Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    Every tournament there is always some sort of controversy with one of the teams that leads to a spectacular fallout.

The Dutch have been known to have their moments in years gone by.

Spain sacked their manager right on the eve of the last tournament.

My personal favourite is France 2010, when the entire team pretty much downed tools on the manager.

An early prediction for this tournament could be something involving Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal. I know he likes to make it all about him, but he’d have definitely crossed a line in a few players eyes leading up to this. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Every tournament there is always some sort of controversy with one of the teams that leads to a spectacular fallout.

My personal favourite is France 2010, when the entire team pretty much downed tools on the manager.

An early prediction for this tournament could be something involving Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal. I know he likes to make it all about him, but he’d have definitely crossed a line in a few players eyes leading up to this. 
    I think he could definitely hinder them at this tournament. They have some great attacking players in Joao Felix, Ramos, Andre Silva, Leoa, Fernandes and Bernardo Silva, but shoehorning Ronaldo in could effect them. On the flip side, playing with those players could bring out one last hurrah for him.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Portugal are too good & too talented at every position to let that derail them. As big of a name as Cristiano is.

I honestly have my eye on France. No Kante, no Pogba and dealing with the infamous winners curse.

If the tournament was played on paper, they should win their group and I’d be especially shocked if they struggled against Tunisia and Australia.

But I can absolutely see Denmark coming out on top in that group. 

France v Argentina would be a magic round of 16 match.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    shine166 said:
    What I love about a summer world cup is, well, it's in the summer.

Beer gardens, atmosphere, daylight in the evenings and outside screens. This will be freezing, wet, hard to see or get a seat in front of a screen and overall be a bit shite atmosphere wise. 

I understand the sentiment if you habitually watch matches in pubs, and I disagree with holding it in Qatar in general.

However I've got used to this idea of pausing the football season and holding the World Cup in winter. In summer I enjoy spending time gardening, going out, going on holiday, doing other daytime activities. In winter I'm happy to spend the time needed to watch the matches on the sofa. January would be perfect as I hate that lull after Christmas.

If it works out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's suggested again for 2026, especially considering the heat in summer in USA and Mexico.

Does no-one else feel like me, or at least understand the advantages? 
    Think Saudi Arabia are going for the 2030 WC, there's no way that could be held in the summer either. 

I guess the Qatar world Cup is a winter test for the future. 

If they do this again then it could at least be more organised. I don't agree with it though. A world Cup should always be prioritised for the summer!
    Great. If it goes to Oceania or South America then we can move it to January 🙂
  • Options
    Portugal are too good & too talented at every position to let that derail them. As big of a name as Cristiano is.

I honestly have my eye on France. No Kante, no Pogba and dealing with the infamous winners curse.

If the tournament was played on paper, they should win their group and I’d be especially shocked if they struggled against Tunisia and Australia.

But I can absolutely see Denmark coming out on top in that group. 

Let's hope history repeats itself because 
    France v Argentina was a magic round of 16 match at the last World Cup
    Modification from a non modifier.
    Would just like the reverse result.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I think he could definitely hinder them at this tournament. They have some great attacking players in Joao Felix, Ramos, Andre Silva, Leoa, Fernandes and Bernardo Silva, but shoehorning Ronaldo in could effect them. On the flip side, playing with those players could bring out one last hurrah for him.
    Would be hilarious if they dropped him.

"Quick, get me Piers Morgan's number...."
  • Options
    Sarmiento for Ecuador maybe?
    Yeah Sarmiento has been called up by Ecuador 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Tactical previews of the teams by group…

https://youtu.be/BWeKbE-mZpo
  • Options
    Seen a lot of teams playing friendlies today and yesterday. I'm glad England haven't done that, seems unnecessary and risky.
    Hopefully Iran is basically a warm up game anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Seen a lot of teams playing friendlies today and yesterday. I'm glad England haven't done that, seems unnecessary and risky.
    I dunno, i see there is a risk element but it would have been nice to have a friendly even if it was 30 minutes halves against someone similar to who we play. Feels odd not having one, but time will tell if we start well then its irrelevant. 

I would add more to adapt to the climate, also i've heard not alot of teams are going to be pressing so a slight change of game plan really for some teams. 
  • Options
    Germany squeezed a 1-0 win past Oman. Not sure if they would have got a great deal of benefit out of that. 
  • Options
    Idiot. Mexico will clearly finish above Poland.
  • Options
    With the size of the squad, England have no need for a warm up game IMO.
  • Options
    What a fool. 

Doesn’t he know it is the law that Mexico go out in the round of 16
  • Options
    100% we'd have played a friendly if our first game was later. But with the Premier league finishing on Sunday and our first game just 8 days later there's no real need for another game.

Portugal for example who played tonight, don't play their first game until next Thursday. They haven't even flown to Qatar yet.
  • Options
    Personally I’d feel happier if our team had played together more recently than September. And I know “it’s only Iran” etc but still.
  • Options
    I might get into it when it stars but I have to say this doesn’t feel like a proper World Cup to me. It may just be part and parcel off my growing dissolusionment (I think that’s a word!) with football. The politics of the whole thing clearly stink but there’s nothing I can do about that other than not watching on principle and cutting my nose of to spite my face in the process. So I’ll pick and choose my games and hopefully there will be a daily highlights show. But the days of climbing the walls in anticipation are long gone. The prospect of a whole month of the sanctimonious twins Matterface and Tyldesley, the ear piercing shrieking of Cowan and the lisping of  Thparkth, the bombastic Pearce and all their cronies is too much to bear. I’ll be watching with the sound off or the crowd noise option - oh wait, the crowds will be full of plastics!  Wonder what the Qatari equivalent of vuvuzela is?  All in all, it shouldn’t be now, it shouldn’t be there but it is so let’s roll with it and see what happens. 
  • Options
    100% we'd have played a friendly if our first game was later. But with the Premier league finishing on Sunday and our first game just 8 days later there's no real need for another game.

Portugal for example who played tonight, don't play their first game until next Thursday. They haven't even flown to Qatar yet.
    I think the last World Cup we played Costa Rica 11 days before our opening game. That was on 7th June, the prem finished on 13th May, so probably some game time required, match fitness etc. I think with the players being club match fit, it’s just a risk playing against sides that haven’t even qualified a week before your opener.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slight African bias here, me thinks... 
  • Options
    Brilliant - Love the new version, especially the little bits thrown in.

and to think, fans / players / managers all abroad are probably going batshit crazy with indignation at the thought of hearing the new version
  • Options
    Alcohol to be banned from stadiums at the World Cup
  • Options
    Oh well... Just another promise that Qatar haven't kept when they applied to be hosts of the World Cup - Doesnt really matter, given they've ignored the biggest one about it being a Summer competition.
  • Options
    Alcohol will not be sold at the World Cup's eight stadiums in Qatar after Fifa changed its policy two days before the start of the tournament.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631