Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v MK Dons | Tuesday 25 October 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    To be fair to MKD, they played us near perfectly.  If other teams watch the video of that game and set themselves up to play the same game, in the words of private Fraser, we're doomed.
  • Options
    Wasnt planning a wembley day out after the previous 3 games and wont be checking the league2 table after last night either. 

We looked good at times, had a fair few attacks but, just couldnt breakdown MK dons defence, they did a proper away job last night, defended deep and broke well. We just couldnt find any real quality to come out on top, best effort came from the ref helping us out. We slowed play down far too much when building an attack, a lot of that was down to Clare who should never play at LB again, there was a moment in the first half where Campbell (who had a decent game) looked for a give and go ball over the top, instead Clare decided to.... yeah, roll it back to O`connell.

They looked more threatening when through on goal, they looked liked the team that just won 3 on the bounce, no it wasnt a pen, but it was a foul even outside the area and a second yellow, we still would have lost that as a result.

7 shots, 1 on target.

Campbell impressed. 

Meh, typical Charlton game.
  • Options
    Not sure why people are saying about when we went down to ten men, we started the game 10 v 11. Jayden Stockley is the worst number 9 we have ever had, at this level at the very least. All this stuff about we don’t play to his strengths? Bloke doesn’t win a header when it is crossed in. He’s slow, he moans, has no technical ability, can’t pass, doesn’t make runs (odd time he does too slow). We should have bit Sheffield Wednesdays hands off for whatever they offered if they did. I am genuinely sick of watching him. 2 goals in 16 games! 20 goal a season striker my arse. I’d rather JRS, Kirk and DJ start up top, at least we would have pace across the forwards.

anyone other than Stockley being absolutely useless, 

I felt Innis was having a mare before the sending off and the MK Dons players knew it and targeted him. He made at least 2 huge errors before the red. Clare was a waste of space on the left, slowed down all our play, Campbell was weak, Kirk ran a lot but offered nothing, a winger that can’t beat a man to save his life. 

Fraser was immense, MK couldn’t get near him, he is turning into our best player imo. Dobbo did ok, some pretty crap passing at times, his tackle was the highlight of the game. Also thought Egbo and O’Connell had decent games. 

For our starting XI JoJo, Sess, O’Connell, Egbo, Fraser, Dobbo, JRS and CBT I feel are good enough, really not sure about the rest of them.

predictable result, on to Ipswich 
    Agree. Stockley is utter crap.
  • Options
    Still pissed off this morning … MK Dons would still not have scored if it had not been for two very poor ref calls last night very disappointing and not the first time poor ref decision has cost us points !!! 
  • Options
    Er, I think we did…
  • Options
    It was all on the Manager last night. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MKDons defended well.

Innis was diabolical all night.

Most were off their game.

Kirk and Stockley upfront offer nothing. Why not give Kanu a chance.

Ref was decent most of the game but having seen the pictures he got the penalty wrong and the free kick for the second was soft. That said, managers moaning at refs is a pet hate of mine and listening to Terry and Ben whinge away in that interview above is painful.

We are an average L1 team and that is where we sit.

Clare is not a LB and should not be tried again.

The Directors box was full again.  Please let a prospective owner turn up asap.
    I agree, and don't want to be blaming the ref for a game we deserved to lose, but he let a fair few  fouls on our wingers go completely unpunished. Wasn't a penalty, but probably a second yellow, which would have ended any faint chance of a win.
    I think we all saw Clare was a problem, so Garner saw it, and obviously felt we had no options on the bench. He wanted to establish Sessignon, and we had no left back to cover.
    Against a side set up like MKD, we needed pace and guile, but when playersvran onto space, they were ignored (or Clare had the ball on the wrong foot).
    Rotten night.
  • Options
    Innis is always a worry when hes on a yellow but last night was shocking refereeing. For me, no foul and 100% outside the box. He didnt play well and done his best to gift them a goal or 2 before the "foul". 

Clare is horrifically negative...always going back, needs to be braver and go for the positive pass. 

