Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• @Addick Addict saw your comment regarding Stafford (Jordan’s dad)  umpiring. Weirdly enough just came across one of his comments in the kent group, said  the move was not for financial reasons… What other reasons could that be? Kent to essex isn’t a move you’d want to make unless you were desperate to get out a county, despite how well they do in four day cricket. 
    2 county championships and 1 covid era Bob Willis championship in the last 6 years.
    Why wouldn't you want to join them ?

• MrOneLung said:
    @Addick Addict saw your comment regarding Stafford (Jordan’s dad)  umpiring. Weirdly enough just came across one of his comments in the kent group, said  the move was not for financial reasons… What other reasons could that be? Kent to essex isn’t a move you’d want to make unless you were desperate to get out a county, despite how well they do in four day cricket. 
    2 county championships and 1 covid era Bob Willis championship in the last 6 years.

And a couple of T20 blast wins. Rossington is old and overweight and somehow still plays all formats. Not a good keeper but has to keep due to lack of alternatives and lack of agility elsewhere in the field.

I expect Cox to be first choice keeper in all formats at Essex next season. Whereas if he stayed at Kent he would be behind Billings for as long as he is around and chooses to play/keep.
  • MrOneLung said:
    @Addick Addict saw your comment regarding Stafford (Jordan’s dad)  umpiring. Weirdly enough just came across one of his comments in the kent group, said  the move was not for financial reasons… What other reasons could that be? Kent to essex isn’t a move you’d want to make unless you were desperate to get out a county, despite how well they do in four day cricket. 

And a couple of T20 blast wins. Rossington is old and overweight and somehow still plays all formats. Not a good keeper but has to keep due to lack of alternatives and lack of agility elsewhere in the field.

I expect Cox to be first choice keeper in all formats at Essex next season. Whereas if he stayed at Kent he would be behind Billings for as long as he is around and chooses to play/keep.
    I think Rossington might still keep in the T20 for now at least. He's good enough with the bat and Cox is a brilliant fielder which Rossington isn't. The problem with the keeping at Kent situation is that Billings decides what Billings wants to do and I suspect that he gave the gloves up to Cox to concentrate on his batting and as a means of persuading Cox that he has a future at Kent doing the job - we have to remember that when Robinson was at Kent, Cox was third choice. 
  • I'll accept that we have injuries and a budget that really sees us miles from the likes of Surrey. But Notts are at the same end of the table as us, and that was a spineless performance. The knocked up a huge total, declared and skittled us out. I'm getting on a bit so football in july is a no-no for me unless it's a world cup type thing, but this cricket season is just dire. 
    Remind me of this post when we are 2-0 down at home to Cheltenham, but right now, football seeems the better prospect, but frankly, so does train spotting, and I don't even know how the fuck you 'spot' atrain. Are they camoflaged?
  • Kent 2s beat Essex by 6 wickets:

O'Riordan 106 (103)
    Bell-Drummond 52 (45)
    Billings 75 (54)
    GR Severin 8 (15)
    Smith 18* (17)
    Gordon 21* (18)

• As I said, we ought to be able to draw the game, but as a team we look shot. It's like a football team plummeting to relegation, with loads of injuries, no confidence and no way of stopping the rot.

I wonder if Neil Warnock fancies managing a cricket team for a few weeks...
  • Apparently Warnock said he was a miracle worker but that’s too much of a challenge! 
  • In a way the break for the hundred might have come at the right time for us. A few weeks off to find some confidence in the 50 or the hundred may be just what the players need to come back firing on all cylinders . 
  • Is it bad if I jump ship and start supporting Surrey. I was born in Greenwich and lived in a London borough for the first 25 years of my life. It's not like I'm a proper man of Kent 
    You can’t do that …… but if you become a Surrey member I think you get 1st dibs on Test tickets
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it bad if I jump ship and start supporting Surrey. I was born in Greenwich and lived in a London borough for the first 25 years of my life. It's not like I'm a proper man of Kent 
    As a Greenwich lad you are a 'Kentish Man' not a 'Man of Kent.'
  • 85 all out.

What another pathetic capitulation. Second from bottom having played a game more. 

It will be a struggle to stay up now. We should have drawn that match.
    You know it will lead to singing "glad all over" in the shower 
  • MrOneLung said:

also mentioned on Test Match Special that Essex's Lawrence could well move to Surrey for next season
  • MrOneLung said:

also mentioned on Test Match Special that Essex's Lawrence could well move to Surrey for next season
    I think that’s already been announced - allegedly for less money that was on offer at Essex 
  • MrOneLung said:

Already announced. I can't begrudge Essex taking Cox from us, as they're not one of of moneybags counties poaching players and not producing their own .
  • MrOneLung said:

Already announced. I can't begrudge Essex taking Cox from us, as they're not one of of moneybags counties poaching players and not producing their own .
    Foakes also went down that road a few years ago. 
  • LenGlover said:
    Is it bad if I jump ship and start supporting Surrey. I was born in Greenwich and lived in a London borough for the first 25 years of my life. It's not like I'm a proper man of Kent 
    I now live in Kent, what does that make me now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ouch 
    Indeed. Although it is a bit rich of Billings to say that given how they have danced to his tune over the last three or four years. 

There was no such bitterness when Robinson left because Kent understood why he was going as Billings and Cox were put ahead of him in both the County Championship and Blast. When they sent Robinson out on loan last season to Durham, they knew that he could then, effectively, terminate his contract. He never wanted to leave Kent but he couldn't see any way that they were going to give him the sort of opportunities that Durham have - bats at 5 in the CC and 4 in the Blast and keeps in both.  Kent took a gamble on Cox but have ended up being burnt by both and to add insult to injury Billings hasn't been able to buy a run.
  • Stafford Cox - "The move was not for financial reasons..........Question is surely, why is all the young talent leaving….answer that question and you’ll have your answer". 

