Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    Reckon a 1-0 farce to Qatar that sets the scene ofrnthe whole tournament. 

Having said that, I think we are rigging up the big screen in the meeting room for the game on Monday... Saves the office emptying to the pub
  • Options
    Doesn't feel like a World Cup starts today, it's weird.

I've suddenly remembered I normally get a wallchart to complete with my daughter and we've not got one yet, normally I'm about 3 weeks ahead in getting it.

Suppose it's the mid-season thing.
  • Options
    As bad as Qatar are, i can see them getting a narrow win tonight. Ecuador are pretty poor on their travels and only qualified because they play their home games at altitude. 18 of their 26 points came at home.
  • Options
    Benzema has now officially been ruled out of the tournament.

France now without him, Nkunku, Pogba, Kante, Fofana, Kimpembe and of course Varane isn't fully fit yet. i don't think there is a country who have been as affected by injuries as them. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

France now without him, Nkunku, Pogba, Kante, Fofana, Kimpembe and of course Varane isn't fully fit yet. i don't think there is a country who have been as affected by injuries as them. 

What a shame!
  • Options
    edited November 2022

The curse is real - Christ knows who'll score their goals now /s
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    As bad as Qatar are, i can see them getting a narrow win tonight. Ecuador are pretty poor on their travels and only qualified because they play their home games at altitude. 18 of their 26 points came at home.
    - Many teams have similar home v away records. Would you say that Argentina or Brazil will be poor because they won't have the same fervent support?
    - The modern professional footballer can adapt to the change in altitude. They are all mega-fit athletes.
    - Bolivia, Peru and Colombia all have stadia of higher altitude than Equador.
    - If a player is getting an advantage of higher lung capacity at a high altitude then won't he get the same benefit at low altitude?

Edit: and besides Qatar are not bad at all. They won The Asian Cup - the equivalent to The European Championships.
  • Options
    Just put mine up. Few quid here and there via Paddy for a bit of extra interest and now feel ready to go after it completely creeping up on me until this week. 
  • Options
    Please god let Ecuador win 5-0. If Qatar wins 1 match, no one on earth can say it’s not rigged 
  • Options
    Fair play BBC with the start of their coverage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the BBC studio still under construction?
  • Options
    Sarmiento on the bench for Ecuador today

Means nothing... If you dont start in the World Cup, you're available on the bench
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Yeah what is that tapping noise driving me mad 
  • Options
    The opening ceremony is excruciating 😖 
    Whats Morgan Freeman doing there ffs? 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Yeah what is that tapping noise driving me mad 
    Qatari knives being sharpened
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Fair play BBC with the start of their coverage.
    This discussion is them just justifying themselves actually being there. 

They could host the football from the UK. They have chosen not too. They are not truly concerned (enough) as individuals or as a collective. 

Of course everything they say is correct but it was wrongly awarded by FIFA. Nothing excuses that. A bigger statement would be not being there in person. 
  • Options
    Whatever. Plenty of people said they wouldn’t address it and they’ve just spent half an hour addressing it. I also don’t think as many people would notice whether they were physically ‘there’ or not as you think.
  • Options
    'No home team has never not won a group game'

Err, thanks Gary
  • Options
    Come on Ecuador
  • Options
    Jeremy speaks well... Wonder where he learnt such excellent English ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Whatever. Plenty of people said they wouldn’t address it and they’ve just spent half an hour addressing it. I also don’t think as many people would notice whether they were physically ‘there’ or not as you think.
    Can’t agree. The BBC have discussed the concerns on multiple programmes. 

Not noticing if they are there or not surely means it sound be more of a statement if they are not actually there. 

As individuals it’s a stronger statement not to travel but they want (and I quite get it) to be there and part of it as indeed would I should I have the choice. 

We are all hypocrites to some degree. 
  • Options
    I wonder if Charlton will be mentioned, when talking about Sarmiento 
  • Options
    I wonder if Charlton will be mentioned, when talking about Sarmiento 
    Naaa came through the Brighton and Benfica YTS dont ya know
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Well up for this now it's kicking off. A month of football come on!

And come on England! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿  (and Poland for me mum)
  • Options
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    ......Just doing what was asked before that starts anyone off
  • Options
    Qatar have a seriously boring national anthem 
  • Options
    Qatar have a seriously boring national anthem 
    Their fans look happy singing it at least  :#
  • Options
    Going 18 nil to Qatar, all home goals
  • Options
    Great job with the countdown lol!