Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v MK Dons | Tuesday 25 October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Even their 21 (Harvie) seems to be showing a no action with his hands to the ref.
  • Options
    Hi Newyorknaddick 
    The law is you don’t get a yellow card inside the box if you make a genuine attempt to win the ball. So you only get a yellow if you pull the player back or intentionally trip him basically. 
    This was brought in to stop teams being punished twice. In having a player sent off and also conceding a goal. 
    So if you think that was a trip or he pulled him back then it’s a yellow but I can’t see a pull or trip personally. 
  • Options
    I have decided not to complain about refs in League One as it is our fault we are in this league and we have to put up with crap officials as a result. It is part of being this low.
    Its cute you think they're any better anywhere else.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Some are some aren't but I think you have more right to complain in the Championship and Premier League as these are the supposedly the cream.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Some are some aren't but I think you have more right to complain in the Championship and Premier League as these are the supposedly the cream.
    Because the Championship is part of the EFL, if one of those referees had a particularly shit weekend, they could be relegated to officiate a League Two game - Unsurprisingly Keith Stroud is an example of that...

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=885

e.g. Whilst our bloke last night has refereed a mix of League One | League Two games this season

https://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=2021
  • Options
    Comment after comment moaning about Stockley. And it's hard to defend his performance last night and I'm not going to try to.

BUT..

How many crosses did Campbell, Payne or Rak-Sakyi put in last night? I can think of one. It's not giving the bloke much of a chance, is it?

If Stockley calls in sick on Saturday, then whilst some might be glad to hear the news then I wonder how they will feel when our front 2 of Kirk and Rak-Sakyi trot out? That really would mean we don't win a header up front all afternoon.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2022
    It’s this kind of game that makes me unsure whether Ben Garner is the real deal or if he, basically, isn’t. In regards to this I said my reservations on the Portsmouth post match thread. Basically, that I was cautiously optimistic but I still wasn’t convinced of ‘Garnerball’. And this game sums up my reservations entirely. 

A couple of points that concern me. For a start deciding to switch Sessegnon for Clare concerned me from the start. Sessegnon is a good defender but also likes to go forward whereas Clare seems to be lacking confidence and always looks for the backwards/sideways pass. This blunted so many attacks on the left side. I’m sure Kirk was pulling his hair out. Doesn’t Garner see this in training! 

Secondly, the players are playing how they are instructed and, in general, this is in a very cautious way with a lack of creativity. I don’t believe it’s the ability of the players here. They are following direction presumably from Garner. What this leads to is a very transparent approach which is easy for the other team to contain and then overcome. This is what happened yesterday and was very similar to the Forest Green, Fleetwood and Lincoln games. In my opinion games we could have won with a more positive approach. Or at least have made a good fist of it. 
    So, my reservations with Ben Garner continue. I know we can’t win every game and that isn’t my expectation but I do expect us to play to the best of our ability in every game and I just don’t see or feel that. That is very frustrating and yesterday was a classic example. The ultra negative approach is what is doing us and where else would it come from apart from Garner. I hope he’s learning and can change and be more flexible but my doubts are that he can’t. I hope he proves me wrong but I’m starting to wonder. The positive feeling after the Shrewsbury game has gone and the frustrating thing is that it needn’t have been like this. 
    Is he the real deal just trying to find his way around things (a bit like Arteta if you like) or is this just the way he is? Only time will tell I suppose. 
  • Options
    If they were playing 5 at the back we needed a different system to break through and Stockley had no service hence his 12 touches of the ball in 72 minutes. I bet the balls boys get more on a Saturday.

MK did all that was needed. They were never great but were good enough. We just had no bite and despite having the ball, don't have ballers that can create chances, but they had brief opportunities but offered more of a threat. They allowed us to have the ball, in a belief that we'd do little with it and so it proved. 65% possession etc and 1 shot on target to thier 6 very good chances. Wollacott was the keeper working last night. MK are much better than their position in the league, but we may just be worse than our current position in the league.

We all want success, but with this squad, what is the realistic goal that is achievable. Ask a bookmaker, they right more often than fans and owners. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi Newyorknaddick 
    The law is you don’t get a yellow card inside the box if you make a genuine attempt to win the ball. So you only get a yellow if you pull the player back or intentionally trip him basically. 
    This was brought in to stop teams being punished twice. In having a player sent off and also conceding a goal. 
    So if you think that was a trip or he pulled him back then it’s a yellow but I can’t see a pull or trip personally. 
    The rule was changed to remove the automatic RED card, along with a penalty. 

