Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v MK Dons | Tuesday 25 October 2022

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    God awful game from start to finish. They deserved it on the night but thanks to two glaring mistakes from the referee who couldn't get his arm out quick enough to award that penalty or free kick.

He was for ever given the fouls for just falling over. He was conned and i hope he watches his performance back and admits to it.

Saying that we never attacked with any fluidity or purpose and one corner in a match says it all. 

Just hope this one is out of the system, Ipswich are more agile and will easily win on Saturday.
  • Options
    The highlight of the evening for me was hearing MK fans singing a song (can't remember which one) about their history. They must have been singing about the Robinson era  :D.
    Their recent history in the FA Cup is better than ours.....they won it in 1988.
  • Options
    As most have said the result is typical Charlton. We all knew it was very likely ! 
    Yes the ref messed up with the penalty, also I dont think it would even be a card for Innis let alone a red. If that was a foul so was the one on Egbo just before it. That all said they were the better team. When a team packs the defence like they did there is absolutely no point in playing Stockley he just isnt mobile enough ( anything over a brisk walk he looks like he is in treacle ) and doesnt have the guile or skill to create an opening it tight spaces. 
    Bad night but move on ! 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Garner very level headed in his analysis, couple of digs at the ref though.
    Sticking to his story like a tory politician
    Total refusal to accept he hamstrung the team from the start, has barely a plan A and nothing like a plan B, then fucked it up royally 2nd half:

Sean Clare is not really a full back, he's definitely not left sided - so Garner hangs him out to dry at left back
    Sean Clare is allowed all the possession he wants by Dons cos they can see he's impotent at left back - Garner has a proper full back on the field in Egbo and Clare has acquitted himself at right back previously but Garner's plan is the best innit?  It's obvious Garner's plan ain't troubling the Dons but he sticks with it.
    Charlie Kirk has offered naff all ever, on the left but shows far better more centrally - so 2nd half he's posted out left
    Jack Payne has managed one cross in all his time in red and is as hopelessly one footed as many of his colleagues, he's never been a winger so Garner snuffs out the tiny chance this midget makeweight could provide anything positive by shoving him out on the right, never once playing the wider players on their natural sides - against a team that's parked the bus
    Jes Rak-Sakyi was worrying the dons on the right in the first half - so Garner moves him central to accommodate the inept Payne on the right

Inniss concedes a typically needless booking early 2nd half and goes to pieces, giving the ball away with every touch.  But with a CH on the bench, or even Clare as an alternative at the back, Garner leaves Inniss on for the inevitable second booking.  The penalty might have been debatable but Inniss's departure was beyond doubt.

Still no JFC in the matchday squad - McGrandles is a Sunday pub team reserve player at best, the ball bounced off him repeatedly yesterday he never got near a white shirt but "JFC's non-selection is on merit"  lying bastard.

Garner "the penalty changes the game" That has to be a flat out lie, if Garner believes any bit of that at all he's a moron.  He set us up to fail against the worst team in the division.
    Dons parked the bus.  Beating them wouldn't necessarily be easy but losing to them is a disgrace.  Lying about how that was achieved is reprehensible.

The jury's in on Garner - he's an overpromoted delusional clown.

Send out a team with that many square pegs in round holes against Ipswich and they'll rack up a record score - that will be painful but it will at least prod Skintgaard into action.
    We're up the shittiest of shitty creeks, in a leaky tub with no paddles, no rudder and a deluded ninny standing up in the middle telling us it's not him rocking the boat.

See y'all Saturday FFS
    I’d love to be able to line and lol that at the same time. Brilliant. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The most frustrating thing for me was that Garner didn’t swop Clare for Sessegnon at HT.

