Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    If Qatar wants something it buys it. Its national team has only four players of Qatari origin. It is worse than Ireland under Jackie Charlton! I hope they get stuffed in every game they play. 
    Really?
    Doesnt look that extreme it from their recent squad, which was picked as part of an October Training Camp ahead of the World Cup - From a squad of 30-players, ten weren't born in Qatar.

1 from each of Portugal | Algeria | Egypt | Ghana | France | Bahrain
    2 from each of Iraq and Sudan

None of those have played for their respective National Teams either, so imagine that whilst they've been born abroad, the majority probably have Qatari heritage.
  • Options
    Anyone moaning about the venue for this World Cup or protesting for boycotts should have done so when the World cup was awarded. Here's a reminder of what Lifers were saying back then:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/38176/fifas-message-to-the-world-today/p1
    So some people were against it then and some are against it now? 

Enjoyed 2018 and looking forward to this 

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'm looking forward to it purely because it's the world cup. I detest that it's been awarded to qatar as a result of massive bribery to corrupt fifa officials who should be beaten severely then jailed forever. I hope qatar's anthem is jeered at every playing, and they lose all their group games 8-0. i hope all qatari apologists such as Gary Neville and the weasel beckham are pilloried for lending their support to qatar. I resent it not being played in the summer, which is the best time of year to watch it as it can be done outdoors in pub gardens and doesn't screw up the domestic football season.
    That said, I'm not going to let fifa make me miss out on it entirely and will make the best of a bad job, watching from home and feeling morally compromised.

Nail on head for me, sums up my thoughts.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cant wait - I know scheduled to lose to France in quarters if we both top groups, does it get more palatable if we throw final game and finish second ?
    If the groups go as planned…

England win the group
    R16: Senegal ->
    QF: France ->
    SF: Germany / Belgium / Portugal ->
    F: Netherlands / Argentina / Spain / Brazil

England finish second in the group:
    R16: Netherlands ->
    QF: Argentina / Denmark ->
    SF: Brazil / Spain / Croatia ->
    F: France / Germany / Belgium / Portugal
    I know it’s interesting to do things like this, but it never ever works out as you imagine. At least one of those big nations won’t make it out of the group, just for starters.
    That’s why I said “if the groups go as planned” before laying out the paths.

We’re all aware it can, and likely will, work out differently.

Bottom line for me is that once reaching a quarter final, you should have only the top seeds left if they perform as expected. 

Whether we finish 1st or 2nd in our group, France are World champions and Argentina are Copa America champions.

Neither are easy. Or either of them could slip up. But you can’t plan for that.

Aim for the easiest R16 game possible and let the chaos unfold elsewhere. That means winning the group and probably playing Qatar/Ecuador/Senegal while avoiding the Netherlands.

After that point, anything can happen. France might suffer from the traditional holders curse or they might lose to Mexico in the R16. Argentina might bomb, or lose to Denmark in the knockouts. Trying to finish 2nd instead of just winning the group is silly.

• Options
    France are a basket case, just as likely to go crashing out early as they are to win it IMO.

As for us my expectations with are so low with Southgate in charge that if we get out the group stage then anything else is a bonus.

Despite all the justified noise around Qatar hosting I can't not look forward to a world cup, so I will no doubt enjoy it.
  • Options

Brazil’s World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Ederson, Weverton

Defenders: Danilo, Dani Alves, Alex Sandro, Alex Telles, T Silva, Marquinhos, Eder Militao, Bremer

Midfielders: Casemiro, Fabinho, Bruno Guimaraes, Fred, Paqueta, Everton Ribeiro

Forwards: Neymar, Vinicius Jr, Gabriel Jesus, Antony, Raphinha, Richarlison, Martinelli, Rodrygo, Pedro

• Options
    Ederson, Everton & Weverton! Like a Brazilian Ed, Edd n Eddy...
  • Options

Brazil’s World Cup squad

Defenders: Danilo, Dani Alves, Alex Sandro, Alex Telles, T Silva, Marquinhos, Eder Militao, Bremer

Forwards: Neymar, Vinicius Jr, Gabriel Jesus, Antony, Raphinha, Richarlison, Martinelli, Rodrygo, Pedro

Ridiculous squad on paper, but thankfully its not always played on paper and we've seen in the past teams like France when they had about 4 squads worth in every position it doesn't necessarily mean its formality. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Brazil’s World Cup squad

Maybe he performs well for the national team but i can't believe Brazil don't have a better option than Fred.

