Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    @actually @Friend Or Defoe you've been quite generous with your list because some of the positives are sod all to do with Qatar -the football ones - unless someone wants to argue that Saudi, Morocco and Iran did better because of the strong support in the stadiums. Admittedly the aircon seems to have stopped the players getting completely frazzled but no way has the location otherwise got anything to do with the results. On TV I enjoy the matches (and watch more than I planned) but basically I forget where they are happening. 

And there are some other less consequential negatives too:

- it's pretty expensive
    - yes you can drink beer, but at a price, and only  terrible beer and mainly in soulless hotel bars. In Stuttgart we drank and ate what we liked, with the locals, as they partied. I expect this was even true in 2018 in Kaliningrad (well not the locals partying...)
    - this all means that most fans seem to be flying in, going to footie, sleeping, and getting out again. Not much space for getting to know and understand the place and the people better. Sure a lot of fans enjoy most WCs that way, but some at least want to visit the country too. That doesn't really seem to be on the agenda here even for those who want it. 
    - the main reason the players are not frazzled is because of when its taking place. That has fucked up European leagues and possibly the longer term fitness of some of its best players.
    - the home nation team, and it's "fans", were a hopeless embarrassment

If we are doing the balance sheet I would include under the positives the fact that the fans from Islamic countries have at least had a good crack at a WC, which has up to now been difficult, and they have shown us that they and their teams are no pushovers. Overall though I still think it will go down as  a not great WC beyond the football, and  a "mistake" to quote..er... Sepp Blatter.
    Remind me again which soulless hotel bar you were in?
  • Options
    A reminder that before the world cup the organiser was saying about 3 lives were lost and the same bloke is now saying 500-600. So let's not believe everything the press or even Amnesty International writes....
  • Options
    A reminder that before the world cup the organiser was saying about 3 lives were lost and the same bloke is now saying 500-600. So let's not believe everything the press or even Amnesty International writes....
    Or everything people write on here.....

Context and detail will help you.
  • Options
    Or everything people write on here.....

Context and detail will help you.
    https://youtu.be/QPaGtOLkUt8

At least the hotel bars are banging. 👍🏼
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:
    Wouldn’t go as far as saying “most” people are flying in and then flying out again, but would be interested to see the split. 

A lot of people I spoke to were staying in Qatar but also taking the chance to go and visit other neighbouring countries like Oman, Bahrain, UAE and Saudi Arabia through choice. The opportunity to visit multiple countries with relative ease during downtime is a plus. 

The ability to go to two games a day, and therefore experience more teams/fanbases match day rituals is also a massive plus - one of the biggest ones. Never been done at a World Cup before and unlikely to ever happen again. 

To be honest, when you’ve got that sort of party going on everywhere around you then the topic of ‘how much is a beer’ didn’t really seem to feel that important to most people.
    Absolutely correct, when I was over, nearly every England and Wales fan I spoke to were staying in Qatar. A few were going to head to other parts of the GCC in between the group stage and 1/4 finals stage.

A lot of the fans I spoke to said it was more of a party than previous World Cups and Euros they have been to, with fans from other counties coming together. No animosity towards each-other, and liked the fact they could easy watch other games. 

In terms, of prices of beer not as expensive as the media are making out. Radisson Blu pre Wales game, was roughly 50 quid for a bucket of 10 pint size cans beer. Other bars around the city had other deals.. But other bars are more expensive, but that is the same as any other major city!

Another thing I noticed while I was in Qatar, how well it was policed, they wasn't looking to make arrested or beat the crap out of people, which happens often when England play away.. In the pubs before, lots of yobbish behavior, the police and security handled it extremely well!  

Clearly, the people that lost life's in making the World Cup is disgraceful! But the figures we will never know, but I am sure it isn't anywhere near as high as the press are making out!    

Another thing everyone keeps referring to is the heat. In the evenings, it is lovely and cool. Infact I would say it is cooler than most previous World Cups held in the summer. 

To be honest, sick and tired of the negative comments of people that have never been to the region, and just believe everything that is the press.

