Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Casey Stoney?
  • Options
    Pauline Cope too possibly.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Yes, I think so
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Casey Stoney and Eni Aluko are the two I remember seeing on TV playing for England and being proud of them being Charlton players. I only ever saw that great team play once live, in an FA Cup final, so wasn't too familiar with who our internationals were. Wikipedia suggests Katie Chapman in addition to the names people have already suggested.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    McBobbin said:
    LenGlover said:
    Yes, I think so
    Definitely remember her being our and England’s ‘keeper.

Looked it up: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Cope

But can we forgive her being a Spanneress? (Is a female spanner a wench?)
  • Options
    A Female Spanner is a Wrench.
  • Options
    Are we claiming the ones that played when under the Croydon team that we stole, or just players from the current proper Charlton team ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    Are we claiming the ones that played when under the Croydon team that we stole, or just players from the current proper Charlton team ? 

It looks like we are claiming the Croydon team that we pressed ganged into the good ship Charlton until we scuttled the ship and the players got lifeboats to stronger vessels.
  • Options
    Will be going to a few games for sure as it is on my doorstep.  :)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think Pauline Cope is the only Croydon player among those who've been mentioned. The others were all brought in on transfers in the years after Croydon had become Charlton.

I don't think there's ever been an England player who came up through the Charlton women's youth/development system, unless I'm forgetting someone who won a cap after leaving us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carmaine Walker and Amanda Barr represented England while they were with us I think. Pretty sure Barr scored at the 2005 Euros
  • Options
    From our website - "Notable former Charlton players include England internationals Pauline Cope, Jo Broadhurst, Casey Stoney, Katie Chapman, Eniola Aluko, Fara Williams and Jo Potter."
  • Options
    Fara Williams is one of my favourite pundits/co-commentators
  • Options
    How does Aluko keep getting work
  • Options

"ITV has announced a star-studded lineup for its live coverage of the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Viewers will be guided through the tournament by the channel's stellar team, who will contribute to comprehensive coverage, expert analysis and the very best action on ITV.

Led by main presenter Laura Woods as well as Seema Jaswal and Michelle Owen, ITV’s Women's World Cup squad will offer expert insight, opinion and analysis from Eni Aluko, Karen Carney, Jill Scott, Emma Hayes, Fran Kirby, Lucy Ward, Siobhan Chamberlain, Emma Byrne, Vicky Losada and Jen Beattie."

Imagine the uproar and cries of sexism if this was the men's world cup and there was 1 female in the entire lineup........who wasn't even named in the press release.

I feel like you would have seen that like, 10 years ago. 
  • Options
    One week till kickoff. NZ play Norway in their opening game and it would be something of a surprise if the host nation pulled off a win.  NZ beat Vietnam 2-0 in a warm-up game - it was their first victory in 10 years.  Norway won the World Cup in 1995 and were the losing finalist in the inaugural World Cup in 1991 v the US.

Australia on the other hand are heavy favourites to beat the Republic of Ireland in their opening match.

England, European Champions, start their campaign on Saturday July 22nd in Brisbane against World Cup debutant Haiti.  The match starts at 10.30am UK time.
  • Options
    We are going to Morocco vs Colombia. Never been to a world cup match before so very excited. Haven't decided who to support, my Algerian ancestry pulls Atlas mountains way, but my lover Bibiana will never forgive me if I don't support Colombia. I'm going with my wife though so Morocco it may be
  • Options
    One week till kickoff. NZ play Norway in their opening game and it would be something of a surprise if the host nation pulled off a win.  NZ beat Vietnam 2-0 in a warm-up game - it was their first victory in 10 years.  Norway won the World Cup in 1995 and were the losing finalist in the inaugural World Cup in 1991 v the US.

Australia on the other hand are heavy favourites to beat the Republic of Ireland in their opening match.

England, European Champions, start their campaign on Saturday July 22nd in Brisbane against World Cup debutant Haiti.  The match starts at 10.30am UK time.
    Hold on - New Zealand women had not won for 10 years ?
  • Options
    Thanks MrOL.  Actually, should be 10 Games.  They’ve had one or two draws.  NZ have never had a World Cup game win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"ITV has announced a star-studded lineup for its live coverage of the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Viewers will be guided through the tournament by the channel's stellar team, who will contribute to comprehensive coverage, expert analysis and the very best action on ITV.

Led by main presenter Laura Woods as well as Seema Jaswal and Michelle Owen, ITV’s Women's World Cup squad will offer expert insight, opinion and analysis from Eni Aluko, Karen Carney, Jill Scott, Emma Hayes, Fran Kirby, Lucy Ward, Siobhan Chamberlain, Emma Byrne, Vicky Losada and Jen Beattie."

Imagine the uproar and cries of sexism if this was the men's world cup and there was 1 female in the entire lineup........who wasn't even named in the press release.

Hmmm. I think there would be some raised eyebrows but nothing more as women have for years not being on a level playing field so it wouldn’t surprise most. (MOTD every week?)

