Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 25th October 2022 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes
Tuesday 25th October 2022 - 19:45

Live on Charlton TV worldwide (but let's get down to support the players, if we can)

Referee
Neil Hair - previously officiated us away at Portsmouth last season where we won 1-2.

Introduction
3 wins on the bounce and our first away win of the season. Things suddenly look like they're starting to click for Garner and the squad. What is arguably just as impressive, and important, are the clean sheets that we have been keeping in our last few games. A settled defence and players being able to play game after game makes all the difference. The last time Charlton won more than 3 games in a row was 2 years ago, October 2020, when in fact we won 6 on the spin. The challenge now is after gaining some momentum and looking up towards the play-offs, can we do it against a club who we only seem to play on a Tuesday night and who are the struggling side of the division so far, Milton Keynes.

Opposition
Position: 24th
Manager: Liam Manning
Last 6: LLLLLW

Milton Keynes have lost their last 5 in the league, the latest defeat coming against Wycombe at the weekend, 1-0. The side who were extremely unfortunate last season to miss out on automatic promotion have found life to another season in the third tier challenging this time round. Losing Scott Twine to Burnley and Troy Parrott going back to Spurs have really hit the side from Buckinghimshire hard. Proven by only 3 teams have scored fewer than them this season whereas only 6 have scored more than us. How fortunes have turned so quickly.

MK's league position is somewhat surprising though. They do still have players such as Bradley Johnson, Josh McEachran, Will Grigg, Louie Barry, Nathan Holland, and the experienced Dean Lewington. Players who really ought to be doing better having played at higher level or are still highly thought of. But ultimately, there is a reason why they're playing for Milton Keynes and are bottom. Maybe they're just not as good as they once were, maybe they're not living up to the hype, or maybe they're in a false position and just lack that quality to put it in the back of the net? This though, looks unlikely as only Lincoln and Morecambe average less shots per game and only Morecambe, Wycombe, and Forest Green face more shots per game than MK. There seems to be problems at both ends of the pitch and therein lies a telling factor.

Charlton Team News
Tyreece Campbell made his full debut in Shropshire and impressed. The young academy graduate naturally was quiet in the opening stages but grew into the game and caused problems. His pace, directness, and ability to skip passed players means he was a natural replacement for the injured Blackett-Taylor. Young Campbell showing he could be a useful option going forward this season if required.

Otherwise, Garner named an unchanged team whilst Thomas returned to the squad in the absence of CBT. I feel this could be the only change to the squad on Tuesday night if he is fit enough to be involved following his minor knock.

Rak-Sakyi came under a bout of criticism after missing some gilt-edge chances but came up trumps to gain the 3 points by continuing to get into the position to score. A positive sign for a young player who could quite easily have shied away following 2 great chances in the first half. That winner should do his confidence the world of good and will look to kick on again.

Wollacott
Egbo Inniss O’Connell Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi Dobson Fraser Campbell
Stockley Kirk

MacGillivray, Clare, McGrandles, Payne, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor, Aneke

Prediction
The big question now is can we follow up a great 12 days with another win, a win which would take us into the top six come 10pm as others are likely to drop points. 3 points under the lights would really lift the mood ahead of another huge game at The Valley on Saturday, but let's get the job done first. Garner's Addicks continue the run and really look to put MK to the sword.

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Milton Keynes
Stockley
Rak-Sakyi
Aneke

Comments

• Options
    I normally lean on the more positive side of things, but a niggling part of me knows that MK Dons do have some quality players and a young well thought of manager and surely they can’t keep on losing games.

We can’t keep on smashing teams in midweek fixtures + MK Dons will not keep losing games = 2 - 2.

I actually feel more confident for the Ipswich game this weekend. 