Live a little lads, go and explore... You never know, you might find other cultures and believes are not so bad after all!
    After the WC everything goes back to normal.
  • Options
    3 deaths, 4 or 500 deaths , 6-7,000 it's just semantics and what's done is done accidents do happen and other countries have human rights issues too 
  • Options
    3 deaths, 4 or 500 deaths , 6-7,000 it's just semantics and what's done is done accidents do happen and other countries have human rights issues too 
    Major sporting events such as the Olympics and the WC are all about money and power.
    If you have enough of both then most other stuff will just be ignored by the sporting authorities.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

'The incident was only confirmed after The Athletic magazine reported that a Filipino man slipped off a ramp into concrete while walking alongside a forklift truck."

Even with everyone there Qatar still tries to hide incidents. 
  • Options
    @actually @Friend Or Defoe you've been quite generous with your list because some of the positives are sod all to do with Qatar -the football ones - unless someone wants to argue that Saudi, Morocco and Iran did better because of the strong support in the stadiums. Admittedly the aircon seems to have stopped the players getting completely frazzled but no way has the location otherwise got anything to do with the results. On TV I enjoy the matches (and watch more than I planned) but basically I forget where they are happening. 

- it's pretty expensive
    - yes you can drink beer, but at a price, and only  terrible beer and mainly in soulless hotel bars. In Stuttgart we drank and ate what we liked, with the locals, as they partied. I expect this was even true in 2018 in Kaliningrad (well not the locals partying...)
    - this all means that most fans seem to be flying in, going to footie, sleeping, and getting out again. Not much space for getting to know and understand the place and the people better. Sure a lot of fans enjoy most WCs that way, but some at least want to visit the country too. That doesn't really seem to be on the agenda here even for those who want it. 
    - the main reason the players are not frazzled is because of when its taking place. That has fucked up European leagues and possibly the longer term fitness of some of its best players.

If we are doing the balance sheet I would include under the positives the fact that the fans from Islamic countries have at least had a good crack at a WC, which has up to now been difficult, and they have shown us that they and their teams are no pushovers. Overall though I still think it will go down as  a not great WC beyond the football, and  a "mistake" to quote..er... Sepp Blatter.
    The only time I drink in  (big) hotel bars is when I’m attending some corporate event. Thats because they are all soulless and their target audience is groups of twats like me who are charging all the drinks to expenses. 

And if I were a shareholder in Radisson Blu or whatever that’s exactly how I’d expect it to be run, so that I get a nice dividend.

I expect you’ll produce some snaps of hotel bars there that look really cool because they are built around an infinity pool looking out on the ocean or something. And in the lack of any other choice I’d probably give it a go. But that does not mean they have a soul. Would you choose a hotel bar if the match were in Hamburg? Or, let’s say, Casablanca? 
  • Options
    Directors would be in court (Health and Safety at Work Act 1974) in the UK if a worker died and was not wearing a harness. WTF is a supreme committee?

Still, it's a nice place if you visit.
  • Options
    Directors would be in court (Health and Safety at Work Act 1974) in the UK if a worker died and was not wearing a harness. WTF is a supreme committee?

Why are you bringing the laws of another country into it ? 

• Options

- it's pretty expensive

The only time I drink in  (big) hotel bars is when I’m attending some corporate event. Thats because they are all soulless and their target audience is groups of twats like me who are charging all the drinks to expenses. 

And if I were a shareholder in Radisson Blu or whatever that’s exactly how I’d expect it to be run, so that I get a nice dividend.

I expect you’ll produce some snaps of hotel bars there that look really cool because they are built around an infinity pool looking out on the ocean or something. And in the lack of any other choice I’d probably give it a go. But that does not mean they have a soul. Would you choose a hotel bar if the match were in Hamburg? Or, let’s say, Casablanca? 
    Lot of England fans gathered at a Radisson hotel before the Iran game and had a great time.

If you’re looking for a more traditional establishment, then you had bars like The Red Lion which was packed with English and Welsh all week long. 

As I say, not everyone is really that bothered about how much booze you can consume when you’re at a World Cup - a possible once in a lifetime occasion - and there’s more than enough to stimulate the senses.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Good point, if they don't want any repercussions for someone losing a life then who are we to raise questions. Perhaps we can learn something from them? If you haven't been there you wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Now lets get back to saying how easy it is to get a beer out there for the forty fifth time.
  • Options
    Ah sorry, didn’t realise that the ‘Non Football Related Thread’ could only touch on topics you deem worthy of discussion. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

- it's pretty expensive

Lot of England fans gathered at a Radisson hotel before the Iran game and had a great time.

