Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    A week to go before all journalists on the payroll roll out their 'actually it's not so bad over here' blog posts/columns and the sportswashing is complete. 

Money and blood well spent I am sure. 
    Right on cue. 
    What’s funny is you clearly haven’t read the article before getting over excited and going back to quote your own prediction. 
    "The experience of riding the trains is just as impressive. As an experience it is unfailingly pleasant. Driverless trains glide between stations with nary a bump. They arrive every three minutes (maybe five at 2am) and give you enough time to get on without rushing. “Event team members” on the platforms prevent overcrowding."

Sportswashing in a nutshell. It's funny you clearly don't get why they paid for the World Cup in the first place. 
    So reporters should just lie about their experience instead?

If anything, this World Cup has shown that sports washing doesn't really work, Qatar's major issues have been highlighted in a way that never would have happened had they not hosted the world cup.

Do you think anyone in the world will now overlook the fact they arrest homosexuals because the trains run on time?
    I think that's what the Qatar government were hoping for. 

I believe that when you think back to Qatar the majority of the population will now think about the World Cup over the stories about the migrant deaths, which is what they wanted. 
  • Options
    I'm sure they would have come together and celebrated each other's cultures if Israel qualified.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    A week to go before all journalists on the payroll roll out their 'actually it's not so bad over here' blog posts/columns and the sportswashing is complete. 

Right on cue. 
    What’s funny is you clearly haven’t read the article before getting over excited and going back to quote your own prediction. 
    "The experience of riding the trains is just as impressive. As an experience it is unfailingly pleasant. Driverless trains glide between stations with nary a bump. They arrive every three minutes (maybe five at 2am) and give you enough time to get on without rushing. “Event team members” on the platforms prevent overcrowding."

Sportswashing in a nutshell. It's funny you clearly don't get why they paid for the World Cup in the first place. 

If anything, this World Cup has shown that sports washing doesn't really work, Qatar's major issues have been highlighted in a way that never would have happened had they not hosted the world cup.

Do you think anyone in the world will now overlook the fact they arrest homosexuals because the trains run on time?

I believe that when you think back to Qatar the majority of the population will now think about the World Cup over the stories about the migrant deaths, which is what they wanted. 
    Or - and to be fair, I am only going by the views of the closest few hundred people I know -  most people have enjoyed the world cup but STILL think Qatar is a shit country due to their human rights issues.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

Or - and to be fair, I am only going by the views of the closest few hundred people I know -  most people have enjoyed the world cup but STILL think Qatar is a shit country due to their human rights issues.
    So if that's sports washing, they have left a red sock in with their whites.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

Just wait for the Champions League final in Doha next. 

Followed by Premier League round of 39 in Dubai. 

The world cup is just the beginning.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

Sounds good to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure they would have come together and celebrated each other's cultures if Israel qualified.
    Can always rely on England fans to help the situation....
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clw03rcgu5R/?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ=

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

I hope so too.... We can all look forward to all your positive posts again...!!!

Give it a rest mate, you have got your point across! I think the WC has been fantastic in playing terms, and everyone that has been had a positive experience and enjoyed it!.. And a lot different to media is suggesting!
    Probably outweighed by the number dead building the infrastructure putting it all into place but what would I know? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

I hope so too.... We can all look forward to all your positive posts again...!!!

Give it a rest mate, you have got your point across! I think the WC has been fantastic in playing terms, and everyone that has been had a positive experience and enjoyed it!.. And a lot different to media is suggesting!
    Probably outweighed by the number dead building the infrastructure putting it all into place but what would I know? 
    Rather than looking at all the negative stuff, spend some time researching on the positive stuff as well!! 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

No idea, why don't you tell us.........
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

No idea, why don't you tell us.........
    Would be good to hear.. 
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4VbUFghZTQ

DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No alcohol in the stadium perimeter on religious grounds. Unless you’vw got the money to pay 20 grand for a ticket, then help yourself!

If someone’s writing a book on all this it might be called “How Not To Do Sportswashing”.
    Not sure why they just wouldn't put it in to a certain area, and have for non-Muslims like they do for the pork rooms here in Dubai
    'Pork Rooms', is that another name for  brothel?
    Plenty of them... 

Give it a rest about human rights...

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

Rather than looking at all the negative stuff, spend some time researching on the positive stuff as well!! 

Me researching the positive stuff in Qatar. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Right on cue. 

