Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Reading Player Marks I'm struck once again, as usual, by how Charlton fans simply hate centre-backs and love to blame them for anything 
    Whereas real heads (me) recognise Inniss and EOC as our best CB pairing in absolutely ages. If Inniss had a non-broken body and EOC had pace, neither would be in League One 
    Very modest of you. 

If O'Connell had pace he'd be a better player, sure. But he doesn't. If Stockley had pace he'd probably be good enough. If Maguire had pace he'd walk in the Man Utd side. But he doesn't. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Reading Player Marks I'm struck once again, as usual, by how Charlton fans simply hate centre-backs and love to blame them for anything 
    Whereas real heads (me) recognise Inniss and EOC as our best CB pairing in absolutely ages. If Inniss had a non-broken body and EOC had pace, neither would be in League One 
    Very modest of you. 

If O'Connell had pace he'd be a better player, sure. But he doesn't. If Stockley had pace he'd probably be good enough. If Maguire had pace he'd walk in the Man Utd side. But he doesn't. 
    Inniss simply watched a long throw go over his head and into the 6 yard box yesterday, but it's the injuries that hold him back.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Very modest of you. 

Inniss simply watched a long throw go over his head and into the 6 yard box yesterday, but it's the injuries that hold him back.
    Presumably someone else cleared it. Did you see how many aerial clearances Inniss made? He was absolutely dominant 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Aneke highlights what the right type of striker could do in Garner's preferred 4-2-3-1. That touch on to CBT for our 4th was sublime. We looked a much more threatening and cohesive unit with him up top, linking and causing problems.

Hope we can shift Stockley in Jan and bring in two better-suited strikers with the money. (Doubt this will happen, though).

Minutes per goal:
    Aneke - 8
    Leaburn - 111
    Stockley - 529 
    Wow, I missed that flick on by Aneke to CBT for our 4th.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Very modest of you. 

Yes I saw that. Both he and Stockley hesitated because each thought the other was going for it I think. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Did you see that moment in the second half when Inniss new he has committed a foul and then just stood there waiting for the ref to blow up. oh! and their play got into the box need I think Dobson to tackle him, or when Inniss gets the ball at his feet, he just hangs about with it not knowing what to do other than put in an under hit so called pass. He is a league one player at best.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Did you see that moment in the second half when Inniss new he has committed a foul and then just stood there waiting for the ref to blow up. oh! and their play got into the box need I think Dobson to tackle him, or when Inniss gets the ball at his feet, he just hangs about with it not knowing what to do other than put in an under hit so called pass. He is a league one player at best.
    He was passing to teammates though. He quite often found Leaburn or JRS with forward passes too. The slander is ridiculous 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The impressive stat is Chuks Aneke scores a goal every 90 Minutes in League 1 for Cafc over his two spells at Cafc.
    The Least impressive stat is the time he has been unavailable since coming back from Birmingham. 

I said Aneke and CBT were X factor players but others said they are Y factor players.

"Y did we sign Aneke back" and Y did we sign a player that Tranmere didn't want in CBT !

It appears they are probably better from the bench for fitness and impact reasons against tiring defenders.

I agree with Ben Garner, that we are about 6 points shy because of the injuries to Aneke.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Has anyone mentioned Stockley receiving the ball near the edge of the six yard box with a clear goalscoring opportunity on his left foot and opting to... Pass?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Has anyone mentioned Stockley receiving the ball near the edge of the six yard box with a clear goalscoring opportunity on his left foot and opting to... Pass?
    Think that’s slightly harsh, it was quite wide too. He should have drilled it across rather than cutting it back but think clear goalscoring opportunity is a tad of an exaggeration, especially for a league 1 striker on his weaker foot 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Very modest of you. 

While I think @Leuth’s claim is a bit over the top ( we were saying the same about the Inniss-Famewo partnership this time two years ago, when we went six without conceding) his essential point is right IMO. You could add decision-making to the negatives, but that too is what you get in L1. There was some shocking Exeter defending but I only noticed because Brownie pointed it out- as a partisan fan I’m focused on our players. And like I said earlier the stats apparently showed the two of them were dominant in the air, as was Stockley.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Erling Haaland averages goal every 48 minutes this season. Chuks Aneke averages a goal every 16 minutes. 
    Just saying. 
    If Haaland has a €200m release clause, Chuks should have one for at least €300m.
  • Options
    Was watching on the stream but I really liked the look of Exeter in the first half, very quick on the ball and not afraid to get forward and attack away from home, on paper we should finish above them but they look like they have some good players, hopefully that win will give us confidence that we can get something against Pompey and go on a run.

