Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Biggest disappointment of the night was.how bad Caprice looked
    She obviously enjoyed Payne's goal.  When the smallest bloke on the pitch scores with a header, you know it's going to be your night.
  • Options
    Didn’t plan on watching but ended up being awake around 1.45am for kick off so ended up tuning in. Enjoyed the first half, thought we played well and it was an entertaining game. Fell asleep during the second half and was shocked to see we’d seen it out. I’m too used to waking up to disappointment! 

Needed that win, I know it shouldn’t but crap Charlton results really fuck up my week. 

Get in there, come on you reds! 
  • Options
    Anyone else notice how Chuks' number got 6 inches longer every time the centre half stood next to him for a free kick?
    But of course there was no shirt pulling going on.
  • Options
    Chuks’ scoring turned relief into celebration and Payne scoring turned that into a swagger. That was for all the faithful. You just never know what you’re going to get
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Such a relief to get three points at last!
    Egbo and Sessegnon are class, Dobson was back to his best and Aneke showed us what we’ve been missing. He’s so much better than Stockley it’s ridiculous. 
    One nice little cameo was Inniss giving Dobbo a little pat to say thanks for getting him out of the mire after he lost the ball trying to bring it out of defence. He chased back but his sliding block failed, only for Dobson’s follow up sliding block to do its job. Exeter could well have scored without it.
    I knew we’d win tonight because I brought a mate who’s been to about six games now and we’ve won all of them. He thought JRS was very classy, and enjoyed Dobbo’s tackling. 
    Although JRS had some criticism on here tonight, I’m not sure it’s really justified. He didn’t give the ball away, and occupied two defenders all evening. I just wish when he floats in from the left that he could curl a shot in to the far post area, à la Saka.
    Exeter are a decent side, so it was a good test for us on the back of some below average performances. There are certainly signs of improvement, with the back four looking settled, and the midfield of JRS Dobbo Fraser and Kirk beginning to mesh a bit better. 
    But the big excitement for me was Aneke showing he is still a real threat. A big bonus was the return of the CBT who can beat a man and cross the ball. That was a real peach that landed right on the little fella’s bonce.
    Although it was a small crowd, I thought the covered end choir did a good job tonight. 

Great view of the Valley by the way JS, Yep that cross from CBT and header from JP almost defied belief, I didn’t know he had that in his locker, still trying to work out how Miles got the ball in the back of the net, need to see it back, was the Exeter shot that hit the bar over the line? Good job we haven’t got VAR!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the brief snippets I saw it did look as if we are now hitting two big targets up front and then getting second balls and pushing forward from there - this is how most teams play in League One.

I am not averse to "Garnerball" but you need to be able to be more direct ESPECIALLY at home where teams will sit deep, you can then mix that up with more possession based play once the game has slowed down a bit.

If you ONLY have possession based football then you are very predictable indeed and are going find it hard to score because defences can channel you into benign areas.
    Maybe it’s just me, but firstly where as lots of teams may play with ‘2 strikers’, most teams are not pinging in constant long balls into them. Just like Exeter did tonight, most teams look to move the ball quickly and directly through the thirds - usually using their wing backs to create overloads and space.

Secondly I think ‘Garner ball’ is a bit of a fallacy. I agree that we might keep a lot of possession at the back from time to time as we look to find space, but we also play long quiet frequently as well.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Egbo and Sessegnon are class, Dobson was back to his best and Aneke showed us what we’ve been missing. He’s so much better than Stockley it’s ridiculous. 
    One nice little cameo was Inniss giving Dobbo a little pat to say thanks for getting him out of the mire after he lost the ball trying to bring it out of defence. He chased back but his sliding block failed, only for Dobson’s follow up sliding block to do its job. Exeter could well have scored without it.
    I knew we’d win tonight because I brought a mate who’s been to about six games now and we’ve won all of them. He thought JRS was very classy, and enjoyed Dobbo’s tackling. 
    Although JRS had some criticism on here tonight, I’m not sure it’s really justified. He didn’t give the ball away, and occupied two defenders all evening. I just wish when he floats in from the left that he could curl a shot in to the far post area, à la Saka.
    Exeter are a decent side, so it was a good test for us on the back of some below average performances. There are certainly signs of improvement, with the back four looking settled, and the midfield of JRS Dobbo Fraser and Kirk beginning to mesh a bit better. 
    But the big excitement for me was Aneke showing he is still a real threat. A big bonus was the return of the CBT who can beat a man and cross the ball. That was a real peach that landed right on the little fella’s bonce.
    Although it was a small crowd, I thought the covered end choir did a good job tonight. 

