Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Despite the fact that O'Driscoll was down to keep wicket for the 2s, Billings is actually doing the job. Both Sam Smith and O'Driscoll are in the side so it might be a straight shootout between the two as to which of them might be offered a contract. 
  • Downton's has said "we are disappointed that Jordan Cox has decided to move on from Kent next year. He has made a name for himself as a Kent cricketer and has been extremely well supported by the Club". That has a tone of bitterness and totally different to the one that Kent issued upon the news of Robinson's departure.  
  • Finch adjudged LBW although it did look like he hit the ball

34-4
  • The phrase ‘deserting a sinking ship’ springs to mind.
  • Leaning out, that dismissal was an utter disgrace. When it rains, it pours 
  • And as if things couldn’t get worse, Jordan cox joins Essex 
    The best kept secret!!!

As I say, we will be looking for a young keeper now and I would be really surprised if that person isn't Daniel O'Driscoll although two things might change that - O'Driscoll gets a better offer and/or Seb starts keeping again AND puts runs in the book. I think the former is more likely as things have gone!!!

Seb's game for Bickley is at Whitstable tomorrow and guess who is umpiring - Jordan's father, Stafford.  
    Struggling to get excited about a keeper being released from Middlesex! The club backed the wrong horse right at the start of the season when they chose cox over Robinson, everyone knew cox has wanted to leave for a while 
    100% - if Middlesex's 4th choice is good enough for us that shows how far we have sunk. 
    But he will be our third choice to begin with won't he? And yes we have sunk that low. Wake up and smell the coffee. Remember when I predicted that Robinson would go and some weren't bothered because we still had "Billings and Cox" - well the former has a top score in all forms of the game of 34 for us this season and the latter is off too. 
    "Wake up and smell the coffee" - how condescending it that comment ? who do you think you are ? 
    The best kept secret!!!

As I say, we will be looking for a young keeper now and I would be really surprised if that person isn't Daniel O'Driscoll although two things might change that - O'Driscoll gets a better offer and/or Seb starts keeping again AND puts runs in the book. I think the former is more likely as things have gone!!!

Seb's game for Bickley is at Whitstable tomorrow and guess who is umpiring - Jordan's father, Stafford.  
    Struggling to get excited about a keeper being released from Middlesex! The club backed the wrong horse right at the start of the season when they chose cox over Robinson, everyone knew cox has wanted to leave for a while 
    100% - if Middlesex's 4th choice is good enough for us that shows how far we have sunk. 
    But he will be our third choice to begin with won't he? And yes we have sunk that low. Wake up and smell the coffee. Remember when I predicted that Robinson would go and some weren't bothered because we still had "Billings and Cox" - well the former has a top score in all forms of the game of 34 for us this season and the latter is off too. 
    "Wake up and smell the coffee" - how condescending it that comment ? who do you think you are ? 
    Think it was genuinely meant as the fact that we’ve actually become a very poor county without too many people realising it, with limited amount of money and no structure in place going forward we should all be worried in the direction kent are going in.
  • edited July 2023
    And as if things couldn’t get worse, Jordan cox joins Essex 
    The best kept secret!!!

That was my reaction to you being so derogatory about a young keeper you know absolutely nothing about and saying that signing him was indicative of how low we had sunk despite the fact that he will be our third choice keeper. So who do you think you are when you know nothing about a 20 year old lad who has played Bunbury and Super 8s? Weren't you one of those who said that we shouldn't be worried about Robinson going because we had Billings and Cox? 
  • If Kent are relegated, does that mean Charlton will be promoted? Need one team to be successful 
  • Sponsored links:

• Meanwhile, on the pitch, we are 69-6. Leaning and Evison the latest to go.  
  • ross1 said:
    If Kent are relegated, does that mean Charlton will be promoted? Need one team to be successful 
    Here's hoping. Supporting both has been painful. 
  • I fear it will be a while before Kent come back up (I know we are not down yet) but we are playing like a team that is resigned to relegation.

• @Addick Addict saw your comment regarding Stafford (Jordan’s dad)  umpiring. Weirdly enough just came across one of his comments in the kent group, said  the move was not for financial reasons… What other reasons could that be? Kent to essex isn’t a move you’d want to make unless you were desperate to get out a county, despite how well they do in four day cricket. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I fear it will be a while before Kent come back up (I know we are not down yet) but we are playing like a team that is resigned to relegation.