Me researching the positive stuff in Qatar. 
    1 - have you watched any games ?
    2 - have you enjoyed the world cup ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which is why the downsides will never be forgotten, despite people enjoying the positives. 
  • Options

DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No alcohol in the stadium perimeter on religious grounds. Unless you’vw got the money to pay 20 grand for a ticket, then help yourself!

If someone’s writing a book on all this it might be called “How Not To Do Sportswashing”.
    Not sure why they just wouldn't put it in to a certain area, and have for non-Muslims like they do for the pork rooms here in Dubai
    Plenty of them... 

Good video thanks for posting, but without a comment its hard to know your view on it. Genuine question btw)
  • Options
    Is everyone really bought into this?

This is the least engaged I have been by a WC since 1970. Even the USA without England was more authentic than this.

Not because of human rights abuses, gay people , beer, fan zones, cruise liners or trains. 

It just feels like watching someone else playing FIFA. 
  • Options

DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 

Good video thanks for posting, but without a comment its hard to know your view on it. Genuine question btw)
    I commented previously. Great atmosphere in Qatar, but it wouldn't be if a load of Israeli fans were there. #

This is the least engaged I have been by a WC since 1970. Even the USA without England was more authentic than this.

Not because of human rights abuses, gay people , beer, fan zones, cruise liners or trains. 

I've only seen one car with England flags up and no houses. Every other world cup has flags galore. Perhaps it's the weather. 

I can't talk for everyone and I wasn't even born then, but isn't '78 is looked back on more for footballing reasons? England not qualifying, Argentina's first world cup etc?
  • Options

DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 

I commented previously. Great atmosphere in Qatar, but it wouldn't be if a load of Israeli fans were there. #

I've only seen one car with England flags up and no houses. Every other world cup has flags galore. Perhaps it's the weather. 

I can't talk for everyone and I wasn't even born then, but isn't '78 is looked back on more for footballing reasons? England not qualifying, Argentina's first world cup etc?
    You’re right , I only found out with the recent Netflix Fifa documentary about the filth that was going on in Argentina and the 1978 World Cup was the first one I remember (8 years old) 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    What’s he doing heading that back instead of going for goal? Great ball in. 

Edit wrong thread!
  • Options
    Wouldn’t go as far as saying “most” people are flying in and then flying out again, but would be interested to see the split. 

A lot of people I spoke to were staying in Qatar but also taking the chance to go and visit other neighbouring countries like Oman, Bahrain, UAE and Saudi Arabia through choice. The opportunity to visit multiple countries with relative ease during downtime is a plus. 

The ability to go to two games a day, and therefore experience more teams/fanbases match day rituals is also a massive plus - one of the biggest ones. Never been done at a World Cup before and unlikely to ever happen again. 

To be honest, when you’ve got that sort of party going on everywhere around you then the topic of ‘how much is a beer’ didn’t really seem to feel that important to most people.
  • Options
    Being over there is not my idea of a party. Having over half a stadium full of England with a similar amount pugged up in the local city is my idea of a party.
  • Options
    @actually @Friend Or Defoe you've been quite generous with your list because some of the positives are sod all to do with Qatar -the football ones - unless someone wants to argue that Saudi, Morocco and Iran did better because of the strong support in the stadiums. Admittedly the aircon seems to have stopped the players getting completely frazzled but no way has the location otherwise got anything to do with the results. On TV I enjoy the matches (and watch more than I planned) but basically I forget where they are happening. 

And there are some other less consequential negatives too:

- it's pretty expensive
    - yes you can drink beer, but at a price, and only  terrible beer and mainly in soulless hotel bars. In Stuttgart we drank and ate what we liked, with the locals, as they partied. I expect this was even true in 2018 in Kaliningrad (well not the locals partying...)
    - this all means that most fans seem to be flying in, going to footie, sleeping, and getting out again. Not much space for getting to know and understand the place and the people better. Sure a lot of fans enjoy most WCs that way, but some at least want to visit the country too. That doesn't really seem to be on the agenda here even for those who want it. 
    - the main reason the players are not frazzled is because of when its taking place. That has fucked up European leagues and possibly the longer term fitness of some of its best players.
    - the home nation team, and it's "fans", were a hopeless embarrassment

If we are doing the balance sheet I would include under the positives the fact that the fans from Islamic countries have at least had a good crack at a WC, which has up to now been difficult, and they have shown us that they and their teams are no pushovers. Overall though I still think it will go down as  a not great WC beyond the football, and  a "mistake" to quote..er... Sepp Blatter.
    I am not sure if the bit in bold means the 'Sportswashing' has been successful or failed !!!