Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options

We should trounce them with that squad but you just know it isn't going to go that way
    Got battered by Ukraine but defended very well - So important that we dont concede first against them I feel, especially if we need a result. But could say the same about United States and Iran
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    And people want to whine about Southgate’s decision making. 

Can’t tell me Chris Gunter is heading to this tournament based on performance. 
    Cue Gunter curling one into the top corner of the net & it being the winner…😬
  • Options

We should trounce them with that squad but you just know it isn't going to go that way
    Got battered by Ukraine but defended very well - So important that we dont concede first against them I feel, especially if we need a result. But could say the same about United States and Iran
    I’ve a feeling Iran will be a tougher game than some realise. They’ve pulled off some decent results against strong sides and defend for their lives. They’ll be playing for the draw from the first minute. Won’t be pretty.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Kane playing tonight. If he gets injured I’ll hunt that little Italian prick down myself.
    Subbed him off after an hour and then said after the game that it was because he's really tired.

No shit, it's early November and you play him in every game. That was already his 23rd game of the season for Spurs/England.

Conte said Kane was "really, really tired", adding: "Yesterday we had a soft training session and at one point he stopped himself to recover energy."

So despite knowing the guy was knackered he decided to start him anyway. 

• Options
    Having just flown on Qatar via Doha I hope their World Cups are better than their airlines. 

Utter rubbish. 
  • Options
    I think the next two weekends will see a lot of precautionary subs
    Most people in England seem to put club above country, as do the clubs themselves, so I am a bit more doubtful than you Gaz. 
    It'll be the players call. 
    Sorry Gaz, I don't get this - Chris's post above about Kane would indicate otherwise too?

I just can't see the entire Man Utd defence holding their hands up on sixty minutes at Fulham on Sunday when it's nil-nil and saying "That's it, we're off to Qatar" and the manager saying "Cheers lads, off you go".  
  • Options
    Most people in England seem to put club above country, as do the clubs themselves, so I am a bit more doubtful than you Gaz. 
    Sorry Gaz, I don't get this - Chris's post above about Kane would indicate otherwise too?

I just can't see the entire Man Utd defence holding their hands up on sixty minutes at Fulham on Sunday when it's nil-nil and saying "That's it, we're off to Qatar" and the manager saying "Cheers lads, off you go".  
    I’m talking about some players that pick up any type of slight knock will be thinking yep I ain’t risking that, and signalling to the bench to come off. 

• Options

I’m talking about some players that pick up any type of slight knock will be thinking yep I ain’t risking that, and signalling to the bench to come off. 

I suppose that's possible, they can feign an injury after all. 
  • Options
    Then Southgate could not select them citing the injury they had in the game.
  • Options
    Does this mean we get 9k a day for Gunter too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    So if a player comes off 'precautionary' with a slight twist of the ankle or 'felt their hamstring tweak', Southgate cant pick them for a month long tournament starting next week?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    So if a player comes off 'precautionary' with a slight twist of the ankle or 'felt their hamstring tweak', Southgate cant pick them for a month long tournament starting next week?
    Yeah that's BS, certainly wouldn't work the other way round. 
  • Options
    Often wonder if some people on this forum have ever watched a football match before. 
  • Options
    Often wonder if some people on this forum have ever watched a football match before. 
    Most of them certainly haven't watched Charlton in the last 10 years. Empty vessels and all that.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    iaitch said:
    Am pretty sure its the other way around.

If a player comes off "injured" then I'm pretty sure the National Team have the right to call them up, and complete their own medical checks - It was a big argument between Watford and Senegal for example over AFCON at the start of the year.

https://www.watfordfc.com/news/club-statement-ismaila-sarr-senegal
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/africa-cup-of-nations/story/4579558/ismaila-sarr-belatedly-joins-senegals-afcon-campaign
  • Options
    Mario Gotze has to be a bit of a surprise inclusion in the Germany squad, hasnt played for them since 2017

• Options
    Mario Gotze has to be a bit of a surprise inclusion in the Germany squad, hasnt played for them since 2017

Moukoko is only 17 and has never played for the senior side.

He has a stupidly ridiculous scoring record at youth level though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Some squad that. Midfield only area they're not stacked with quality.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    My reply was about players feigning injuries to come off.

Not saying it's compulsory but Southgate could decide the player is injured and shouldn't risk him.

Hamstrings are quite a common injury so why take a player who has 'tweaked' one.
  • Options
    Sadio Mane has been called up by Senegal
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Done my reverse forecast bet for the group stage. 

Group A - Holland Senegal
    Group B - England USA
    Group C - Argentina Mexico 
    Group D - France Denmark 
    Group E - Germany Spain
    Group F - Belgium Croatia
    Group G - Brazil Serbia
    Group H - Portugal South Korea

£5 returns 2.5k. There will be a few surprises but impossible to tell from where.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    What about Group H?

Group D is France's Group, not Germany's
  • Options
    Haha sorry I typed it out on the train so no wonder it’s all over the place 
  • Options
    Thanks for posting all of those squad announcements @ForeverAddickted much appreciated
  • Options
    Thanks for posting all of those squad announcements @ForeverAddickted much appreciated
    There have been more, but didnt want to spam the thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Ecuador | Iran | Mexico | Denmark | Tunisia | Canada | Ghana | South Korea, are the only countries on there which dont show a confirmed squad - Although Canada intend to release theirs on Sunday
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Gotta admit this is the first WC that has crept up on me. Until the squads started being announced this week I'd assumed it started the week after. Not quite sure why that is tbh. Maybe the timing with the current rugby/cricket events has meant less build up on the BBC in particular? 

This leaves me rushing to get up to speed on the groups, squads, etc. in time for the works Fantasy Football competition. It does seem the most open WC for ages with most squads having some weaknesses e.g the Belgian defence must have an average age of about 35!

Anyone got a cheapy, good value make weight or break out star in mind for their FF team they can share? 
  • Options
    Gotta admit this is the first WC that has crept up on me. Until the squads started being announced this week I'd assumed it started the week after. Not quite sure why that is tbh. Maybe the timing with the current rugby/cricket events has meant less build up on the BBC in particular? 

This leaves me rushing to get up to speed on the groups, squads, ETC. in time for the works Fantasy Football competition. It does seem the most open WC for ages with most squads having some weaknesses e.g the Belgian defence must have an average age of about 35!

Anyone got a cheapy, good value make weight or break out star in mind for their FF team they can share? 
    Will probably stick quite a few Dutch players in my team as on paper they have a very easy group and should score a few goals. I’ve even done Depay e/w for the Golden Boot at 25/1. If they win their group they get the runner up in ours.