We lost and now we need to make sure we dont let Ipswich have there way with us, 

Ref Stockley, he might not be clever on the floor but lets be honest, we arent trying to stick it on his head are we!  
  • Options
    The Inniss debate is pretty simple in my eyes. He costs us more points with his ‘red mist’ moments than he gains us with his good defending. An average of over 4 red cards across the course of a season is unacceptable. He’s a liability. Maybe it would be forgiven if he was exceptional every time he plays but he’d already tried to gift MK two goals with his horrific passing by time he got sent off.

And he’s never gonna stop with his stupid yellows and reds if every time he’s sent off he gets applauded down the tunnel.
    He was only applauded down the tunnel because it clearly wasn’t a penalty, and it was outside the box anyway. Yes, he gave away the ball twice, each one of which could have led to goals. 
    There seemed to be a reluctance to hoof it long when under pressure yesterday, which I thought we had been less worried about for the last few games.
    I thought the consensus was that he was looking very solid recently which, given his size and aerial threat, makes him a very decent defender at this level. I’m not sure yesterday’s performance would deem him a write-off, after his last three performances. Especially considering we don’t really have an obvious proven replacement. 
  • Options
    A missed opportunity and as many of us feared a predictable Charlton outcome. Still feel more optimistic about the Ipswich game on Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I don't think it is fair to be too hard on Garner. He had some real issues to deal with, no left back, no CBT against a team that were always going to deprive us of space. I thought before the game it wouldn't be great and would be a case of chipping away and waiting for a bottom team to make an error. A corner or two in the first half would have helped but we couldn't even get that. JRS wasn't great but he was the only player who could get through them and potentially behind them so it was just a case of playing in front of them which is much easier to defend against.

We have seen enough games this season to know that when a team deprives us of space that we struggle. We like open games. It is frankly ridiculous that our only striking option yesterday was Aneke and we can only give him 20 minutes! Says all you need to know really. I think we will show better against Ipswich as they will try to beat us. A lot will depend on how good they are on the day.

What I will criticise Garner for was the fact that Clare was inhibiting our attacks slowing everything down because he hasn't got a left foot. That should have been addressed. Surely it was obvious, but Oh Ah Mortimer reckons he got MOTM in the lounge so maybe it wasn't so obvious. I am not having a go at him, but he can't play there when you are looking to attack a side like MKDons at home.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think we all expected this result this is Charlton it don’t change. 
    Can’t blame innis there for the sending off  it’s poor From the referee his totally messed up. Unless there’s been a rule change this season I quit referring this season so haven’t seen law changes. 
    Firstly his come out with a totally different decision with the challenge on egbo to the challenge by innis within a minute off each other which look similar challenges. So you got to question consistency. 
    Then his gave the decision in the box when it was outside. By giving the penalty you do not give a yellow card unless there is no genuine attempt to win the ball. IE you pull the player back or intentionally trip him with no attempt to win the ball. This was brought in to stop a double punishment of a penalty and a sending off. So it should just be a penalty no card unless that rule was changed again this season or the referee thought innis was pulling him back. 
    If he thinks he is pulling him back this could explain why his gave the penalty because if you start pulling a player from outside the box and it continues into the box you give a penalty even though it started outside the box. 
    From replays I can’t see a pull or a trip it’s a coming together and if anything is initiated by the m k dons player. 
    I think the ref got it wrong in my opinion.
    I think it's still a yellow if ref concludes it was an attempt to play the ball (to avoid double jeopardy), it just happens to have been his second one.  If judged outside the area it would likely have been a straight red if ruled a clear goalscoring opportunity.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    1StevieG said:
    Why anyone would clap Innis off is beyond me. Get rid of him ffs, gave the ball away twice under no pressure whatsoever and then rightly gets sent off. 

Harsh foul, harsh yellow, harsh pen, that's why he was clapped.
    Easy second yellow and a free kick.
    But not a pen! Why didn't we get a free kick 10 seconds earlier
    Agreed, the incidents were very similar; one is not even worth a second look apparently, the other changes the game massively.

Was Innis' first yellow deserved, in the light of what we saw let go later? 

We were poor, but to get done like that sticks in the craw. Say what you like, the ref fucked up.     
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clare and Stockley were playing walking football last night. That left me more angry than anything. 

Chin shows the intent and industry that the Senior Pro should have yesterday. Yes - both out of position still.

