Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Options
    Cant wait - I know scheduled to lose to France in quarters if we both top groups, does it get more palatable if we throw final game and finish second ?
  • Options
    Oh god no, try win every game we can. I’d be fuming if we didn’t, especially against the Welsh. France are beatable.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    If we want to win the cup, we need to win every game. 

No point trying to find an easy route because we'll have to play someone decent eventually. Problem is the last two tournaments that 'someone decent' ended up beating us. 
    Wouldn't count Croatia as someone decent, not world class, we just fell apart that game.

They've got a good squad but nine times out of ten, we face them and beat them - I mean apart from the World Cup the only times they've beaten us were when Paul Robinson got defeated by a divot, and when Steve McLaren proved he wasn't a Manager
  • Options
    Modric still world class if Wednesday's Champions League game was any barometer. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I certainly haven't been looking forward to this like usually, but though it was just me, and people like me who worry about the geo-politics of football. Then I discovered both on here and on Twitter that more English fans feel the same way broadly, that the buzz isn't there. But today, when I spoke to my Serbian buddy to plan our next beer, he stunned me by saying that its the same mood among Serbian fans, and that is really odd because they have qualified, which is normally enough to send the country into hysteria (and then the hard fall as yet another golden generation underperforms).

Putting aside the geo-politics I think many European fans resent the time of year when it happens. The fans of their bigger clubs will resent it even more if their stars return injured (although many will at least return to a winter break). 

Sure I'll watch England, (although I'll have to miss the Iran game) and I'm curious to see just who turns out for "Qatar", but otherwise I really won't bother much. Whether this indifference shows up in the TV ratings, we'll see, but I really doubt there will be fans returning to tell us how great it all was. Are they still putting fans up on cruise ships? 
    Yes, there are 2-3 cruise ships for approx 5,000 people and they look absolutely stunning. There are more affordable options though, and despite the media narrative - not everyone has to choose between a 5* star cruise ship or a shipping container. 

I've a feeling this tournament will be one where the match-going fan could have a great experience, as there will be all 32 fanbases in one place and the chance to see multiple games with ease. That in itself is different to any World Cup of the past, and likely the future. 

Besides the resale tickets, which there are a few of, pretty much every ticket has been sold for every game. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

“Dear Presidents, dear General Secretaries,

The FIFA World Cup Qatar is now just around the corner and excitement about the world’s premier football festival is building globally as we count down the days to kick-off in Doha, on Sunday, 20 November 2022.

As one of the 32 participating teams, you carry the hopes and dreams of your home nation and all of its people on your shoulders.

FIFA would like to assure you that in Qatar everything has been prepared to ensure that every participating nation will have the very best chance of achieving success on football’s ultimate stage. The eight state of the art stadiums, where the 64 matches of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™️ will be played, will provide the perfect platform for the world's greatest sporting event.

So, please let’s now focus on the football!

We know football does not live in a vacuum and we are equally aware that there are many challenges and difficulties of a political nature all around the world. But please do not allow football to be dragged into every ideological or political battle that exists.

At FIFA, we try to respect all opinions and beliefs, without handing out moral lessons to the rest of the world. One of the great strengths of the world is indeed its very diversity, and if inclusion means anything, it means having respect for that diversity. No one people or culture or nation is “better” than any other. This principle is the very foundation stone of mutual respect and non-discrimination. And this is also one of the core values of football. So, please let’s all remember that and let football take centre stage.

Now, at the FIFA World Cup, we have the unique occasion and opportunity to welcome and embrace everyone, regardless of origin, background, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality. Let’s take that opportunity and unite the world through the universal language of football. 

Now our focus is football because #NowIsAll.

We wish you every success and a great tournament ahead!

Gianni Infantino FIFA President Fatma Samoura FIFA Secretary General

• Options
    edited November 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Cant wait - I know scheduled to lose to France in quarters if we both top groups, does it get more palatable if we throw final game and finish second ?
    If the groups go as planned…

England win the group
    R16: Senegal ->
    QF: France ->
    SF: Germany / Belgium / Portugal ->
    F: Netherlands / Argentina / Spain / Brazil

England finish second in the group:
    R16: Netherlands ->
    QF: Argentina / Denmark ->
    SF: Brazil / Spain / Croatia ->
    F: France / Germany / Belgium / Portugal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I certainly haven't been looking forward to this like usually, but though it was just me, and people like me who worry about the geo-politics of football. Then I discovered both on here and on Twitter that more English fans feel the same way broadly, that the buzz isn't there. But today, when I spoke to my Serbian buddy to plan our next beer, he stunned me by saying that its the same mood among Serbian fans, and that is really odd because they have qualified, which is normally enough to send the country into hysteria (and then the hard fall as yet another golden generation underperforms).

Putting aside the geo-politics I think many European fans resent the time of year when it happens. The fans of their bigger clubs will resent it even more if their stars return injured (although many will at least return to a winter break). 

Sure I'll watch England, (although I'll have to miss the Iran game) and I'm curious to see just who turns out for "Qatar", but otherwise I really won't bother much. Whether this indifference shows up in the TV ratings, we'll see, but I really doubt there will be fans returning to tell us how great it all was. Are they still putting fans up on cruise ships? 
    Yes, there are 2-3 cruise ships for approx 5,000 people and they look absolutely stunning. There are more affordable options though, and despite the media narrative - not everyone has to choose between a 5* star cruise ship or a shipping container. 

I've a feeling this tournament will be one where the match-going fan could have a great experience, as there will be all 32 fanbases in one place and the chance to see multiple games with ease. That in itself is different to any World Cup of the past, and likely the future. 

