Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Enjoyable game. Tonight we were fortunate because three of our goals were deflected. So often we are unlucky when a good shot or header gets blocked. Plus their full back nearly broke our crossbar with his thunderbolt. But it was a very spirited performance, with lots of determination. We seemed to lose our shape somewhat after they scored their first goal. Could do with Tut-Tut explaining why we struggled for a while. 
  • Options
    Pleased we won, rode our luck at times, actually got a bit of luck at times too, ie Stockleys header wasn't even on target and maybe an Inniss handball first half. If the one that hit the bar went in at 2-1 I think we'd have lost that. But it didn't. Think the final score flattered us a bit but the win was deserved in the end. With the players we have 4-4-2 suits us best but again our squad depth could haunt us if Leaburn is out for a few weeks as Chuks can't start games meaning we'd have to drop 4-4-2. Egbo and Dobson stand outs for me, Leaburn did well. Centre backs don't fill me with much confidence, another area where we are short of bodies. Overall a welcome three points but much tougher tests to come this month. Let's see where we are come end of October. 
  • Options
    Pleased for the loyal Addicks who turned up. They deserved that - well done 
    Thanks much appreciated. 
  • Options
    Nice one, a huge relief. We remain a massive nine points behind target.
  • Options
    PWR as getting our glad rags on since the final whistle & off to Los Cristianos for a spot of clubbing to celebrate tonight's victory. 

What a great performance tonight & well done to those in attendance to witness it.

Both in spite of  Thomas Sandgaard's best efforts...

Well done, Ben & the lads ! 

We're ready for you Pompey.
  • Options
    FT stats

Possession 49-51
    Pass Accuracy% 78-78

Shots 15-12
    On Target 6-4
    Inside Penalty Area 9-4
    xG 1.25-1.10

Fouls 8-9
    Corners 4-6
    Least possession all season?
    Must have been close if not.
    Please now stop all the tippy tappy boring slowball and carry on like we did tonight.
    Stop trying to be Man C, we're not good enough.
    Let's be Charlton. 
  • Options
    Solid win. Egbo and Sess looked very good. I also thought Clare looked a class act. Great to see Chucks. Let’s hope he stays fit and Leaburn isn’t crocked. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Garner: "it's not a penalty and it affects our goal difference - I think the lino got a bit bored and wanted some fun at the end of the game"
    The linesman flagged for a foul by Aneke on the touchline for pulling the player back but the Ref ignored him and allowed play to carry on. As soon as Aneke made contact again, that player was always going to go down and the Ref probably wasn't looking for too much of an excuse not to give the penalty given the initial foul. 

I'm really not sure that is really going to make the difference between success and failure to our season though. There will be a lot more defining goals that will have cost us points over the course of the season.
  • Options
    Entertaining match, honestly thought we were better team. For once we had a little luck go our way, hope Leaburn is ok thought he was excellent tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Can I post this now, forgot when he scored!

No
  • Options
    We have scored 17 goals in 13 games.

Nine of those goals - nearly 53% - came in just two games - so we have scored over half of our goals in just 15% of games.

Never seen anything like that in an all my years following the club.
    🤯
  • Options
    FT stats

Possession 49-51
    Pass Accuracy% 78-78

Shots 15-12
    On Target 6-4
    Inside Penalty Area 9-4
    xG 1.25-1.10

Fouls 8-9
    Corners 4-6
    Least possession all season?
    Must have been close if not.
    Please now stop all the tippy tappy boring slowball and carry on like we did tonight.
    Stop trying to be Man C, we're not good enough.
    Let's be Charlton. 
    Tonight was the fourth fewest passes (394) we've made in a match this season.

352 vs Accrington
    319 vs Derby
    367 vs Bolton
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Boy did we need those 3 points, No Kenny required, spotted in the stands, need to follow this up with a win v Pompey.

Edit, just realised the Cowleys are running the roost at Pompey!!!
  • Options
    So good to see our subs turning the game in our favour for a change, in most previous games our substitutions have benefited the opposition. Great result tonight, much needed and well pleased to see chuks back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boy did we need those 3 points, No Kenny required, spotted in the stands, need to follow this up with a win v Pompey.

Edit, just realised the Cowleys are running the roost at Pompey!!!
    Ah, that word "roost" reminds me...

BG says Chooks when speaking of our super sub. 

Guess that makes sense with Egbo in the same team.
  • Options
    Dobson was absolutely outstanding. Leaburn was fantastic too. Nobody else stood out but a lot of solid performances. 4-1 would have been very flattering but how nice was it to bring Chuks on again. 
    Egbo stood out.
    Don’t agree actually. Overall decent enough but got into some decent positions and his final ball was atrocious . Second half he stayed further hack and I thought he defended very well. 
  • Options
    A great psychological boost - for the players too.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:
    I still think all our problems stem from the back. EOC isn't good enough and Innis has issues alongside him. Fraser had a good game and the full backs are making a big difference. JRS is a show pony and fits right in alongside donkey Stockley. Welcome back Chuks! Onwards to a big test next week...
    Our centre-backs were excellent? 
    they weren't tbf
    I defy you to remotely justify giving our CB's 4 and 4.5 in Player Marks (while Kirk got 5.5). Remotely. 

That's what the comments I put next to the numbers were for👍