Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Which foot is CBT's dominant? I'm honestly unsure
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    Which foot is CBT's dominant? I'm honestly unsure
    I’d say it was his right foot which is the one he seems to favour to get a shot off as you would expect from an inverted winger which SCP used to bang on about IIRC (take note Golfie, you don’t have to be left footed to be a left winger these days if that’s not what the coach wants 😉).

Mind you pro footballers should be at least half decent with their wrong foot. The advantage CBT has over Kirk however is his pace to take on a defender to give him a bit more time to cross with his left foot.
  • Options
    Yeah i dont rate Kirk at all. His main attribute is meant to be his ability on the ball in terms of creativity, control and passing yet he doesn't seem to ever want the fucking thing.
    You must be watching a different player to me then. Kirk is always overlapping with our full back & had got quite a few assists this season. His main problem (like most wide players thesedays) is that he plays on his "wrong" foot and si has to stop, cut back inside, before delivering a cross. Curbs made the point after the game that CBT (or just CB to Curbs) did both & he set up 2 goals. For Aneke's he cut inside & laid the ball off but for Payne's he took his man on & crossed with his left. But then JRS is just as one footed. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Kirk and JRS swapped to play on their stronger foots even if it was for 30 mins or so , just to see how it would work. 
  • Options
    Yeah i dont rate Kirk at all. His main attribute is meant to be his ability on the ball in terms of creativity, control and passing yet he doesn't seem to ever want the fucking thing.
    You must be watching a different player to me then. Kirk is always overlapping with our full back & had got quite a few assists this season. His main problem (like most wide players thesedays) is that he plays on his "wrong" foot and si has to stop, cut back inside, before delivering a cross. Curbs made the point after the game that CBT (or just CB to Curbs) did both & he set up 2 goals. For Aneke's he cut inside & laid the ball off but for Payne's he took his man on & crossed with his left. But then JRS is just as one footed. 
    JRS does go inside and outside though, even though he only uses his left foot he still goes round the outside of his full back quite often. Kirk actually has a left foot, but seems scared to go on the outside and use it. I think he’s still lacking a bit of confidence so goes inside and plays it safe too often 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    There was one attack second half we had where we poured forwards, here we go, ball out left to...Clare. It was like Kirk didn't exist - he'd wandered inside at half the speed of everyone else. He hides. He doesn't affect play, he merely gets on the end of things if the ball comes his way
    Exactly this. I turned to my mate and said look at Kirk, he's hiding. Bit of an enigma really. Has the quality, seems a popular lad and celebrates wildly when we score. Sadly not a team player. He will end his career and during the following years will regret that he didn't have the application and heart to fulfil his talent. I hate players like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    It isn't just Kirk, it is a few players, always looking for the simple ball and not looking for the opportunity. Fortunately, Fraser and Dobson are not those players. But we still have a few and yes, it is probably related to confidence or a lack of it.

Kirk has his qualities and it would be wrong to write him off but on Tuesday it was noticeable when he went off how we started taking the right back on and he was found wanting. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Great result. I fucking love Chuks if only he wasn't made of glass.

I wish people wouldn't say garnerball he plays no different football to most up and coming young managers and it sounds pathetic/cringey as fuck as well!
    'Made of glass' makes me cringe when describing somebody too! Said once, funny but seems glued to some people's vocab..... similar to Garnerball.
  • Options
    I’ve said it before, but Charlie Kirk is like a less good Darren Ambrose. Great once every 10 or 15 games, anonymous, or just plain bad, the rest of the time, allergic to defending and tackling, and no
    determination to take games by the scruff of the neck. Dobbo is doing more to affect our attacking play these days. 
    I agree to a point, I think he has very good awareness and a very good left foot. The reason he seems anonymous in some games is,  in the  most part,  that he doesn't have the speed to take the full back on so always seems to want to come away from the action to get his cross in. I think there is a player in there but it's down to him and the coaches to find a role within the side. For Garner it's a very good option to have two players who can play on that left side and are completely different in their approach to the game, CBT needs to add the sort of cross he put in on Tueday to his game and kirk needs have more movement in his game, not just hugging the touchline. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    It is also how the team plays and his role in that. It feels the squad has issues whatever formation we play and Garner's job is to fudge something together that works given the squad we have got. It is what should have happened from the moment he came in but he was employed to play a certain way. He just wasn't given the funding to make the change. I think as little as £500k could have made a massive difference to that.