Great view of the Valley by the way JS, Yep that cross from CBT and header from JP almost defied belief, I didn’t know he had that in his locker, still trying to work out how Miles got the ball in the back of the net, need to see it back, was the Exeter shot that hit the bar over the line? Good job we haven’t got VAR!
    No it wasn't over the line.
  • Options
    The hybrid 433 worked much better🤪
    id like to see Kirk and jez swap side during the match so they can go outside the fullbacks and cross with there stronger foot. Think the left side will be better when ses is 100%. Egbo  and jez combined brilliantly to over load out wide on the right. Fraser impressed me defensively couple of times he went to ground which you can’t do in a midfield 2.but work rate with Dobson was fantastic. 

• Options
    Two things from reading this. "That one goes in we lose", maybe, but over the past couple of years the boot has been on the other foot often enough and apparently "we are simply not good enough".

Stonewall pen, I called it as soon as it happened.

• Options
    Glad I decided five minutes in to buy the stream. A win is a win however much we rode our luck and a little of the depression that was becoming terminal has lifted. Awful to see the Valley so empty. My first proper look at this squad for a while and, by and large, I didn’t discover anything I didn’t already know.  With the caveat that watching on tv never gives the full picture, I saw nothing. to change my opinions on Kirk and Stockley (duds), Dobbo (mustard at this level) and Leaburn Jr (gonna be good). I was very pleasantly surprised by both fullbacks, especially Nelson but not so by the centre backs, both of whom looked to me like accidents waiting to happen. My jury remains out on Fraser (who I suspect looked better at the game than on the telly as he probably does a lot of work that you don’t see unless you’re there) and the keeper who is an upgrade on MacG but still doesn’t totally convince. Disappointing night for Rayksaki in terms of end product. All of the subs bar Albie added something.  Clare is never in a million years a left back but we look better when he’s on the pitch.  
     We badly needed that for all sorts of reasons. If the shot that hit the bar had gone in we could have folded and better teams than Exeter will turn us over. But we needed a lift and hopefully a bit of momentum will ensure that the feared relegation battle fades away. There are clearly four worse teams than us in the league. A controversial point - I’m beginning to tire of dear old Curbs’s rather lazy analysis. Young Maxwell was a breath of fresh air in comparison.  And Alan, practise it mate, it’s “Blackett-TAYLOR”!!!!  And dear old Brownie on the co-commentary. He talks an awful lot of sense but by Jimminy he talks an awful lot!!!   All in all though, a better evening than I expected. We are still deep in the merde but a welcome relief for a day. 
  • Options
    Not perfect but more than a glimmer of hope.

The beginning of the beginning of open-heart surgery.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two things from reading this. "That one goes in we lose", maybe, but over the past couple of years the boot has been on the other foot often enough and apparently "we are simply not good enough".

Stonewall pen, I called it as soon as it happened.

Absolutely a penalty, just a shame the ref didn't blow when the assistant ref flagged for the first foul.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Good game, very even as the match stats show. Exeter played quite open and with us needing that win and having a point to prove really helped us get the win,  we were good and made it count. But saying that, that game could have easily gone the other way on another day.

Quite like the way Exeter go about their football, I like a passing game but the ponderous short probing passes requires some real technical quality (that we don't have) with Stockley and Leaburn, that direct quicker back to front would suit us much better, which TBF, I'd say we played a fair amount of last night.

Chuck's goal will hopefully give everyone a boost regardless hoe massively jammy it was.

Best performance in a while, not perfect but we got a much needed win and bagged some goals. Wont get carried away and start talking of top 6 and investment in Jan as, quite frankly, we've been here before with the Plymouth result.

Happy days.

• Options
    Dobson was absolutely outstanding. Leaburn was fantastic too. Nobody else stood out but a lot of solid performances. 4-1 would have been very flattering but how nice was it to bring Chuks on again. 
    What stands out for me is the lad is not afraid to play a bad ball and is always trying to develop things quickly, apart from his defensive qualities of which he has many. Yes, sometimes he will lose the ball but it is better than the safe ball cowards of which we have a few. Hopefully with confidence they can follow his example.
  • Options
    Good to see the win.  Still need to work on the performances, specially defending too narrow at times and allowing crosses to come in  but that did imrpve later in the game.

Stand out moment:  Not having my eardrums burst by that bloody song at FT
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    JamesSeed said:

From my position (see photo) it clearly didn’t cross the line 😉. 
    Was moaning to my mate about the low attendance (I’m a 1. with quite a bit of 2. and yes, a dash of 5:
     https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4801667#Comment_4801667) but looked down and was quite surprised to see how full the lower Covered End was. That’s why I took the photo. 
    So fewer prawn sandwich types, but core support held up well? Actually, it was a bit sparse in the upper though. I’d say 6,500 in total actually there? There should be a decent crowd for Portsmouth after last night though. 
  • Options
    Exeter were miles better than us. Delighted to get the 3 points though 
    The stats don’t back up your claim -

Exeter are a decent team but we were better.