Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• All over.
    No gloating from me as I don't want to get on the wrong side of Fanny.
    Have a good weekend all.
  • edited May 2023
    Tom Lawes is the new Sam Curran. Useful bowler but they think his batting will develop more down the line. He isn't tall or particularly quick but has a knack for making things happen.

Tom Lawes opens doors.
  • Another very ordinary display. Unfortunately, the man who "gave up" a place in the IPL to lead from the front has 92 runs in 10 innings at an average of 9.20 this season. He could have played for the 2s when the first team didn't have a game to find some form but, for whatever reason, he didn't. 

That keeper/batsman who left us has now scored, by comparison, 465 runs in the same number of innings at an average of 46.50 and has a "Bazball" like strike rate of 88.23. He also hit the second fastest ever Durham CC 50 off 25 balls today. It's good for his career that he has gone though because he knows that, unless he really has a dramatic loss of form, he is Durham's number 5 and keeper for the duration. He is also now in the top three keeper/batsmen in the country whereas had he stayed he would have been just in the top three at Kent and always the one to be left out when the other two were available for selection.  

We are now almost half way through the CC season (and it's only the middle of May) and it is difficult to see where the runs and wickets are going to come from especially with the distraction of the Blast. Something has to change though. 
  • edited May 2023
    Oh look Sky Surrey Cricket are showing their games on Thursday AND Friday. That's only four times they've been shown already this season so it's fortunate for us that we happen to be their opposition on Friday. I suppose given that Surrey have not won The Blast in 20 years, if Sky keep showing them more than any other team for the next 50 years and they might actually show them winning the competition again.
  • I see Sussex have allowed this venerable record to be absolutely demolished today

https://www.slogover.in/biggest-difference-between-a-teams-first-and-second-innings-is-551-runs-recorded-by-pakistan/
  • Oh wait, that's in Tests. Can't be far off the overall record mind
  • Leuth said:
    I see Sussex have allowed this venerable record to be absolutely demolished today

https://www.slogover.in/biggest-difference-between-a-teams-first-and-second-innings-is-551-runs-recorded-by-pakistan/
    Poor Sam Northeast. Glamorgan 735-9 and he was out for a golden! Still, good to see Labushagne (138) playing himself into form and Michael Nesser (121*) pressing for an Ashes place as a batsman too.

Robinson is batting at 11 in this game but could well be England's number 8. Is that a bit of an anomaly? 
  • Wow. Glamorgan make 737, with Sam Northeast making a duck. You can take the boy out of Kent...
    His batting is going in the wrong direction. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    I see Sussex have allowed this venerable record to be absolutely demolished today

Poor Sam Northeast. Glamorgan 735-9 and he was out for a golden! Still, good to see Labushagne (138) playing himself into form and Michael Nesser (121*) pressing for an Ashes place as a batsman too.

Robinson is batting at 11 in this game but could well be England's number 8. Is that a bit of an anomaly? 
    Ollie is injured. Ankle scan tomorrow 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:

Oh that's not good news especially with the other quicks that are out at the moment. 
  • He is on crutches and his foot in a boot at the moment. Horrible scenes. 
  • Is Sam Cook close to a call up? I guess this should be for the England thread…
  • CHG said:
    Is Sam Cook close to a call up? I guess this should be for the England thread…
    He has got be in consideration 
  • At this rate the Aussies will have more fit bowlers available to them, other because they are in the party or playing here for a county, than we will. 
  • Shame Gilchrist has been injured and had no cricket. That said Sam Cook if fit has got to be close to being the next cab off the rank assuming Wood and the Overtons are injured along with Stones and Mahmood.
  • LenGlover said:
    Shame Gilchrist has been injured and had no cricket. That said Sam Cook if fit has got to be close to being the next cab off the rank assuming Wood and the Overtons are injured along with Stones and Mahmood.
    Sadly Gilchrist has been way off the mark (0-139 in his only match) and has struggled in the second team too. That is possibly a legacy of his injuries but something isn't right at the moment and he hasn't played at all in the last couple of weeks. 
  • Cook or maybe Saqib Mahmood for a callup? Outside bet of Brydon Carse? 
  • edited May 2023
    Oh look Sky Surrey Cricket are showing their games on Thursday AND Friday. That's only four times they've been shown already this season so it's fortunate for us that we happen to be their opposition on Friday. I suppose given that Surrey have not won The Blast in 20 years, if Sky keep showing them more than any other team for the next 50 years and they might actually show them winning the competition again.
    What a sad little life Jane. 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:

Ohh just call these fucking ashes off already. All that optimisation from a few onnthe ago has come crashing down around us. Series has gone before a ball has even been bowled.
  • At this rate Stevo will be coming out of retirement
  • Tom Lawes is the new Sam Curran. Useful bowler but they think his batting will develop more down the line. He isn't tall or particularly quick but has a knack for making things happen.

Tom Lawes opens doors.
    He did OK down under in the winter playing for Kensington in the South Australia Cricket League and that experience wouldn't have done him any harm. He was more successful with the ball as he took 18 wickets at 10.72 and scored 259 runs at 19.92. Kensington is/was Daniel Worrall's club in Adelaide and it's not beyond the realms of fantasy that he was the one who put club and player in touch with each other. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:

Ohh just call these fucking ashes off already. All that optimisation from a few onnthe ago has come crashing down around us. Series has gone before a ball has even been bowled.
    Surely we can rely on all those magnificent Surrey bowlers to come into the team & save the day ....

.....if they're eligible of course  B) 
  • redman said:
    Boom said:
    Are any games being played at Beckenham this year? Don’t really follow Kent but will go to a game there as it’s local. Think they normally play some T20s?
    As far as I am aware all the home CC and T20 Blast games are being played at Canterbury and all the One Day Cup 50 over home matches are at Beckenham
    Only 2 50 over matches are played at Beckenham, with 3 in Canterbury. And presumably any knockout games will be played in Canterbury
    Together with nothing at TW  the reason I didn't renew my membership. Short sighted in my view
    By all accounts TW needs an upgrade to bring the facilities up to ECB standards. It isn't owned by Kent but the TW Borough Council and I'm not sure that they are prepared to fund that so there appears to be a bit of an impasse. For that reason, I'm not sure whether county cricket will ever return to The Nevill in the same way as it stopped being played at the other out grounds such as Folkestone, Dover, Blackheath, Gillingham, Gravesend, Dartford, Maidstone etc etc 
    Is this the start of the upgrade of facilities?

• MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:

Surely we can rely on all those magnificent Surrey bowlers to come into the team & save the day ....

.....if they're eligible of course  B) 
    Overton Topley and Tom Curran are injured.

I suspect Sam will pop up in a squad this summer. Lawes and Atkinson are probably too young/inexperienced for England yet. 

Jordan Clark is a proper player - not fancied or attractive but as an allrounder that can bowl with a decent bit of pace England could do a lot worse.
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-cricket-launches-kentcricketplay-ahead-of-t20-start/

Kent launching a dedicated streaming service for the T20s, £5.99 a game with multiple camera angles. Wednesday's game is free
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-cricket-launches-kentcricketplay-ahead-of-t20-start/

I don't know what the other counties are doing, but Kent have launched a commercial streaming service for the T20s, with multiple camera coverage for £5.99 a game

I don't know what the other counties are doing, but Kent have launched a commercial streaming service for the T20s, with multiple camera coverage for £5.99 a game
    Thanks for the heads up.

Does this mean no more free, if limited, streams for T20s ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Does this mean no more free, if limited, streams for T20s ?
    I assume so. Not unreasonable really, seeing that the T20s are their main money maker.