Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    The Aussies look very ordinary without Kerr
    My biggest women's football hot take is that Sam Kerr is massively overrated. Great goal poacher, not much else. 

I also think this Australia team has gone backwards in the last couple of years to the point where they just look ordinary. 3-4 years ago they looked like one of the best teams in the world. They were quick, direct, and pressed incredibly well. Since then, a combination of retirements, players aging, and others just not really kicking on and they just don't look that dangerous, even with Kerr. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Rothko said:
    My biggest women's football hot take is that Sam Kerr is massively overrated. Great goal poacher, not much else. 

I also think this Australia team has gone backwards in the last couple of years to the point where they just look ordinary. 3-4 years ago they looked like one of the best teams in the world. They were quick, direct, and pressed incredibly well. Since then, a combination of retirements, players aging, and others just not really kicking on and they just don't look that dangerous, even with Kerr. 

Similar to Aguero then. 
  • Options
    Norway have 4 players who are World class judging by their records for their clubs but don't  play as a team.
  • Options

What was this all about?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Was an incredible save onto the bar by the NZ keeper, surprised more wasn't made of it
    I couldn't decide if it might have hit the bar anyway, didn't deviate much.
    I thought the save of the night was by the Norwegian keeper, a brilliant flying dive to palm the ball away for a corner.
  • Options
    Missed the first couple of games but watching Canada v Nigeria this evening
  • Options
    Come on the Filipinas 
  • Options
    Don't see how that was a penalty 
  • Options
    I didn’t realise the refs were mic’d up. That was hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Rothko said:

Similar to Aguero then. 
    Aguero’s hold up play was insane
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Rothko said:

Similar to Aguero then. 
    Aguero’s hold up play was insane

Didn't think I needed to put the Emoji, but Kerr like the brilliant Aguero is so much more than just a goal poacher.
  • Options
    Only watched short highlights of the hosts two games yesterday and Kerr being missing was a major shock to the Sheilas. (Matildas )
    Scrapped a win and McCabe was her normal feisty self ! 
    Great goal by  the 'All Whites' Maori:Ōmā against the Under achievers in Norway. I love seeing the ball go wide, beat the full back for speed and a quality cross on the deck for the striker who beats the CB to bury the ball in the net. 

Philippines full of enthusiasm unfortunately offside against the possession football of the Swiss and then a naive challenge to give a penalty where Bachmann went into overdrive to convert the penalty. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

What was this all about?
    New Olympic event. Women's people hammer?
  • Options
    Unlucky Filipinas. The Swiss had an extra player in yellow. Awful referee. 
  • Options
    Costa Rica parking two buses.
    85% possession by Spain.
    Spain need to have shots future out to test the Amateur keeper.
  • Options
    OG 🤦🏻‍♀️by Costa.
    Spain smell the coffee.
  • Options
    This scoreline could get ugly very quickly...
  • Options
    I saw Bonmati play against England in Euro's.
    Top player and well taken 2nd goal 
  • Options
    2-0

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0

• Options
    Puncture on both Costa Rica buses but the 3rd poor penalty already in the WC( 2 good pens) see the score stay at 3.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Jonniesta said:
    This scoreline could get ugly very quickly...

As 30% of teams are amateur, this will happen in the Women's World cup against the top professional teams.
  • Options
    Who was the Spanish player that got a nasty injury just before the Euros started? I remember at the time folks were saying it was a huge loss for them…
  • Options
    Who was the Spanish player that got a nasty injury just before the Euros started? I remember at the time folks were saying it was a huge loss for them…
    Putellas, yeah, big loss and will help them this year having her back 
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Putellas who did her ACL a week before the Euro's. 
    She is on the bench today as she had a slight strain and they didn't want to risk her.

Alexia Putellas won the balloon d'Or in 2021 and 22 which was a tad harsh on Beth Mead last year. Mead came 2nd.
  • Options
    Non-event 2nd half:

Damage limitation by Costa Rica and Spain just playing in 2nd gear. 
    3-0 and both teams satisfied.
  • Options
    Women's World Cup: England goalkeeper Mary Earps hurt fans can't buy replica shirt - BBC Sport 

I think this just proves that the likes of Nike have bugger all interest in woman's football, the outfield shirts are the same as the mens so they sell them in womans fit anyway for supporters of the mens team
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Women's World Cup: England goalkeeper Mary Earps hurt fans can't buy replica shirt - BBC Sport 

I think this just proves that the likes of Nike have bugger all interest in woman's football, the outfield shirts are the same as the mens so they sell them in womans fit anyway for supporters of the mens team
    I would just caveat this by saying it's not universally true, and in the last few years Nike has done a good job with the US teams of having the women's shirts available (though I can't speak directly to keeper shirts, but I know they've been available in the past). 

But we're obviously talking about two different markets and it's a deal shame that girls can't get keeper shirts for a World Cup. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Looking forward to Vietnam fucking over the USA again. Shame it's at 2 in the morning. 

Haiti is an odd one for us. They any good? 
    Women's football is really the only time I get patriotic, so I've got one word for ya: Threepeat. 
    Or, in English, hat-trick. Truly, two peoples divided by a common language.