Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v MK Dons | Tuesday 25 October 2022

Comments

• Options
    I feared this result and MK Dons played as expected and there was no room in our final third. The only player who looked like he might do something was JRS who ran at them. We will be critical of our midfield but they had to produce inch perfect balls and the ball behind was not on. I think we could have gone three at the back before the sending off. In a game like that O'Connell and Inniss are just extra passes. Clare offensivley is a dead loss at left back as every ball he has to stop and cut in or pass back so he actually stifled moves playing in that position. CBT plays and it creates space as defenders have to stand off him.

We can argue the penalty wasn't a foul or at least in the area but MKDons deserved that result to be fair. I would have liked to see Aneke come on for the second half and play with Stockley. It shows a big thing holding us back that Garner can't do this. If I was advising Ipswich, I would say set up like MKDons, but they will probably be more open and try to beat us and we will have CBT back, hopefully, and start Sessengnon on the left so I think we have a decent chance.
    Disagree. Thought Tyreece Campbell was the other of our best two first half.
  • Options
    Stockley has lost confidence. He is just not getting to balls he did last season. He is trying of course but there is more now, I think I have to get there or jump now rather than that drive we have seen from him. He needs a goal or two and a strike partner who can occupy defences more which will give him a bit more leeway.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson getting 7s and more in player marks shows just how much bias our fanbase has.

He was shite bar one tackle.
    Worst I've seen him play I think 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Why anyone would clap Innis off is beyond me. Get rid of him ffs, gave the ball away twice under no pressure whatsoever and then rightly gets sent off. 

To be honest even if it's outside the box Inniss gets a second yellow and we lose the game anyway. 
    Not necessarily by any means.🤔
  • Options
    These are the games we always look back on as where it went wrong. Huge point loss this.
  • Options
    Someone cheer me up...Anyone got a photo of an unknown and extremely well dressed person sitting in the director's box taking notes on the team and surrounds?
  • Options
    We (the fans) absolutely love losing. Everyone in their element again tonight.

Are we back relegation fodder yet?

We were outplayed tactically. They weren’t scoring until the penalty. 

If we’re blaming anyone for the mistake the man Egbo going on a mad run is my shout. 

We all know Innis has one brain cell than just tells him to smash
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I feared this result and MK Dons played as expected and there was no room in our final third. The only player who looked like he might do something was JRS who ran at them. We will be critical of our midfield but they had to produce inch perfect balls and the ball behind was not on. I think we could have gone three at the back before the sending off. In a game like that O'Connell and Inniss are just extra passes. Clare offensivley is a dead loss at left back as every ball he has to stop and cut in or pass back so he actually stifled moves playing in that position. CBT plays and it creates space as defenders have to stand off him.

We can argue the penalty wasn't a foul or at least in the area but MKDons deserved that result to be fair. I would have liked to see Aneke come on for the second half and play with Stockley. It shows a big thing holding us back that Garner can't do this. If I was advising Ipswich, I would say set up like MKDons, but they will probably be more open and try to beat us and we will have CBT back, hopefully, and start Sessengnon on the left so I think we have a decent chance.
    He is young and a good prospect but he was bullied a bit for me and didn't go through or get behind them enough. He didn't have a poor game but CBT would have been more dangerous IMO.
  • Options
    And by the way, 2 teams just above us who we would have gone above if we had won (and they lost) came back from going a goal down to win. 

How do other teams do it but we dont 

Argh !!!!!
  • Options
    In parts I thought we played well, RI same old same old, geezer is a headcase and too inconsistent to be part of a promotion chasing team.
  • Options
    Very poor display - we created next to nothing. MK Dons deserved the win.

We have a team of journeymen who looked mid table tonight.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He is young and a good prospect but he was bullied a bit for me and didn't go through or get behind them enough. He didn't have a poor game but CBT would have been more dangerous IMO.
    Oh I agree with that. 
  • Options
    PWR.

Shower of sh*t from us scarcely describes it.