Everyone in the stadium could see that Clare was hugely out of place at left back and killing every attack down the left.
    Au contraire Mon ami, according to a fellow poster a few posts ago, Clare won MOM in the lounge.   I can only assume that said loungees had availed themselves freely of the hospitality before the game. An astonishing decision.  
    No idea how he got it, he did look thoroughly miserable and dejected and I think was very aware of how poorly he and the team had played. He did at least have a smile on his face for the kids that wanted pictures and programmes signing, it made their day.
    He must have taken his mask off and the kids thought he was someone else!   Seriously though, he is a good lad and a solid player. But he will never in a month of Sundays be a left back. Hung out to dry poor sod. 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    The idea that the reason for Stockley's poor form is that we're not playing to his strengths is a myth. Every time a cross has been put on his head this season he has fluffed it or headed straight at the keeper. Last night Kirk put in a perfect ball for Stockley to slide in at the back post and he just strolled in and made no attempt to tap the ball in.

His lack of ability to win a header, inability to do anything with the ball at his feet, inability to run, and generally awful positioning is the reason he has been so poor, not the system (which by the way has been changed to the system that allegedly suits him and was going to make him  the excellent League One striker that he's never actually been). 

Calling him the Posh Paul Benson would be overly polite. 
    At least Paul Benson scored occasionally.......
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Smithy said:
    The idea that the reason for Stockley's poor form is that we're not playing to his strengths is a myth. Every time a cross has been put on his head this season he has fluffed it or headed straight at the keeper. Last night Kirk put in a perfect ball for Stockley to slide in at the back post and he just strolled in and made no attempt to tap the ball in.

His lack of ability to win a header, inability to do anything with the ball at his feet, inability to run, and generally awful positioning is the reason he has been so poor, not the system (which by the way has been changed to the system that allegedly suits him and was going to make him  the excellent League One striker that he's never actually been). 

Calling him the Posh Paul Benson would be overly polite. 
    At least Paul Benson scored occasionally.......
    Very true. I’ll amend it to ‘The Posh Pawel Abbott’.
  • Options
    You are NOT denying a goal scoring chance because it is a penalty so it’s not red. Only outside the box it is red for denying a goal scoring chance. In box its yellow if you pulll him back or deliberately trip him. A red card for a foul is for using excessive force or violent conduct. In or outside the box 
    How many yellow cards do you seen given for that challenge.
    the challenge on egbo very similar not even given as a foul the referees have been told to let more physical challengers go this season. They were both the same in my eyes. 
    If you are saying that’s a yellow card there should be a yellow card given out on every corner. 
    Respectfully I don't think that's correct 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think our players got off lightly last night. 

Sheff Wed have just drawn at home to Bristol Rovers after taking the lead. Loud boos at the final whistle which I can only assume was because they didnt beat a mid table team after taking the lead.

Said mid table team had managed a draw against the table toppers Plymouth on Saturday after going 2-0 down.....so have form for comebacks against better teams. Also their keeper was given MOTM  for some spectacular saves, so its not like Sheff Wed didnt create anything (oh for seeing an opposition keeper having to make a worldy). 

So I wonder what the SW fans would have made of last night if they had lost 2-0 to the worst team in the division, who had lost 5 on the trot, and then seen their team make the opposition keeper make just 1 save all night.. 

Sack cloth & ashes should be the order of the day down at Sparrows Lane. 
  • Options
    I think our players got off lightly last night. 

Sheff Wed have just drawn at home to Bristol Rovers after taking the lead. Loud boos at the final whistle which I can only assume was because they didnt beat a mid table team after taking the lead.

Said mid table team had managed a draw against the table toppers Plymouth on Saturday after going 2-0 down.....so have form for comebacks against better teams. Also their keeper was given MOTM  for some spectacular saves, so its not like Sheff Wed didnt create anything (oh for seeing an opposition keeper having to make a worldy). 

So I wonder what the SW fans would have made of last night if they had lost 2-0 to the worst team in the division, who had lost 5 on the trot, and then seen their team make the opposition keeper make just 1 save all night.. 