We can only compete if everybody is fit. Else the imbalanced squad shows as it can't stand up!
  • Options
    64% possession and we hardly made it into the final third. 

One shot at goal and one solitary corner - to which the newly injected Morgan totally screwed up - in fact did he complete any passes after replacing our best player? 

Love to believe that was a bad day at the office, but in my heart of hearts, we just don't cut the mustard.
     He completed the majority of his passes. 

We looked miles away from what we have for the past three. We looked disorganised and shaky from the start. 

Our unbeaten home run had to end at some point and we are famously good at ending other teams losing streaks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    But @MuttleyCAFC we had a perfectly good LB on the bench in Sessegnon. Why didn’t we start him with a plan to withdraw him after first half if he couldn’t last whole game? At least we’d have kept the stability and had the chance to begin the match on the front foot. That was Garner’s decision. 
    I am assuming he was considered not fit enough to start. I don't know of course. There may have been an element of not risking players for Ipswich thinking we could get away with it against MKDons.
  • Options
    Stockley offers nothing, it really is embarrassing 
    And yet, if I’m not mistaken, he has been getting some very respectable players marks for the last few games. 
    Has had me stumped. It's the CL bias at work like it is with Dobson for this game.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    JonT_Abs said:
    Clare at LB was disastrous (not his fault) 
    It kind of was his fault. He put in next to no effort. Fraser and Campbell had to track back to fill in for him jogging back multiple times.
  • Options
    Charlton life after Portsmouth. Innis is a rock, growing into the team etc

charlton life after Milton Keynes. Innis is a liability and should never play again 
    He's definitely not a liability, he made 3 poor passes, but won many headers and it's a 50/50 as to whether the complete non penalty was even a foul. 
  • Options
    Sean Claire is a good player, he is not a however a left back, I’ve still got Ipswich away in my head , if they play anything like that level on Saturday, we are in big trouble.
  • Options
    Wasnt planning a wembley day out after the previous 3 games and wont be checking the league2 table after last night either. 

We looked good at times, had a fair few attacks but, just couldnt breakdown MK dons defence, they did a proper away job last night, defended deep and broke well. We just couldnt find any real quality to come out on top, best effort came from the ref helping us out. We slowed play down far too much when building an attack, a lot of that was down to Clare who should never play at LB again, there was a moment in the first half where Campbell (who had a decent game) looked for a give and go ball over the top, instead Clare decided to.... yeah, roll it back to O`connell.

They looked more threatening when through on goal, they looked liked the team that just won 3 on the bounce, no it wasnt a pen, but it was a foul even outside the area and a second yellow, we still would have lost that as a result.

7 shots, 1 on target.

Campbell impressed. 

Meh, typical Charlton game.
    View from East stand -yes I saw that Clare incident as well, Campbell had space in front of him to run into and a chance to  make inroads.
     2nd half Egbo received 3-4 long range passes- but all were 2-3 yards behind him so he had to go back to control and lost  attacking momentum

Classic comment fro me " That fat no.14 looks like he should be playing vets football" ping 0-2
  • Options
    I think we all expected this result this is Charlton it don’t change. 
    Can’t blame innis there for the sending off  it’s poor From the referee his totally messed up. Unless there’s been a rule change this season I quit referring this season so haven’t seen law changes. 
    Firstly his come out with a totally different decision with the challenge on egbo to the challenge by innis within a minute off each other which look similar challenges. So you got to question consistency. 
    Then his gave the decision in the box when it was outside. By giving the penalty you do not give a yellow card unless there is no genuine attempt to win the ball. IE you pull the player back or intentionally trip him with no attempt to win the ball. This was brought in to stop a double punishment of a penalty and a sending off. So it should just be a penalty no card unless that rule was changed again this season or the referee thought innis was pulling him back. 
    If he thinks he is pulling him back this could explain why his gave the penalty because if you start pulling a player from outside the box and it continues into the box you give a penalty even though it started outside the box. 
    From replays I can’t see a pull or a trip it’s a coming together and if anything is initiated by the m k dons player. 
    I think the ref got it wrong in my opinion.
    Thanks for this, I couldn't articulate it at the time but it just didn't look right.