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    We'll smash them 
  • Options
    Yes what could possibly go wrong?! I to strangely feel more confident about the Ipswich game. However we are are on a roll now so 1-0. Stockley.
  • Options
    Hopefully Garner isnt about to let the team rest on its laurels as that is the only way we lose this game! 3 points will see us in the top 6vand is vital as ipswich at the weekend will be a tough test. I really think there is a belief in this squad now and I dont thinknthey will let this one slip. 3-0 coyrs 
  • Options
    We rotate a couple of players and lose. 
  • Options
    Good line up @Sage, but I think BG should be mindful of being too predictable.
  • Options
    We need to exploit the oppositions woeful record of conceding goals when trying to play out from the back. If the coaches have been watching the videos we should be pressing them on the edge of their box
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Need to batter someone to build confidence we’ve been pretty good at home this season Ipswich on Saturday will be very tough a must win this game as I can’t see us getting naff all from Ipswich Saturday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable home win, 3-0.
  • Options
    Need to batter someone to build confidence we’ve been pretty good at home this season Ipswich on Saturday will be very tough a must win this game as I can’t see us getting naff all from Ipswich Saturday. 
    One of only 3 unbeaten sides at home along with Plymouth and Portsmouth. Only Sheff Weds and Peterborough have scored more at home.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see if Inniss plays.

Can he play 3 games in 8 days?
  • Options
    He already did it recently didn't he? Though might be a sensible one to rest him. 
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the opinion on Innis being fixed. We know both him and Aneke are vulnerable if overplayed. 

Fingers crossed but history suggests that his minutes need managing. As Lavelle has not impressed, we do need to keep stability at the back.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Not sure I agree with the opinion on Innis being fixed. We know both him and Aneke are vulnerable if overplayed. 

Fingers crossed but history suggests that his minutes need managing. As Lavelle has not impressed, we do need to keep stability at the back.
    I didn’t say he’s “fixed”, but he’s certainly in the best shape physically and mentally that he’s been for a long time. I am sure he would say the very same thing if asked. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Inniss has really grown.
    Some guys get all the luck. He was the last person who needed this!
    Knew it as soon as I posted it…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Admittedly I’m always positive but I feel more justified this time.  

4-1 Addicks win, Tyreece, Jes, Inniss and a served goal for Jayden.  94th minute goal for the Dons.  
  • Options
    We need to exploit the oppositions woeful record of conceding goals when trying to play out from the back. If the coaches have been watching the videos we should be pressing them on the edge of their box
    It’s a shame Leaburn is injured as he is much better than Stockley at pressing from the front. Campbell did well on Saturday but I’d still change it and go with Payne on the right, Kirk the left and JRS through the middle like we were second half on Saturday 
  • Options
    0-9 to francise
  • Options
    These are the sorts of games we always lose.

However I really cannot see how a tin pot franchisee club like MKDons is going to leave The Valley with anything more than a humiliating pounding and with their tails between their legs.

4-0 Charlton. Our promotion party starts to move into full swing. Up the Addicks.

• Options
    3-0 Addicks!
  • Options
    Seen a few saying this is an easy game and already looking forward to Ipswich … but this is a tougher game of the two reason is simple for once the pressure all on us we are fav for this game and it will be up to us to do all the running and break them down … 

Team news after Saturday I don’t think we will rush CBT back could be on the bench , so expect unchanged 

• Options
    Can see maybe Inniss and Fraser being rested to the bench for this one.
  • Options
    It feels good to be interested again!

This one might require patients, like the Forest green game they will be happy with a point.  Maybe one for Aneke to start?  Seen as they’ll sit back and we’ll have time to swing crosses in.  I think we will have just enough and it won’t be pretty.

2-1 us.
  • Options
    Seen a few saying this is an easy game and already looking forward to Ipswich … but this is a tougher game of the two 

Are you absolutely sure about that?
  • Options
    First and foremost, this is a must win game. Losing or drawing this one would be a big set back of what has been achieved over the past few games so securing the 3 points and maintaining the winning run is the minimum we need from this match. That MK Dons are bottom of the league and on a 5 game losing streak is an opportunity we should be grabbing and going out to get a statement score to give our next opponents something to worry about and if Ipswich then think we are able to punish teams they will be less likely to venture forward on Saturday as much as they might have done otherwise.