If you’re looking for a more traditional establishment, then you had bars like The Red Lion which was packed with English and Welsh all week long. 

As I say, not everyone is really that bothered about how much booze you can consume when you’re at a World Cup - a possible once in a lifetime occasion - and there’s more than enough to stimulate the senses.
    I'm probably in a minority, and it's partly to do with age as well, but what I call "a traditional establishment" is where locals go as part of their everyday normal lives, so that you get a feel for the place and its people and maybe get talking to some of them. It's also how I'd be on holiday. I'd avoid anything called The Red Lion. We've got one in Prague I think, and a George and Dragon and a Caffreys, a James Joyce etc. I get that these are convenient gathering places for Chelsea fans arriving for one night for a match, but they've missed out on the best pub and beer experience in Europe, and paid through the nose for what they did drink. I don't mean to be judgmental about it, e.g in Czech pubs you have to sit down at tables, and the best places need to be reserved, so that's a problem. But if I were spending shed-loads to take in some World Cup, I'd want to get a good feel for the place. I'm not a big boozer either (as my Scottish mates would gleefully confirm), but bars are usually places where people feel convivial and open up to strangers. The metro thing sounds great, but it also says a lot about Qatar that it happens there, in a metro that didn't exist until a few years ago, and which they never planned as a social meeting place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you're look at it from 2 different points of views.

If you're visiting a place for a tournament then you'll want to be with other fans and so the hotel bars and British theme pubs are ideal. If you want to explore a place and see what it's really like you want to go to places were the locals drink (obviously doesn't apply to the Middle East but in general) then the hotel and theme bars are what you want to avoid.
  • Options

If you're visiting a place for a tournament then you'll want to be with other fans and so the hotel bars and British theme pubs are ideal. If you want to explore a place and see what it's really like you want to go to places were the locals drink (obviously doesn't apply to the Middle East but in general) then the hotel and theme bars are what you want to avoid.
    Generally that‘s fair, but as you say it doesn‘t apply to the ME, and especially not to Qatar because its bloody tiny. That‘s onr of the reasons why overall I still say it should never have got it, even if it‘s clear that there are some things to enjoy out there, especially the metro meet-up, and possibly staying on one of  the cruise ships, preferably one of the two that are moored in dock. 

@QatarNapsy told us about areas where there are some authentic places where locals go, but if you are interested can you find them without having a QatarNapsy and if a lot of people did, would the places get completely overwhelmed? Whereas if you are in Stuttgart, or St Petersburg, or Rio, or Cape Town you’d be able to research such areas and individual places before you go.  
  • Options
    Having just come back from the UK & been in Central, South London & North Kent I saw one England flag on a house. Loads of Brazilian flags on windows & balconies & no flags at all on cars.
    Don’t think I’ve seen that little fuss in a World Cup for years 😳
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Good point, if they don't want any repercussions for someone losing a life then who are we to raise questions. Perhaps we can learn something from them? If you haven't been there you wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Now lets get back to saying how easy it is to get a beer out there for the forty fifth time.
    But why quote the health and safety rules in England, that is irrelevant to this incident.

• Options

but if you are interested can you find them without having a QatarNapsy 

yes. Google is still very useful in Qatar. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Just out of interest, a number are anti the Middle East.. just wonder how you would feel if this mystery party that PV is being for the Brighton game was from Qatar or Saudi? Would you boycott the club?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just out of interest, a number are anti the Middle East.. just wonder how you would feel if this mystery party that PV was from Qatar or Saudi? Would you boycott the club?
    What are you alluding too hmmmmm Zabeel are back on it !!!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just out of interest, a number are anti the Middle East.. just wonder how you would feel if this mystery party that PV was from Qatar or Saudi? Would you boycott the club?
    What are you alluding to hmmmmm Zabeel are back on it !!!
    No.. just interested!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just out of interest, a number are anti the Middle East.. just wonder how you would feel if this mystery party that PV is being for the Brighton game was from Qatar or Saudi? Would you boycott the club?
    If the Qatar executive committee decided they wanted to buy the club yes. At least until they drops the laws imprisoning LGBT people and pay reparations to families with family members killed during the lead up to the world cup. 

Same for the Saudi royal family but they have a few too many fingers in clubs as it is. 
  • Options
    We’ll end up with the Middle Eastern Laurel & Hardy just like last time the fake sheikh with no money