If Billings decides not to play red ball come September, then he won't play with Cox for us. However, isn't Billings captain of the Oval Invincibles and doesn't Cox play for them too? I might have to break my commitment not to watch any of that trash just to see the body language of the two!!!  
  • Fred Klaassen is, by all accounts, injured and out of The Hundred. 
  • edited July 2023
    LenGlover said:
    Is it bad if I jump ship and start supporting Surrey. I was born in Greenwich and lived in a London borough for the first 25 years of my life. It's not like I'm a proper man of Kent 
    I now live in Kent, what does that make me now?
    London side of the River Medway still a Kentish Man Coastal side Man of Kent.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/are-you-a-man-of-kent-or-kentish-man-228500/

That said I was born a Kentish Man but now reside as a Man of Kent but still regard myself as a Kentish Man.
  • When I posted that Bilbo was one of my favourite current players, those sentiments have somewhat dissipated this season, if not before, as, with more information /insider knowledge from AA  & others, I've come to realise that our management has made some crucial decisions that favour him but are detrimental to the squad as a whole.

This is inevitably a very naive, simplistic & possibly inaccurate view of something which has had serious implications for our squad this season, and if there is one iota of truth in my perception, then something has to change, and without delay.

The ramifications of a policy which appears to be skewed towards one player, however high profile he may be, surely has to be addressed as the results are there for all to see. And next season's planning is already underway with the knowledge that unless Sam's situation changes or he makes some difficult decisions, we'll find ourselves in the same predicament once more. There is no "I" in team.

But, just as injuries have impacted time & time again on Charlton's hopes and aims, in the past few weeks, the number of Kent players having knocks or longer term problems seems to have escalated alarmingly. In both cases, the effects on  squads with limited depth, is incalculable as we know only too well. And with every unfit player, the pressure & workload of his colleagues increases....and further injuries are more likely to result. 

Nothing here that we don't already know of course & hopefully some fresh faces management wise might ring some much needed changes. I am assuming that meetings take place for members to raise their concerns but would question how far reaching such "consultations" tend to be. I'd hazard a guess that there are no easy answers.....

Please feel free to ignore the angst & deluded mutterings of a simple, aged Kent supporter but I feel a tad lighter having unburdened myself tonight. Thank you for listening, fellow sufferers - it's much appreciated. 

See you here, same time, same sentiments next year.
  • When I posted that Bilbo was one of my favourite current players, those sentiments have somewhat dissipated this season, if not before, as, with more information /insider knowledge from AA  & others, I've come to realise that our management has made some crucial decisions that favour him but are detrimental to the squad as a whole.

This is inevitably a very naive, simplistic & possibly inaccurate view of something which has had serious implications for our squad this season, and if there is one iota of truth in my perception, then something has to change, and without delay.

The ramifications of a policy which appears to be skewed towards one player, however high profile he may be, surely has to be addressed as the results are there for all to see. And next season's planning is already underway with the knowledge that unless Sam's situation changes or he makes some difficult decisions, we'll find ourselves in the same predicament once more. There is no "I" in team.

But, just as injuries have impacted time & time again on Charlton's hopes and aims, in the past few weeks, the number of Kent players having knocks or longer term problems seems to have escalated alarmingly. In both cases, the effects on  squads with limited depth, is incalculable as we know only too well. And with every unfit player, the pressure & workload of his colleagues increases....and further injuries are more likely to result. 

Nothing here that we don't already know of course & hopefully some fresh faces management wise might ring some much needed changes. I am assuming that meetings take place for members to raise their concerns but would question how far reaching such "consultations" tend to be. I'd hazard a guess that there are no easy answers.....

Please feel free to ignore the angst & deluded mutterings of a simple, aged Kent supporter but I feel a tad lighter having unburdened myself tonight. Thank you for listening, fellow sufferers - it's much appreciated. 

See you here, same time, same sentiments next year.
    You've articulated a lot of my own feelings.

Sometimes I wonder why Charlton and Kent but they're deeply embedded in the DNA whether I like it or not.

We will continue regardless!
  • Don’t want to add to the doom and gloom but Zak Crawley is out of contract too and with it looking increasingly likely that we may go down and him having a reasonable ashes series, i would rule out him leaving too. Heard a rumour Rory burns may have been tempted to pack it in after this summer,  so no doubt Surrey may throw some cash ! 
  • Do England players care what division their county is in? They play so little for their counties, that it's a minor issue for them. And why poach an established England Test player, who'll never play for you anyway?

Stokes, Root, Bairstow, Brook, Wood, Robinson, Tongue, Potts have all played for England this summer as Div 2 cricketers.
  • Do England players care what division their county is in? They play so little for their counties, that it's a minor issue for them. And why poach an established England Test player, who'll never play for you anyway?

Stokes, Root, Bairstow, Brook, Wood, Robinson, Tongue, Potts have all played for England this summer as Div 2 cricketers.
    IMO under the current England regime - once you are “in” it doesn’t really matter which div you play in.
  • MrOneLung said:

Foakes also went down that road a few years ago. 
    Foakes was a different situation. He left because of lack of opportunities at Essex. They still had James Foster at the time and even though he was clearly on the way out and Foakes was incredibly highly rated they refused to share the keeping responsibilities between the 2 of them. After a couple years Foakes got fed up and Surrey offered him the opportunity to be first choice keeper in all formats. He's never looked back. 

Stupid from Essex as Foster retired a year and a half later and they've struggled for keepers ever since.