In the same way I raised my eyebrows reading this post that on the verge of the world cup for the women where we have a huge chance of being successful this is what has been pointed out. 
    We need to get to a place in society where we’re not comparing male v female ratios (or colour or anything else) as an instinctive reaction. 

Essentially, after years of inequality, there is a bias to achieve ‘levelling up’.  

• Options
    I haven't got the same optimism as I had for the Euros. What is in England's favour is they have a good group where they can get up to speed without too much risk and I hope they do.
  • Options
    I haven't got the same optimism as I had for the Euros. What is in England's favour is they have a good group where they can get up to speed without too much risk and I hope they do.
    And a winning manager who seems to know what she is doing during games.
  • Options
    Some impressive CGI work here - a mobile phone company has taken footage of the French national team and replaced the players with members of the other French national team. Very clever. The cynic in me sees this as needing more effort to persuade French fans to watch the women's game than is needed here where there's already serious interest in the big internationals - I can't imagine someone doing something similar with the England teams without it looking ridiculously patronising.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Agree.
    Russo, Kelly and Toone were the super subs who made such a difference in every game.
    James and Hemp can make an impact plus  Daley now being a number 9 rather that a LB which Spain exploited in the Q.Final but with their two main strikers missing couldn't convert the chances. I was behind the goal and England rode their luck and I had a great view of  Stanway's winner.

Walsh is an excellent passer of the ball; the pass to Toone at Wembley was sublime but she could be marked/kicked out the game.

I don't expect England to win as how can Mead, Williamson, Kirby injured and the experience Jill Scott and Ellen White not be missed. 
    I believe we will struggle at CB with a rusty Millie Bright and whoever is selected as her Partner. It might be Greenwood who was a LB for many years. I have doubts with Wobben-Moy to replace Williamson.

Getting my excuses in early but semi final may be the best we can hope for.  Top manager in Sarin Wiegman but this will be an ever tougher challenge than winning with the Netherlands and England in home Euro's.
  • Options
    There’s not much hype at the moment.  Perhaps this will pick up in a couple of days when the tournament starts. Most prominent news item so far has been an official apology from the Spain skipper for her players trying (pathetically) to imitate a haka.

There have been over 1.3m tickets sold here and in Oz so far but sales of around 300,000 in NZ are considered light.  It’s by far the biggest sporting event ever held in NZ, four times bigger it was said than the rugby World Cup.

50,000 tickets have been given away in NZ for use in “lesser” games not involving NZ or leading nations.
  • Options
    Honestly forgot it was on (and I'm looking forward to it!).

Think it's a combination of The Ashes and Wimbledon being on for me personally, but also it doesn't feel like it's being trailed or hyped much in the media?
  • Options
    These are the betting odds on the NZ TAB (NZ’s only betting agency) for the team to win the World Cup.  The figure after each team represents the amount returned for a NZ$ invested:

USA $3.50
    England $5
    Spain $6
    Germany $7.50
    Australia $9.50
    France $11
    Sweden $17
    Netherlands $21
    Brazil $31
    Canada $34
    Japan $34
    Norway $51
    Denmark $81
    italy $101
    Portugal $151
    Argentina $251
    China $251
    Columbia $251
    New Zealand $251
    Nigeria $251
    Republic of Ireland $251
    South Korea $251
    Switzerland $251
    Haiti $501
    Jamaica $501
    Philippines $501
    South Africa $501
    Zambia $501
    Costa Rica $1,001
    Morocco $1,001
    Panama $1,001
    Vietnam $1,001

The Golden Boot award will go to the top goal scorer.  The leading contenders are:

Alex Morgan (USA). $6.00
    Sophia Smith (USA) $7.00
    Sam Kerr (Australia) $10.00
    Esther Gonzalez (Spain) $11.00
    Rachel Daly (England) $11.00

• Options
    These are the betting odds on the NZ TAB (NZ’s only betting agency) for the team to win the World Cup.  The figure after each team represents the amount returned for a NZ$ invested:

USA $3.50
    England $5
    Spain $6
    Germany $7.50
    Australia $9.50
    France $11
    Sweden $17
    Netherlands $21
    Brazil $31
    Canada $34
    Japan $34
    Norway $51
    Denmark $81
    italy $101
    Portugal $151
    Argentina $251
    China $251
    Columbia $251
    New Zealand $251
    Nigeria $251
    Republic of Ireland $251
    South Korea $251
    Switzerland $251
    Haiti $501
    Jamaica $501
    Philippines $501
    South Africa $501
    Zambia $501
    Costa Rica $1,001
    Morocco $1,001
    Panama $1,001
    Vietnam $1,001

The Golden Boot award will go to the top goal scorer.  The leading contenders are:

Alex Morgan (USA). $6.00
    Sophia Smith (USA) $7.00
    Sam Kerr (Australia) $10.00
    Esther Gonzalez (Spain) $11.00
    Rachel Daly (England) $11.00

Interesting idea.