Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    What I love about a summer world cup is, well, it's in the summer.

Beer gardens, atmosphere, daylight in the evenings and outside screens. This will be freezing, wet, hard to see or get a seat in front of a screen and overall be a bit shite atmosphere wise. 

I understand the sentiment if you habitually watch matches in pubs, and I disagree with holding it in Qatar in general.

However I've got used to this idea of pausing the football season and holding the World Cup in winter. In summer I enjoy spending time gardening, going out, going on holiday, doing other daytime activities. In winter I'm happy to spend the time needed to watch the matches on the sofa. January would be perfect as I hate that lull after Christmas.

If it works out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's suggested again for 2026, especially considering the heat in summer in USA and Mexico.

Does no-one else feel like me, or at least understand the advantages? 
  • Options
    Southgate f******g mental to not take Toney
  • Options
    Southgate f******g mental to not take Toney
    You dont think this has anything to do with it?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/06/ivan-toney-fa-assisting-enquiries-brentford-england
  • Options
    With Mexico announcing their squad around 10 minutes or so ago, Ecuador are the last remaining nation to have not done so.
  • Options
    Looks like England are one of few teams that doesn't have a friendly before the group game v Iran 

I suppose match fitness isn't a problem 

• Options
    10 ex Addicks going to the World Cup! 

Should get some sort of payment for : smith, Williams, Gunter & millar
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Beer gardens, atmosphere, daylight in the evenings and outside screens. This will be freezing, wet, hard to see or get a seat in front of a screen and overall be a bit shite atmosphere wise. 

I understand the sentiment if you habitually watch matches in pubs, and I disagree with holding it in Qatar in general.

However I've got used to this idea of pausing the football season and holding the World Cup in winter. In summer I enjoy spending time gardening, going out, going on holiday, doing other daytime activities. In winter I'm happy to spend the time needed to watch the matches on the sofa. January would be perfect as I hate that lull after Christmas.

If it works out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's suggested again for 2026, especially considering the heat in summer in USA and Mexico.

Think Saudi Arabia are going for the 2030 WC, there's no way that could be held in the summer either. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

I can only think of 9. Who have I missed?

2 England, 5 Wales, 1 Poland and 1 Canada. 
  • Options

A January WC would've certainly taken away the boredom of that month!, however for me the WC is 1,000% a summer tournament and should stay that way

this has to be a one off and not to be repeated
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Think Saudi Arabia are going for the 2030 WC, there's no way that could be held in the summer either. 

I guess the Qatar world Cup is a winter test for the future. 

If they do this again then it could at least be more organised. I don't agree with it though. A world Cup should always be prioritised for the summer!
  • Options
    gives southern hemisphere countries chance to host in their summer rather than in winter. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

I can only think of 9. Who have I missed?

2 England, 5 Wales, 1 Poland and 1 Canada. 
    England- Pope & Gallagher 
    wales - Williams, smith, Lockyer, levitt & Gunter 
    poland - beleik
    canada - Millar 
    serbia - dmitrovic

Writing this, I’ve thought of another!

Serbia - Milos veljkovic

• Options
    Sarmiento for Ecuador maybe?
  • Options
    Imagine...QF sudden death penalty shootout.  Harry maguire picks up the ball and very slowly walks to the goal....the panic is emerging and we know we are out of the tournament again

But to everyone's shock...he scores and celebrates like Stuart Pearce!

England are through...Christmas has come early!

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Imagine...QF sudden death penalty shootout.  Harry maguire picks up the ball and very slowly walks to the goal....the panic is emerging and we know we are out of the tournament again

But to everyone's shock...he scores and celebrates like Stuart Pearce!

England are through...Christmas has come early!

To be fair to him, Maguire's penalty in last years final v Italy was about a good a pen as you'll ever see

Vaguely remember it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63629867

"When I look at Harry, I see a partner. Through all our experiences he's had my back and I've had his," Stones said.

"We've had so many games together, we've made a bond and a partnership together. We know what the other person is going to do and how we work best together. It clicks."

Would have absolutely no problem with Maguire playing alongside Stones and White/Walker. 
    Bit harsh on Walker to call it a partnership when it only really works because Walker is there in a back 3.
  • Options
    unfortunately Maguire will start
  • Options
    England squad numbers:

1 Pickford
    2 Walker
    3 Shaw
    4 Rice
    5 Stones
    6 Maguire
    7 Grealish
    8 Henderson
    9 Kane
    10 Sterling
    11 Rashford
    12 Trippier
    13 Pope
    14 Phillips
    15 Dier
    16 Coady
    17 Saka
    18 Alexander-Arnold
    19 Mount
    20 Foden
    21 White
    22 Bellingham
    23 Ramsdale
    24 Wilson
    25 Maddison
    26 Gallagher
  • Options
    good to see the england boys off earlier although not overly impressed with the non aknowledgement of the young fans cheering all bar kane, southgate and henderson ignored them. 

callum wilson was more interested in his coffee 
  • Options
    Still trying to get excited about this. I didn't even know England were playing on Monday until my brother told me. Hopefully when it starts! I think I have three issues holding my excitement back. 1) I think Southgate is a coward tactically so when we face a decent team we will be too conservative and get knocked out. Put it this way, we would be better off scoring late if we take the lead. 2) It shouldn't be in Qatar and 3) It shouldn't be at this time of year.
  • Options
    Just watched ‘phenomenon’ on BBC4 about Brazilian Ronaldo. Amazing documentary and has got me even more excited for the World Cup.