Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    Booked the Monday off work, can’t wait. Then 4 games a day for two weeks. How can you not like that!
  • Options
    Booked the Monday off work, can’t wait. Then 4 games a day for two weeks. How can you not like that!
    I don’t think there is any excitement quite like what comes the day an international tournament starts. 

Christmas x10.
  • Options
    Paul Pogba ruled out of the tournament. What a shame.
  • Options
    hard for me really cant get into it. think brazil will be a force. 

done a predictor came out with a brazil belgium final ( brazil to beat arg in semi ) 

we go out in the 1/4s to France sorry  
  • Options
    I get the buzz factor before normally, however once it starts i am sure everyone will soon change their mind and get into it. I am sure those not looking forward to it now, or dont care will be watching at least the England matches and probably depends how we get on whether that increases their buzz around it. 
  • Options
    going to be a lot of players last world cups. 

ronadlo and messis? 2 of the greatest players in my lifetime. 
  • Options
    I get the buzz factor before normally, however once it starts i am sure everyone will soon change their mind and get into it. I am sure those not looking forward to it now, or dont care will be watching at least the England matches and probably depends how we get on whether that increases their buzz around it. 
    I'll watch teh games but feel deeply unhappy about the whole thing. I wonder if Quater think they've got good value for their sportswashing money. I hope not and hope that non-footballing countries won't bother to bid again. 
  • Options
    can't get excited by it yet, but will 100% be watching it all once it starts
  • Options
    Tough to get excited by it really, but obviously will watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No doubt each fan will be given a flag on entry to the stadium to boost the 'authentic'; atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    If Qatar wants something it buys it. Its national team has only four players of Qatari origin. It is worse than Ireland under Jackie Charlton! I hope they get stuffed in every game they play. 
  • Options
    Anyone know what dates official squads have to be submitted?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    13th November is the latest - A few of the preliminary squads have been announced

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads
  • Options
    By 13th November but Southgate expected to announce England's on the 10th
  • Options
    Cheers guys
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    13th November is the latest - A few of the preliminary squads have been announced

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads
    I had a quick glance through the current lists.  What sort of a name is  Kenneth Taylor for a Dutchman?
  • Options
    If your own nation, England for most of us, I guess, can't win it, which two teams would you want to see in the final?  I'd go for Denmark v The Netherlands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    If your own nation, England for most of us, I guess, can't win it, which two teams would you want to see in the final?  I'd go for Denmark v The Netherlands.
    I’m certainly no Argentina fan, but purely for narrative purposes I’d love to see Lionel Messi finally get his hands on the trophy.

Portugal and Ronaldo also happen to be on the opposite side of the draw…
  • Options
    The Portugal group is very interesting. Four pretty decent sides in there.
  • Options
    How many players have played at the World Cup whilst at Charlton?

I can remember Jensen, Kinsella, Reza. 

Wondering how select a list Wollacott will be in.
  • Options
    Ukraine have asked FIFA to ban Iran from world cup. 

Ukraine say that Iran has been supplying weapons to the Russians.

Iran are also in breach of FIFAs own charter on human rights and discrimination. 

Of course FIFA won't ban them cos it will cost them too much money. 

The comment section from Russian bots is pretty special on the daily fail site...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11373829/Ukraine-appeal-FIFA-Iran-BANNED-World-Cup.html

• Options
    Instead of watching the world Cup with the full required attention... I'm probably going to be moaning about it on charltonlife.

When England inevitably get involved in a penalty shootout...I will reach for my phone in my pocket and casually check up on some messages like emails etc

When a grealish penalty accelerates to the moon and makes another one feel jealous, that's probably when I'll go to bed. 

• Options
    edited November 2022
    https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/-project-merciless---how-qatar-spied-on-the-world-of-football-in-switzerland/48022952

‘Project Merciless’: how Qatar spied on the world of football in Switzerland

Qatar orchestrated a large-scale and long-standing intelligence operation against FIFA officials with the help of former CIA operatives. Switzerland was a key theatre of operations. The highest echelons of the Qatari government were involved.

• Options
    Anybody completed the sticker album?
  • Options
    I'd love for an African team to win it if not England. Can't see it happening, but would be great.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Anybody completed the sticker album?
    Yes. Kept me very occupied for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I certainly haven't been looking forward to this like usually, but though it was just me, and people like me who worry about the geo-politics of football. Then I discovered both on here and on Twitter that more English fans feel the same way broadly, that the buzz isn't there. But today, when I spoke to my Serbian buddy to plan our next beer, he stunned me by saying that its the same mood among Serbian fans, and that is really odd because they have qualified, which is normally enough to send the country into hysteria (and then the hard fall as yet another golden generation underperforms).

Putting aside the geo-politics I think many European fans resent the time of year when it happens. The fans of their bigger clubs will resent it even more if their stars return injured (although many will at least return to a winter break). 

Sure I'll watch England, (although I'll have to miss the Iran game) and I'm curious to see just who turns out for "Qatar", but otherwise I really won't bother much. Whether this indifference shows up in the TV ratings, we'll see, but I really doubt there will be fans returning to tell us how great it all was. Are they still putting fans up on cruise ships?