People can fire at me that it isn't my money which is very true. But in my defence I was advocating continuous improvement from where we were last season rather than change our playing style. And my argument was that we could have more impact for less spend doing that.
  • Options
    having watched Leaburn's goal a lot on the game highlights replays, it is an early contender for goal of the season .. superb accuracy of Dobson's pass, instant control, clever switch inside and an early, accurate shot just inside the far post .. if Haaland or Kane had scored that. MOTD would still be creaming over it .. a real confidence booster for young Miles and also for George Dobson
    Apart from the criminal defending to leave him wide open and the keeper getting a massive hand on it, sure 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    having watched Leaburn's goal a lot on the game highlights replays, it is an early contender for goal of the season .. superb accuracy of Dobson's pass, instant control, clever switch inside and an early, accurate shot just inside the far post .. if Haaland or Kane had scored that. MOTD would still be creaming over it .. a real confidence booster for young Miles and also for George Dobson
    Apart from the criminal defending to leave him wide open and the keeper getting a massive hand on it, sure 
    You can't help yourself can you. 

You've got to be the most irritating poster in this site and then some. Sometimes it's better to just keep your hands in your pockets rather than the constant drivel you type. 
  • Options
    It's an excellent goal but quite rare that you ever see a deflected strike make it to a goal of the season reel. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Leuth said:

You've got to be the most irritating poster in this site and then some. Sometimes it's better to just keep your hands in your pockets rather than the constant drivel you type. 

I only see one person typing drivel here.
  • Options
    I've typed literal factual information to counter a truly wild goal of the season claim, what on earth is going on 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I mean it was a good goal! The ball was good, the way he cut inside was remarkably composed, and the finish was just about good enough 
  • Options
    I don't think "criminal defending" is a valid argument per se against a supposed GOTS contender.
    I also don't think the deflection was substantial enough to suggest it wouldn't have gone in anyway.
    That said, I think "GOTS contender" is probably over-egging it a bit (although we don't know what other contenders there will be).
    I think it was an excellent goal and that 90% of our other players would have fluffed the shot or panicked on receipt of the ball
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Leuth said:

Not sure Leuth is wrong on this one. It took a deflection and then the keeper got a hand to it too. I don't think it was a particularly good finish, keeper might have saved it had it not been for the nick off the defender. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have we just forgotten Sean Clare vs Plymouth already ffs, or Henry vs QPR
  • Options
    Sorry but if that's goal of the season then we are in for a worse season than I thought. Not even goal of the match (Payne's!) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think the clue was in the word "contender".
    We are going to need 6 to choose from at the end of the season anyway. Or is it more than that?
    Anyway, this isn't my argument so I'm shutting up now
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't think it was even the best goal of the night, preferred Payne's
    I mean, Stansfield, but yeah
  • Options
    Nice improvisation from Stansfield, completely out of nothing but i thought Jojo should have saved it
  • Options
    Sorry but if that's goal of the season then we are in for a worse season than I thought. Not even goal of the match (Payne's!) 

I think Stansfield's goal won that competition
  • Options
    Nice improvisation from Stansfield, completely out of nothing but i thought Jojo should have saved it
    Was a 'could have saved' more than 'should have saved' imo, would have been a blinder
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    The massive hand the keeper got on it just highlights the power of the shot! 👍
    Henry’s goal will take some beating for GoS. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I don't think it was even the best goal of the night, preferred Payne's
    I mean, Stansfield, but yeah
    In a discussion about a Charlton goal of the season contender, I was ignoring Stansfield's tbh