Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Apparently it's raining in Qatar tomorrow, so FIFA are postponing all games, just incase there's a rainbow
    Maybe that's why they assume rainbows are only about the LGBT community....because it never rains there. 
    Plenty of blokes in dresses though, which is quite ironic when you think about it
    Speaking of which

They're skirts, but yeah, valid point
  • Options
    Their satnav is clearly on a wind up

• Options
    Regarding the drinking thing when the Women's World Cup was held in France in 2019 you couldn't drink alcohol in the stadium as I found out with @Len\'s_little_girl when we went to Le Havre to watch England's quarter final against Norway.

Could the lack of alcohol in the stadium be a World Cup thing rather than exclusively Qatari?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Regarding the drinking thing when the Women's World Cup was held in France in 2019 you couldn't drink alcohol in the stadium as I found out with @Len\'s_little_girl when we went to Le Havre to watch England's quarter final against Norway.

Could the lack of alcohol in the stadium be a World Cup thing rather than exclusively Qatari?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18348012

Nope. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

He's obviously been reading this thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    LenGlover said:

I think Qatar are just outright alcoholphobics aswell as homophobics to be honest Len
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Americas independence may take a brief pause this evening.

They know the uk is still their godfather. A few of them will probably 'accidentally' be singing the kings national anthem later, while gently sobbing.

Our American child grew up....and we thought, might aswell let them off the hook, so they can do things like create fast food and make the world fat with a gun in their hand. Wrestling and NASA ain't too bad either.

They need us more then we need them, and the yank cowboys need a gentle bitch slap this evening while we inform them some of us brits can have a gravesham borough Hollywood smile and we don't actually bother drinking tea. Bore off with that assumption. We prefer kebabs. 

We also enjoy sending james cordens to them whenever we run out of room. 

I hope Sandgaard watches the match this evening.  He might learn about what football actually is. 

• Options
    Just caught up with this article. I think it casts a different light on the armband backing-down

"England feared ‘unlimited liability’ on captains in dropping armband protest"

It's worth noting that this is from the Guardian, wherein several of its top columnists heavily criticised the England team for backing down. When you read this you realise the extent to which FIFA is completely beyond any reasoning. We can sit here and call them the players and FA this and that, but they are out there to do job, namely play and win football matches. Maybe pause and consider what the reaction would have been in England from the less reasonable half of the country, if FIFA had taken it beyond a yellow card. You can of course sit at your keyboards and say "call their bluff" but knowing the full glare of the whole country you'd be sitting in, are you really sure you'd have had the bollocks, especially if you are an unknown FA suit, potentially to be made notorious and branded a "woke traitor" by the Mail? 

• Options
    Noticed during the ad breaks on ITV that Virgin Atlantic have gone for the not so subtle dig at Qatar airways with the Gloria Gaynor song "I am what I am" advert. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1eOmsEG01k

• Options
    Meanwhile,  to their surprise I told my mates Zoran (Serbian) and Marco (czech-Swiss) that I'd be Ok for our regular beers despite the England game being on. We went to a big micro-brewery, and the big open room was heaving. At the front a monitor switched to the England game. On about 15 minutes the stream froze. And stayed frozen. Marco had it on his iPad, but when the waitress came, we asked if she could get the monitor going on. And at that point it slowly dawned on us, that we were the only ones interested! Which tells you a lot because a lot of Czechs follow English footie closely, and a summer WC or Euros game would for sure have attracted a crowd.

Then Zoran mentioned that his brother in law Darko, is out in Doha, had had tickets for the Brazil-Serbia game , and was staying on one of those cruise ships. So I mentioned that I'd embarrassed myself by imagining the cruise ships being located off shore, whereas of course they were in harbour and you just march up the gangway. Nope, said Zoran, you were right first time, you have to get to and from them by shuttle boat. He said this was one of the reasons why Darko's journey back to the ship from the stadium took 4 hours. On the other hand he said the ship's full cruise facilities such as swimming pools and cinema are all freely available- so it's not such a bad idea overall. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    Can’t see that in the U.K.  
  • Options
    Noticed during the ad breaks on ITV that Virgin Atlantic have gone for the not so subtle dig at Qatar airways with the Gloria Gaynor song "I am what I am" advert. 

Except the policy to allow flight staff to wear the uniform they feel most comfortable in wasn’t actually extended to those working on the flight that took England to the finals.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/virgin-atlantic-gender-neutral-qatar-world-cup-england-b1040263.html?amp

More hypocrisy. Saying the wrong thing and doing the wrong thing is terrible, saying the right thing and doing the wrong thing isn’t much better. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For an advert that is looking to promote diversity and inclusivity and say "it's ok to be who you are", there was one prominent group of society dramatically underrepresented. Which seems to be more and more common in advertising today.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

For an advert that is looking to promote diversity and inclusivity and say "it's ok to be who you are", there was one prominent group of society dramatically underrepresented. Which seems to be more and more common in advertising today.
    Who? 
  • Options
    Clowns.
  • Options
    Never see them on TV anymore
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Never see them on TV anymore
    https://www.cpfc.co.uk/palace-tv/

• Options
    Off_it said:

Who? 
    Travellers….
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    My big gypsy wedding
    Not exactly an advert.
  • Options
    Qatar is now making even more billions from natural gas supplies as a result of the Russia/Ukraine conflict and boycotts on Russian gas exports ..