Their goalkeeper had to make one easy save only in 90 minutes plus added time.

Added to that we have lost Inniss for at least one match because of the penalty that wasn't. Furthermore without the penalty that wasn't we might have scraped a point despite our attacking impotence that I have already mentioned.

Mind you it was fairly predictable and I just hope we can bounce back against Ipswich on Saturday and show some kind of potent attacking intent.

Waste of £10 according to Mrs G that I could have given to her!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson getting 7s and more in player marks shows just how much bias our fanbase has.

He was shite bar one tackle.
    Worst I've seen him play I think 
    Doesn't like playing MK Dons does he.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And by the way, 2 teams just above us who we would have gone above if we had won (and they lost) came back from going a goal down to win. 

How do other teams do it but we dont 

Argh !!!!!
    Owners that buy players and loan players.
  • Options
    Probably puts our squad limits in sharp perspective. We don't have a natural left back, it was certainly a risk playing Innis and Campbell and MK Dons just sat there. Expect more teams to come to the Valley and do the same, we don't have a goal scorer, we don't play a style that suits the only one we have, and the rock of a centre back will at some time be suspended or injured for a period of time. Bubble officially burst, interesting team selection on Saturday, Clare centre back?
  • Options
    Hopeless Innis, get rid total liability slowest defender around.
    Hopeless ref.
    Hopeless substitutions (Innis should have been subbed after first yellow)
    Hopeless Stockley , other than moan what did he do all night.

That was a gutless performance from half the team, far too weak for league one.
  • Options
    Well is there a single Charlton fan anywhere in the world who is surprised by that result? 

But whilst the result was disappointing, even more disappointing was our performance. Absolutely hopeless with just no bite up front at all.

A few random thoughts:-

1) I know Sessegnon is an exception to what I am going to say, but why the hell do we keep playing right footed players at left back? Clare was awful there tonight and he should never be asked to play there again. 

2) I'm not going to blame Inniss for the penalty - it was clearly outside the box - but if we are going to play a passing out game from the back he is totally unsuited for it. Every game he plays a couple of misplaced passes that put us in trouble. And his disciplinary record is awful. 

3) If Rak-Sakyi was our player, we would be screaming for him to be given a rest. He's got great potential no doubt but he's contributed next to nothing this last 2 games. Surely his loan deal doesn't require him to start every match? If not, put him on the subs bench for  a game or two.

Following Charlton is so frustrating. Just when you think we've cracked it, they put on a performance like that. But this being Charlton, I woudn't rule out a win on Saturday!
  • Options
    The game I was expecting and the game we got , but if MK have to con and cheat to get 3 points then that club have gone a slippery slope .. 
    11 behind the ball at all times only using our mistakes to attack on the odd occasion .. then the fallling over conning the ref getting the game stopped every chance they got .. fouling our players anytime we looked dangerous time wasting etc etc but the ref was to poor to spot it .. then games like this turn on a poor ref decision.. pen was outside the box and first foul on Inniss ..

That’s 4 wins 2 draws in their last 6 visits to the valley clearly a lucky ground for them 

we move on to Saturday when I think better chance to win because Ipswich will come and play 

Maybe. But we won the one that really counted in the papa john Trophy last season.
  • Options
    Terrible game.

Typical Charlton to lose that, as most had predicted here! We just didn’t get going…

JRS, stockley and innis had very poor games- Clare was so out of place, he hindered out play this constant slowing down the game when in possession didn’t help).

just when you start to get excited by a Charlton team, they hit you with this shit, and will no doubt play trash come Saturday. There’s a reason we find ourselves mid table and with bare minimum crowds.

can’t put a run of games together!

innis harshly sent off, and the pen, but should never have been in the position to put that tackle in let alone his constantly lapse in concentration to give wayward passes. 

Rak-sakyi, Clare and Stockley NEED to be benched on Saturday. Start fresher and with a point to prove, JSR and stockley can come on halfway through.