne or another there instead of Kirk.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Two things from reading this. "That one goes in we lose", maybe, but over the past couple of years the boot has been on the other foot often enough and apparently "we are simply not good enough".

Stonewall pen, I called it as soon as it happened.

Absolutely a penalty, just a shame the ref didn't blow when the assistant ref flagged for the first foul.
    There was definitely a foul outside the box, but I thought it was a perfectly good shoulder charge.
    I don't know the rules, or more imp. is interpretation. must be some refs on this site.
    Football is a contact sport. You are allowed to out muscle your opponents.
    To me that was a fair challenge side by side- but Aneke is a bigger unit than  the Exe player.  so  he is flattened.
    No pen.
  • Options
    The penalty; question I'd have for the ref would be, if say, Jack Payne had made exactly the same challenge, would he have given it?

But all that said, I thought he was pretty decent overall. Especially wanted to play advantage and did that well. He signalled advantage when the lino flagged before the penalty, and was absolutely within his remit to do so. And kept his cards in his pocket until quite late in the game. Contributed to making the game a good one for the neutral to watch.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Two things from reading this. "That one goes in we lose", maybe, but over the past couple of years the boot has been on the other foot often enough and apparently "we are simply not good enough".

Stonewall pen, I called it as soon as it happened.

Absolutely a penalty, just a shame the ref didn't blow when the assistant ref flagged for the first foul.
    There was definitely a foul outside the box, but I thought it was a perfectly good shoulder charge.
    I don't know the rules, or more imp. is interpretation. must be some refs on this site.
    Football is a contact sport. You are allowed to out muscle your opponents.
    To me that was a fair challenge side by side- but Aneke is a bigger unit than  the Exe player.  so  he is flattened.
    No pen.
    I agree. I didnt think it was a penalty at all. I wasnt even slightly worried that a penalty would be awarded when he made the challenge. 

I don't understand what Aneke is supposed to do, is he not allowed to be as strong as he is?  Should he only ever use 50% of his strength in case he knocks someone over?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

People don’t see the unselfish work Kirk
    done last night .. done a lot of covering and defensive work because Exeter pushed two men up on both flanks to stop Kirk and Raki 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Exeter were miles better than us. Delighted to get the 3 points though 
    We were the team in RED!
    I'm starting to think that people might not agree with me....  :D
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

People don’t see the unselfish work Kirk
    done last night .. done a lot of covering and defensive work because Exeter pushed two men up on both flanks to stop Kirk and Raki 
    I'll usually defend Kirk but that 2nd half performance was shocking
  • Options
    If that pen hadn't been given at the other end, I would have been very miffed.