Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Generally we bowled in decent areas but I cannot recall seeing such brainless batting from a side. To be all out for 113 with 21 balls to spare from a position of 72-2 off 8.2 is simply awful cricket.  
  • Muyeye caught by Hammond for 6

9-1
  • 22-1 off 3
  • 46-1 off 5

DBD and Denly are batting well but Gloucs have their length all wrong
  • This is a game to get a head start on R/R in the comp

55-1 off 6
  • If this were a boxing bout it would have been stopped already

60-1 off 7
  • Unless, like DBD, the rest choose to go back to a straight skidder and are trapped LBW. Out for 27 (19)

61-2 off 7.2
  • 63-2 off 8
  • Billings gives his wicket up, caught trying to reverse sweep for 6 (7)

71-3 off 9.2 
  • 74-3 off 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Cox hits Payne for a couple of boundaries

84-3 off 11
  • Just got in. Who's the co-commenter with Fulton?
  • Cox taking no prisoners - 28 off 14

106-3 off 13
  • Jordon on fire . Good win 
  • We win by 7 wickets off 13.3 overs 

Denly 35* (31)
    Cox 39* (17)
  • Glos doing their best to make the new streaming service a dull win  :D
  • Just got in. Who's the co-commenter with Fulton?
    Adam Ball. At one point Geraint Jones joined Fulton
  • Conor McKerr has joined Notts on loan for 2 weeks. I wonder how many counties he'll play for this season...
  • edited May 2023
    It's a bit galling when we win by 7 wickets with 39 balls to spare and then see that we are 2nd in the table on R/R
  • Shocking performance by reigning champions Hants.

Craig  Overton, taking 3-8 in his 4 overs is rather impressive though
  • Sponsored links:

• Conor McKerr has joined Notts on loan for 2 weeks. I wonder how many counties he'll play for this season...
    Probably not Surrey at this rate. He's fallen right down the pecking order. Even with Roach no longer around and Abbot leaving shortly he's not currently challenging for the side.

There's always the 50 over cup I guess.
  • Great to hear that both Carter & CharltonKerry enjoyed their experience last night.

Mr F has always applauded our batters for running 2's when available & questions why some teams are happy to just amble through for easy singles. But if that's one of our strengths, then long may it last.

I thought the atmosphere was slightly "lacking" but guess that was partly due to the concerning form of several Spitfires thus far but confidence was built as the match progressed.

Looking forward to the trio of games starting on June 4th - a busy week for our lads but hoping that momentum continues to build as does the level of noise from the supporters.  
  • I'm planning to go next Tuesday, against Somerset. A much closer contest you'd imagine
  • Great to hear that both Carter & CharltonKerry enjoyed their experience last night.

Mr F has always applauded our batters for running 2's when available & questions why some teams are happy to just amble through for easy singles. But if that's one of our strengths, then long may it last.

I thought the atmosphere was slightly "lacking" but guess that was partly due to the concerning form of several Spitfires thus far but confidence was built as the match progressed.

Looking forward to the trio of games starting on June 4th - a busy week for our lads but hoping that momentum continues to build as does the level of noise from the supporters.  
    The not pushing for 2s and just accepting that there is only a single really is schoolboy stuff as it puts no pressure whatsoever on the fielder to attack the ball and thereby raise the possibility of a misfield. But that really just sums up Gloucester's approach on the day. Brainless cricket - how many of the shots were played giving consideration to the circumstances? Good news for us but I hope that their coach gives them a rocket and that they improve in their other encounters.

As for the atmosphere, it definitely appeared from the stream that it was somewhat muted but I would put that down to the absence of rival supporters and also the fact that we batted second and were chasing such a low total. Cox's barrage certainly made the ground more vocal and I'm sure that had we been able to set a score of 180 plus and then bowled them out for 113 then there would have been more of a reaction from the crowd. We can be sure that Friday's encounter will be different in nature come what may. 

• It will be very interesting to see who actually plays in the 2s game this week against Hants. Whereas the 1s and 2s matches have clashed in the last three weeks, the 1s do not have a game now 'til 11th May so there is absolutely no excuse for the likes of DBD, Denly, Cox and Billings not to take the opportunity to get some runs in the middle. 
    Joe Denly is the only one of those four playing in this game (with his nephew too) which I do find somewhat surprising. It is really difficult to argue that players are "undercooked" due to a lack of a pre season (even though they have now batted six or seven times) and/or are out of form if they are not taking every opportunity for time in the middle. And a 4 day 2s game would give them just that. 

Team - MK O'Riordan*, HZ Finch†, TS Muyeye, JL Denly, JK Denly, Hamidullah Qadri, E Singh, GS Ealham, JEG Logan, NN Gilchrist, J Singh, AH Bhuiyan

In addition to Jaydn Denly, Ekansh Singh is one to watch. He is a very stylish and technically correct 17 year old batsman.

Hants won the toss and will bat:

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m518f6866-4cc7-43bf-98b2-3b7d41ba122b_~scorecard
    Question for anyone who watches 2nd 11 cricket, is ealham any good?
    George Ealham was at Kent, went to Surrey, came back to Kent and played almost every game for the 2s last season without too much success with bat or ball - the sum total a couple of 50s late on in the season. Not many players get those sort of opportunities but it certainly doesn't do any individual any harm if both your father and grandfather played for the County. 

There are plenty that have been discarded much sooner and only given a token game to prove themselves. One that was given a fair chance but rejected was Ben Compton - in 2019 he scored 848 runs in all forms of cricket for our 2s, including T20 which really isn't his strength as we know and scored 848 runs at an average of 65.23 and that included four tons. It took us three years to sign him. I would suggest that Ealham won't have to wait three years for that to happen IF he does that this season. 
    George Ealham is playing for Gloucester 2s today against Oxford UCCE and probably wouldn't have to do too much to impress judging by their first team performance last night. Playing for Oxford is Joe Gordon who currently plays for Lordswood and who was in the Kent Academy between the ages of 14 and 19 (in fact he was the youngest ever to be in the Academy at that age) and who has played plenty of Kent 2s himself. 
  • Is UCCE the old MCCU ? 
  • Is UCCE the old MCCU ? 
    This is Oxford University Cricket Club. The Oxford MCCU used to be one of six Universities that received funding from the MCC but I believe that this has stopped now but I might be wrong