Sack cloth & ashes should be the order of the day down at Sparrows Lane. 
    We’d won the previous three games. Context is all. If we’d lost them, the 6,000 present would have booed the team off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wondered the difference between our attacking play for this an last season so this is how we stand after 16 League games:

21/22: Goals 21    Shots on 66, Shots off 122, Hit post/bar 2 total shots 190
    22/23           23                   66                123                      1                   190

Spooky!!!
  • Options
    I’ve been told that Stockley only touched the ball 10 times during his time on the pitch.😕
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Total refusal to accept he hamstrung the team from the start, has barely a plan A and nothing like a plan B, then fucked it up royally 2nd half:

Sean Clare is not really a full back, he's definitely not left sided - so Garner hangs him out to dry at left back
    Sean Clare is allowed all the possession he wants by Dons cos they can see he's impotent at left back - Garner has a proper full back on the field in Egbo and Clare has acquitted himself at right back previously but Garner's plan is the best innit?  It's obvious Garner's plan ain't troubling the Dons but he sticks with it.
    Charlie Kirk has offered naff all ever, on the left but shows far better more centrally - so 2nd half he's posted out left
    Jack Payne has managed one cross in all his time in red and is as hopelessly one footed as many of his colleagues, he's never been a winger so Garner snuffs out the tiny chance this midget makeweight could provide anything positive by shoving him out on the right, never once playing the wider players on their natural sides - against a team that's parked the bus
    Jes Rak-Sakyi was worrying the dons on the right in the first half - so Garner moves him central to accommodate the inept Payne on the right

Inniss concedes a typically needless booking early 2nd half and goes to pieces, giving the ball away with every touch.  But with a CH on the bench, or even Clare as an alternative at the back, Garner leaves Inniss on for the inevitable second booking.  The penalty might have been debatable but Inniss's departure was beyond doubt.

Still no JFC in the matchday squad - McGrandles is a Sunday pub team reserve player at best, the ball bounced off him repeatedly yesterday he never got near a white shirt but "JFC's non-selection is on merit"  lying bastard.

Garner "the penalty changes the game" That has to be a flat out lie, if Garner believes any bit of that at all he's a moron.  He set us up to fail against the worst team in the division.
    Dons parked the bus.  Beating them wouldn't necessarily be easy but losing to them is a disgrace.  Lying about how that was achieved is reprehensible.

Send out a team with that many square pegs in round holes against Ipswich and they'll rack up a record score - that will be painful but it will at least prod Skintgaard into action.
    We're up the shittiest of shitty creeks, in a leaky tub with no paddles, no rudder and a deluded ninny standing up in the middle telling us it's not him rocking the boat.

See y'all Saturday FFS
    Can you please type these unhinged rants into a word document entitled MY THOUGHTS next time and spare us all 
    nobody makes anybody read this
    it's your own time
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

See y'all Saturday FFS
    I’d love to be able to line and lol that at the same time. Brilliant. 
    You're welcome
    You should have seen the version that erupted Tuesday evening.  A few hours sleep and a mug of tea saved it from being totally NSFW
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JFC is left-footed isn't he? I'm sure he could do a more than decent job at left-back.
    He can’t play leagues games due to *checks notes* Skintgaard conspiracy 
  • Options
    I am probably alone but I miss Purrington.  Quality division 1 left back no frills and solid. 

Me too. At least he was a left back unlike everybody we’ve played there this season.

Also please stop this fannying around at the back tapping it back and forth.

I agree, I’m sick to death of watching sideways/backward/sideways/sideways oooops we’ve lost possession 20 yards from goal. We’re 3rd division Charlton FFS, not bloody Barcelona.

• Options
    I am probably alone but I miss Purrington.  Quality division 1 left back no frills and solid. 

Me too. At least he was a left back unlike everybody we’ve played there this season.

Also please stop this fannying around at the back tapping it back and forth.

I agree, I’m sick to death of watching sideways/backward/sideways/sideways oooops we’ve lost possession 20 yards from goal. We’re 3rd division Charlton FFS, not bloody Barcelona.

Most of us feel that way. Ever since Pep came over we now have this yank obsession with stats. 

Sick of watching it. On Tuesday the Don's never closed us down until we were on the halfway line. We still passed it back and forth amongst the back four even though there was no prospect of drawing them on. 

Just fed up with it.