3 wins in 13 games and we’re still only 4 points off the playoffs although we have played more games than most teams, maybe our season isn’t completely finished after all, just need our players to keep on winning although much easier said than done.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Very modest of you. 

While I think @Leuth’s claim is a bit over the top ( we were saying the same about the Inniss-Famewo partnership this time two years ago, when we went six without conceding) his essential point is right IMO. You could add decision-making to the negatives, but that too is what you get in L1. There was some shocking Exeter defending but I only noticed because Brownie pointed it out- as a partisan fan I’m focused on our players. And like I said earlier the stats apparently showed the two of them were dominant in the air, as was Stockley.
    I don't agree with the comparison. Inniss and Famewo formed a very good partnership straight away and like you say, we went 6 without conceding. O'Connell has had some real shaky moments this season. His pace is an issue but even if he wasn't as slow I don't think he'd be Championship quality, maybe just top end League 1. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    mendonca said:
    Kirk just wants to do a few nice things and leave the rest to the others. We've all known and played with similar players, am sure. You can just about get away with it when at your boyhood/local club. 
    I thought he chased around reasonably well yesterday, and seemed to be making an effort to get back and defend. But he clearly doesn’t know how to tackle. 
    I can't recall many/any light weight wingers that are good at tackling.
    They are light weight wingers because they can't tackle.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    EOC has something Famewo will never have: the ability to have the ball leave his foot and arrive at the foot of a teammate with some degree of reliability 
    Agreed, and of course someone like EOC was a crucial signing for Garners style. But being able to pass doesn’t make a CB a top defender 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    EOC has something Famewo will never have: the ability to have the ball leave his foot and arrive at the foot of a teammate with some degree of reliability 
    Agreed, and of course someone like EOC was a crucial signing for Garners style. But being able to pass doesn’t make a CB a top defender 
    Well of course not, otherwise you'd just put a midfielder there. EOC aerially dominant and good on the ball, maybe lacks a bit of pace. Doesn't mind a wander forwards. Reminds me of someone. A slight return. A whiff of what has been 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I wish Stockley would attempt to turn/swivel and shoot at goal, instead of always passing for someone else to shoot. (Mind you I thought it was his best game of the season last night).
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    Think that’s slightly harsh, it was quite wide too. He should have drilled it across rather than cutting it back but think clear goalscoring opportunity is a tad of an exaggeration, especially for a league 1 striker on his weaker foot 
    He's supposed to be a good League One striker. But I think most strikers in this league will be able to take a shot on their weaker foot from 6-8 yards out.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Very modest of you. 

Presumably someone else cleared it. Did you see how many aerial clearances Inniss made? He was absolutely dominant 
    No it dropped into a dangerous position with no one near it, and it was definitely his ball. I'm not saying he didn't have a good game, but I don't agree that he's playing below his level. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    He's supposed to be a good League One striker. But I think most strikers in this league will be able to take a shot on their weaker foot from 6-8 yards out.
    Not sure it's a case that he can't take a shot on his weaker foot, just that he didn't. It was simply poor decision making and probably down to a lack of confidence at the moment. 
  • Options
    Something that was pleasing last night that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the number of throw-ins we won from 50/50 balls. It ain't necessarily pretty and it doesn't always lead to an attack, let alone a goal, but it's things like that that can help change the momentum in a game.
  • Options
    Anyone know John Randall in the East Stand (Alan Curbishley)? He dropped his Freedom Pass at the turnstiles and the CAFC stewards thought I dropped it. Ask at reception I guess.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    RedChaser said:
    Was that you @TEL in Covered End near the front of A/B block with the Charlton/Aussie St George’s cross flag?
    Yes mate 
    I thought it was you too ! 

Good to see you at a game.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I think as the season goes on, the best we can hope for him is to be a handful to mark.  He laid off a couple of balls last night, but I think he’s been massively exposed this season.  We’re going a bit more direct now, which should suit him, but he’s all arms and legs.  I think Leaburn is really showing him up.  If Aneke was fit to start I would say go with him and Leaburn