Full backs look a bit weak as well. Danilo, Sandro and Telles are not great and Dani Alves is nearly 40.

No country in the world has better attacking options though. They could play any 3 of 9 and still be strong. And they've left out Firmino and Gabriel Barbosa who has been brilliant for Flamengo in recent years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Australia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Costa_Rica
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Japan

Couple more squads have announced their final teams now

Australia's is a bit amusing given they've called up Jason Cummings (ex-Shrewsbury Striker) given he's played two games for Scotland in the past - They've also called up the highly rated youngster: Garang Kuol who has just been signed by Newcastle.
  • Options
    Rankings are generally a joke though. There's no way Iran are the 20th best nation in world football.

Pretty laughable that we're ranked 5th as well given the Nations league shambles.
  • Options
    Another player potentially out.

Sadio Mane has limped off in the first half tonight for Bayern with Senegal's first game just 13 days away.
  • Options
    Another player potentially out.

Sadio Mane has limped off in the first half tonight for Bayern with Senegal's first game just 13 days away.
    That could be big for England, what with the potential for us to face them in the RO16
  • Options
    I think the next two weekends will see a lot of precautionary subs
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Macronate said:

If all teams had qualified prior to the draw being made, Wales would've been in pot 3 rather than pot 4, making it impossible for them to have been drawn together with Iran.

I just redid the draw with new pots knowing that Wales, Australia and Costa Rica ended up winning their playoff matches with the balls being drawn in exactly the same order (because why not?) and these are the groups I ended up with:
    (pot 1 and pot 2 teams were completely unaffected by this change)

A: Qatar, Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador
    (no change)

B: England, USA, Wales, Cameroon
    (Iran moved to Group F)

C: Argentina, Mexico, Serbia, Saudi Arabia
    (Poland moved to Group H)

D : France, Denmark, Morocco, Canada
    (Australia moved to Group H, Tunisia moved to Group G)

E: Spain, Germany, South Korea, Ghana
    (Japan moved to Group G, Costa Rica moved to Group F)

F: Belgium, Croatia, Iran, Costa Rica
    (Morocco & Canada moved to Group D)

G: Brazil, Switzerland, Japan, Tunisia
    (Serbia moved to Group C, Cameroon moved to Group B )

H: Portugal, Uruguay, Poland, Australia
    (South Korea & Ghana moved to Group E)
  • Options
    Reece James is out of the World Cup 
  • Options
    I think its a fair call from Southgate. Risk waiting for him to get match fit just to feature later in the tournament. If we get that far, then i'd imagine the player playing that position will be undroppable anyway. Trippier, Trent, Walker, White...we will be fine there.
  • Options
    Most people in England seem to put club above country, as do the clubs themselves, so I am a bit more doubtful than you Gaz. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most people in England seem to put club above country, as do the clubs themselves, so I am a bit more doubtful than you Gaz. 
    It'll be the players call. 
  • Options
    L'Equipe reporting Mane is out now.
  • Options
    L'Equipe reporting Mane is out now.
    Massive blow for them if true. Could also in turn be beneficial for England if we were to face them in the second round. 
  • Options
    5 ex Charlton players in the Wales squad

Lockyer 
    Gunter
    Smith
    Williams
    Levitt
  • Options
    And people want to whine about Southgate’s decision making. 

Can’t tell me Chris Gunter is heading to this tournament based on performance. 
  • Options
    I'm in the squad!!! Seriously! And my mate Gunts...
    Rob's taken me to one side and whispered that he's mainly taking us both just so everyone can get properly upset if we beat England. 
    Apparently he hasn't decided which Matt Smith he's taking though, hedging his bets. 
  • Options
    Kane playing tonight. If he gets injured I’ll hunt that little Italian prick down myself.
  • Options

We should trounce them with that squad but you just know it isn't going to go that way