Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v MK Dons | Tuesday 25 October 2022

Comments

• Options
    That was exceptionally poor from us but give credit to MK Dons. They came to do a job. They pressed, marked, worked hard, packed the defence and gave us no space. 

We didn't look like scoring, we didn't get a corner until the last 15 minutes. We usually get a draw out of these games but not tonight. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We are now ten points behind target. All the gain from Shrewsbury lost, and the situation even worse, and now no Innes for Saturday.
    Milton Keynes deserved their win despite the poxy penalty decision.
    Poor referee.
    Only Fraser and Campbell come out with any credit, poor all over the pitch.
    Very disappointed indeed, especially as I got my Stevenage ticket before the game, and we are very likely going to lose that cup tie.
    Take it back for a refund.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Why anyone would clap Innis off is beyond me. Get rid of him ffs, gave the ball away twice under no pressure whatsoever and then rightly gets sent off. 
    I don’t know if you’ve played to a decent standard of football before, but both were professional fouls. The latter was outside of the box and wasn’t a penalty, but if I’m playing with Innis, he hasn’t done wrong at either scenario. 
  • Options
    Why are we not playing Clare at full back rather than Egbo - who did not cross the ball at all tonight - he got in some good positions but always passed the ball backwards- when he did try to go forward with the ball he lost it - one which led to the penalty - Clare is far better fall back and can put some good crosses in as well.  Clare is not a left back. 
  • Options
    Clare at LB was disastrous (not his fault) 
  • Options
    If anyone from Ipswich saw that tonight they must be licking their lips about Saturday!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Stockley a waste of a shirt tonight. I don't get the point of even playing him. We don't cross the ball, he doesn't drop off and link play, he's not mobile enough to press effectively... So what's the point? What role is he supposed to be performing for us? You might as well put someone up there who could at least chase defenders down.

Clare played it way too safe. There was a pass on down that left umpteen times and instead he turned back and chose the easy ball. Poor defending as well. 

I think that was the first time I've ever left a game early. Not even the worst performance I've seen, just feels like we're still going nowhere in this shite league. 
  • Options
    That was utter shit
  • Options
    Stockley offers nothing, it really is embarrassing 
    And yet, if I’m not mistaken, he has been getting some very respectable players marks for the last few games. 
    Stockley offers nothing, it really is embarrassing 
    And yet, if I’m not mistaken, he has been getting some very respectable players marks for the last few games. 
    Yes , from his Mum!!
  • Options
    highlight was seeing a 38 year old lewington outpace stockley after a ball from young Campbell, I knew he was slow, but not this slow. Would rather give kanu a game, may not be ready but at least he is mobile and will make runs 
  • Options
    And back to reality. Garner needs to share a fair bit of the blame tonight. Clear that Clare can’t play left back, he’s played Clayden and Chin there against better teams than mk. Innis can’t be relied upon. Kirk isn’t a 10. Camp bell’s clearly not ready. We haven’t created more than about half a dozen chances all season for Stockley who is our only striker. Should have stayed at home instead of a 200 mile round trip.
  • Options
    Well is there a single Charlton fan anywhere in the world who is surprised by that result? 

But whilst the result was disappointing, even more disappointing was our performance. Absolutely hopeless with just no bite up front at all.

A few random thoughts:-

1) I know Sessegnon is an exception to what I am going to say, but why the hell do we keep playing right footed players at left back? Clare was awful there tonight and he should never be asked to play there again. 

2) I'm not going to blame Inniss for the penalty - it was clearly outside the box - but if we are going to play a passing out game from the back he is totally unsuited for it. Every game he plays a couple of misplaced passes that put us in trouble. And his disciplinary record is awful. 

3) If Rak-Sakyi was our player, we would be screaming for him to be given a rest. He's got great potential no doubt but he's contributed next to nothing this last 2 games. Surely his loan deal doesn't require him to start every match? If not, put him on the subs bench for  a game or two.

Following Charlton is so frustrating. Just when you think we've cracked it, they put on a performance like that. But this being Charlton, I woudn't rule out a win on Saturday!
    Not in the previous two he didn't. Probably why we won lol.
    There's a chance that red card will be overturned.
    We've all been purring about how our defence is settled and looking solid, so surprised BG rested Sess. Guess he must have needed it, but it didn't help. 
    we would be screaming for him to be given a rest.  I wouldn't be, unless he's knackered. Our only threat tonight.
    Following Charlton is so frustrating.  Yes :-{
    But this being Charlton, I wouldn't rule out a win on Saturday!  With Sess and CBT you never know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think it’s a penalty, the foul is clearly outside the area. 

For free kicks, a very wise man always said that you’ve got to stick a player on the post and they don’t score
  • Options
    That was utter shite. 
    No wonder punters are not paying to watch us. 
    Stockley is a waste of time
    Kirk drifts in and out of games. 
    Time for a shake up, and give some new faces a try. 
  • Options
    I wasn't there but the same themes remain 

Innis has a bad temperament
    Clare isn't a left back
    Mcgrandles looks poor, Albie isn't up to it
    Stockley needs dropping because he can't press, or score, in this system

We needed a left back and forward in the transfer window.

I'm not a footballing genius but SURELY Garner has seen previously Clare can't play left back?!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I wasn't there but the same themes remain 

Innis has a bad temperament
    Clare isn't a left back
    Mcgrandles looks poor, Albie isn't up to it
    Stockley needs dropping because he can't press, or score, in this system

We needed a left back and forward in the transfer window.

I'm not a footballing genius but SURELY Garner has seen previously Clare can't play left back?!

I'm sure he has but he didn't really have much of a choice.

Although maybe considering how the first half was panning out, with MK sitting deep, it might have made sense to actually switch Fraser and Clare round so we could have utilised Fraser's left foot in all that space to get balls in the box and link up better with Campbell.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Why anyone would clap Innis off is beyond me. Get rid of him ffs, gave the ball away twice under no pressure whatsoever and then rightly gets sent off. 

Harsh foul, harsh yellow, harsh pen, that's why he was clapped.
    Looked a clear foul, clear yellow, perhaps on the pen, depends if the ref lets play carry on and Innis then fouls him in the box, too.  That's two sendings off in a few games, both for two yellows.  He needs to be smarter after the first yellow.
  • Options
    This is what I said before the game:

Not quite the same set-up yet as the "thirteen wins on the bounce, let's lose 0-1 with an own goal" situation v Swindon, but hosting the bottom team after some impressive performances has banana skin written all over it.

So fingers crossed for a professional job, no stupid bookings or sendings off, ...

So I'm going to be doing the lottery tonight for the first time ever.