Thus if you make a genuine attempt to get the ball, but foul an opponent, thus denying a goal scoring chance, it's a yellow card and a penalty, whereas if you for example pull his shirt (i.e. no attempt to get the ball) it's still a red card and a penalty.
  • Options
    I don’t know what’s up but it ain’t happening with stockley is it his positioning for crosses has changed his movements for when the crosses come on or is it the crosses aint going in to the right places for him.or is it both.whatever it is it’s not working. 
    I would have put Aneke on with stockley and just pumped the ball into the box with the way m k dons had everyone behind the ball we were never going to go through them. 
  • Options
    Comment after comment moaning about Stockley. And it's hard to defend his performance last night and I'm not going to try to.

BUT..

How many crosses did Campbell, Payne or Rak-Sakyi put in last night? I can think of one. It's not giving the bloke much of a chance, is it?

If Stockley calls in sick on Saturday, then whilst some might be glad to hear the news then I wonder how they will feel when our front 2 of Kirk and Rak-Sakyi trot out? That really would mean we don't win a header up front all afternoon.
    Stockley has hardly been winning any headers all season.
  • Options
    clive said:
    How is that Innis challenge even a foul let nevermind a bloody penalty. Bigger, stronger player and wins the shoulder to shoulder challenge.
    It wasnt shoulder to shoulder, as they reach the penalty area Inniss gives him a slight shove in the back. 

If it was down the Covered end on JRS we'd be screaming for a pen. 
  • Options
    Really disappointing from players and management last night. Fraser and Woolacott deserve credit, as perhaps does O’Connell, but the rest deserve a kick up the arse this morning, as does our management. I turned to my lad after Inniss’ two sloppy passes early in the second half and said, he is another accident waiting to happen tonight. Ben needed to be brave and sub Thomas for Inniss, but nope, persevered and all the accidents (pen or NOT) arrived minutes later. Game gone from then on. Stockley dreadful for most of last nights game. Does he fear sliding on the floor..? One cross was so sweet if only we had a braver forward.
  • Options
    Hi Newyorknaddick 
    The rule was changed to remove the automatic RED card, along with a penalty. 

Thus if you make a genuine attempt to get the ball, but foul an opponent, thus denying a goal scoring chance, it's a yellow card and a penalty, whereas if you for example pull his shirt (i.e. no attempt to get the ball) it's still a red card and a penalty.
    I agree, unfortunately for Inniss it was his second yellow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And the ref?

One of those who knows the rules but not the subtleties of the game particularly in terms of gamesmanship.

In the first half their player ran through, was fouled and the ref played on. He then pulled it back. That’s fine but then he needed to do it consistently, which he didn’t.

He missed a lot of the less obvious fouls which was frustrating but we need to be smarter in those situations.
    I thought the ref was appalling, and it was interesting that he let almost all the fouls go on Campbell, Egbo and Rak-Sakyi. I think he was worse than inconsistent and at the very least needs to do some unconscious bias training. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    After watching Stockley get outpaced by a 38-year-old Lewington last night, can you name a slower striker in league football?
  • Options
    But while the ref had my normally calm daughter wanting to key his car, we lost that by being useless. One of the direst games I've seen. 
  • Options
    You are NOT denying a goal scoring chance because it is a penalty so it’s not red. Only outside the box it is red for denying a goal scoring chance. In box its yellow if you pulll him back or deliberately trip him. A red card for a foul is for using excessive force or violent conduct. In or outside the box 
    How many yellow cards do you seen given for that challenge.
    the challenge on egbo very similar not even given as a foul the referees have been told to let more physical challengers go this season. They were both the same in my eyes. 
    If you are saying that’s a yellow card there should be a yellow card given out on every corner. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    You can complain as much as you like about the ref but in the end the stats dont lie.

1 shot on target during the whole match. 

The penalty incident / sending off is just masking what we need to focus on. We didnt do enough to win the game. End of. 
    Stats dont give proper representation of a game either

Kirk's cross wasn't a shot, but it needed a tap in from either Payne or Stockley had they made more effort - Same with Campbell's effort, it wasn't on target but only narrowly went the wrong side of the post.

Talking about the single shot on target is just as pointless as those two efforts mentioned, as none of them ended in the back of the net

You're right though, we didnt do enough to win the game, but then by right it should have ended in a draw.
  • Options
    Trying to take Lord Curbs' advice and not let the downs get too down. Yes it was a bad game but it was one bad game after a string of good ones, perhaps the average is actually in the middle but I genuinely don't think we'll play as badly as that very often.

I'm a Garner fan but no denying he did make some mistakes, hopefully to be learned from. Who knows, if Sessegnon HAD played and done his hamstrings or similar he could miss a month not one game. Clearly Clare is not the answer but who is? The lack of depth is very obvious.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully following up with a better performance a better result and just maybe a better referee.
  • Options
    I have decided not to complain about refs in League One as it is our fault we are in this league and we have to put up with crap officials as a result. It is part of being this low.
    In fairness, No matter what league you are in, it shouldn't be much issue to have competent levels of refereeing. Human error will creep in obviously but some decisions are criminal.