Besides the resale tickets, which there are a few of, pretty much every ticket has been sold for every game. 
    The Economist (not normally an outlet I turn to re football) has a very good, and nuanced on-site report. (It might be paywalled for most people but you should be able to get a free pass for a limited number of articles ). The takeout seems to be 

- yes the stadia are ready, and transport to and between them should be fine
    - accommodation is a much more mixed picture. A lot of promised stuff isn't finished
    - getting something to eat, when you want it, might be a problem
    - the authorities claim that beer etc will be available to fans but were coy about showing where..

Good luck to anyone who is going, I certainly wouldn't bother even on a freebie, ( but at my age I'm not into queueing for a kebab for dinner).

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

England win the group

Cant see us getting past the quarters unless Southgate somehow turns us into the world beaters our squad quality suggests. 
  • Options
    France are in pretty awful form by all accounts. They are definitely beatable.

We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that other countries will look at England as a force to be concerned about based on the last two tournaments. They’ll probably be playing up our chances even more than England fans are.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

England win the group

France are not a given to win their group... 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    MrOneLung said:

England win the group

Cant see us getting past the quarters unless Southgate somehow turns us into the world beaters our squad quality suggests. 
    I did fear last Euros when we meet Germany early, however we were brilliant. So that type of performance if we get France early.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The Economist (not normally an outlet I turn to re football) has a very good, and nuanced on-site report. (It might be paywalled for most people but you should be able to get a free pass for a limited number of articles ). The takeout seems to be 

- accommodation is a much more mixed picture. A lot of promised stuff isn't finished
    - the authorities claim that beer etc will be available to fans but were coy about showing where..

Good luck to anyone who is going, I certainly wouldn't bother even on a freebie, ( but at my age I'm not into queueing for a kebab for dinner).

A lot of hotels in Doha have licenses to sell alcohol now (or at least most of the ones i looked at do).

I think there is going to be a fan park as well, and from what i've read they will be opening 'fan zones' outside each stadium to match ticket holders 3 hours before kick off and you can get alcohol there.

However once inside the stadiums i think it'll only be hospitality areas where you can get alcohol though.
  • Options
    Can’t we have the bye matches of 2018
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cafctom said:

Unfortunately couldn’t see the full article without a subscription. 

There are undoubtedly going to be challenges when the tournament kicks off, which will hopefully be ironed out after a few days. However, the nature of this tournament means that even the slightest problem is going to be exploded by the mainstream media, and people are going to want to believe it all. 

There has been a story doing the rounds this morning from a couple of outlets claiming a group of England fans are being paid money to ‘spy’ on anyone criticising Qatar. Quite quickly that has been rebutted as absolute nonsense. 

Whilst looking at accommodation myself I saw there were quite a few hotels (already built) available for different budgets. No surprise there are concerns about whether the rooms ‘under construction’ are ready though. 

Ultimately, there is no way of knowing any of this will work until it actually starts. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

There are undoubtedly going to be challenges when the tournament kicks off, which will hopefully be ironed out after a few days. However, the nature of this tournament means that even the slightest problem is going to be exploded by the mainstream media, and people are going to want to believe it all. 

There has been a story doing the rounds this morning from a couple of outlets claiming a group of England fans are being paid money to ‘spy’ on anyone criticising Qatar. Quite quickly that has been rebutted as absolute nonsense. 

Whilst looking at accommodation myself I saw there were quite a few hotels (already built) available for different budgets. No surprise there are concerns about whether the rooms ‘under construction’ are ready though. 

Ultimately, there is no way of knowing any of this will work until it actually starts. 
    Rebutted by whom? The Qataris?  :D

It's in the Times and Dominic Lawton isvan experienced journo. More importantly the fans who have singed up for this travesty are right here, named and interviewed. The trumpeter in the effing band no less. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

England win the group

F: France / Germany / Belgium / 
    So Just France between us and the final. 

It’s coming home 
  • Options
    Can we keep it to the football please.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I fancy Denmark to top that group and think they’ll be more of a challenge than France…so still a possible problem to get past the quarters! 
    Hopefully an England Argentina final and we avenge the HOG…

• Options
    WHAddick said:
    I fancy Denmark to top that group and think they’ll be more of a challenge than France…so still a possible problem to get past the quarters! 
    Hopefully an England Argentina final and we avenge the HOG…

Yeah I mentioned the other day that the Danes could well win the group, either beating France or drawing and having a better GD. They have a decent recent record against them.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Rebutted by whom? The Qataris?  :D

It's in the Times and Dominic Lawton isvan experienced journo. More importantly the fans who have singed up for this travesty are right here, named and interviewed. The trumpeter in the effing band no less. 

No, by the fan leaders themselves. They’ve made honest and open responses to the articles and I’m much more inclined to take their side of it than any journalist willing to call England fans ‘spies’.

Anyway, back to the football as the thread intended.
  • Options
    Can we keep it to the football please.
    Sure, we can open another thread for the non-game stuff if necessary. Apologies for the diversion.
  • Options
    If Qatar wants something it buys it. Its national team has only four players of Qatari origin. It is worse than Ireland under Jackie Charlton! I hope they get stuffed in every game they play. 
    Really?
  • Options
    Just cant get excited about it. 

Don't even know the dates it starts or finishes

Dont know the dates when England are playing 

Just taken all the shine off it being in the middle of the season AND when we are still playing League games.

FIFA stinks.
    Your feelings have nothing to do with the fact that FIFA stinks. 

You're just too set in your ways, and you don't like your personal TV schedule to be unbalanced.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

England win the group

I know it’s interesting to do things like this, but it never ever works out as you imagine. At least one of those big nations won’t make it out of the group, just for starters.
  • Options
    Anyone moaning about the venue for this World Cup or protesting for boycotts should have done so when the World cup was awarded. Here's a reminder of what Lifers were saying back then:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/38176/fifas-message-to-the-world-today/p1