I'm convinced that this is the reason Downton didn't extend his contract. He knows that we are fighting a losing cause against the bullying bigger counties and the influence of franchise cricket. Not that he will play much for us but isn't Crawley's contract up at the end of the season too? 
  • @Addick Addict saw your comment regarding Stafford (Jordan’s dad)  umpiring. Weirdly enough just came across one of his comments in the kent group, said  the move was not for financial reasons… What other reasons could that be? Kent to essex isn’t a move you’d want to make unless you were desperate to get out a county, despite how well they do in four day cricket. 
    Essex as a county aren't going to be relegated any time soon whereas we are going to really struggle to get back up. If you have any aspirations to play for England in red ball then there aren't many that get that playing in Div 2. That is a long way off for Cox but why tie yourself down for three years to play in that division. Essex isn't new to Cox either because he was schooled there too but Kent will be disappointed because this is a lad who came through our system from the age of 10. The same as Robinson and Crawley and we could be losing all three of them. We have no one else left under 30 who has been on that journey. 
    The best kept secret!!!

That was my reaction to you being so derogatory about a young keeper you know absolutely nothing about and saying that signing him was indicative of how low we had sunk despite the fact that he will be our third choice keeper. So who do you think you are when you know nothing about a 20 year old lad who has played Bunbury and Super 8s? Weren't you one of those who said that we shouldn't be worried about Robinson going because we had Billings and Cox? 
    That wasnt me - but crack on
    The best kept secret!!!

That wasnt me - but crack on
    Thanks - and I will
  • Flat pitch, reasonable weather tomorrow. We ought to be able to draw this game.
    Don’t agree with this at all. Wouldn’t trust us to hold out if they manage to put us in after lunch, Quinn batting at 8 should be enough to worry people. 
    We batted 101 overs in the first innings, which suggests it's not a tricky pitch, especially as tomorrow the weather looks fairly pleasant
    I did say, don’t think you took into account just how bad we are plus batting last with a big score on the board is never easy. Expect for this to be over just after tea 
    Think I was being a bit too optimistic hoping it would be over just after tea 
  • 85-9 

If I identified as a woman I would be clearing my throat right now
  • Sponsored links:

• 85 all out 
  • 85 all out 
    Absolutely pathetic
  • edited July 2023
    This is SO depressing as I'm sure all Kent supporters would echo. 

I continue to switch from Trent Bridge to The Oval & back again at a rate of Knotts  :) but dread what will have occurred at the former each time. Apathy is beginning to creep in, I'm afraid & I fear that the One Day Cup will fail to raise my spirits either.

This proud " institution", in The Garden of England, is in danger of plummeting at an alarming rate into the realms of the minor counties' competitions ...or am I being totally over dramatic as tends to be my wont ? 

I DO wear my heart on my sleeve, albeit a somewhat soggy one that is evidence of the tears shed for the demise of MY county.

Like Charlton fans, including myself, who yearn to have a connection with our players, I have the same affiliation with the Kent lads...well, most of them anyway. Back in the day, it included Godfrey Evans & Colin Cowdrey, then in more recent times, Asif, Deadly, Knotty & the Ealhams to mention just a few. And even more to date, Bilbo, Stevo & Deebs. The common denominator ? Players who have given their all for Kent - mainly one "club" players. 

At present, it seems hardly worth investing too much "love" in a certain player as money talks and favourites such as Ollie Robinson & now Jordan Cox are forced to ply their trade at more wealthy counties. Soul destroying IMO. 

In the time it's taken to consider what I wanted to say in this post (and I fear have done so poorly)  a quick glance through my fingers tells me the end is nigh as the slide into Division 2 accelerates. Such sad & worrying times. 

I'm fervently hoping that AA will be able to give me some reassurances that things will get better, that this is the time for a rebuild & that it's the cyclical nature of the sport....but without a level playing field that allows the richer counties ( you KNOW who I mean !) to get richer, I fear that "little old Kent"  will remain a tiddler in the pool of the big, fat trouts.  

Think Man City/Surrey & Charlton/Kent at this moment in time.....

I'd rather not. :'( 
  • Cox will give his "all for Kent" during the rest of his time with us. This isn't his fault but it is indicative of the state of affairs at Kent and in cricket generally in this country that he will be "with us" for another 9 weeks but only available to play for us in another 3 matches. 
  • Cox will give his "all for Kent" during the rest of his time with us. This isn't his fault but it is indicative of the state of affairs at Kent and in cricket generally in this country that he will be "with us" for another 9 weeks but only available to play for us in another 3 matches. 
    I wouldn't expect anything less from him, AA.
  • This is SO depressing as I'm sure all Kent supporters would echo. 

I continue to switch from Trent Bridge to The Oval & back again at a rate of Knotts  :) but dread what will have occurred at the former each time. Apathy is beginning to creep in, I'm afraid & I fear that the One Day Cup will fail to raise my spirits either.

This proud " institution", in The Garden of England, is in danger of plummeting at an alarming rate into the realms of the minor counties' competitions ...or am I being totally over dramatic as tends to be my wont ? 

I DO wear my heart on my sleeve, albeit a somewhat soggy one that is evidence of the tears shed for the demise of MY county.

Like Charlton fans, including myself, who yearn to have a connection with our players, I have the same affiliation with the Kent lads...well, most of them anyway. Back in the day, it included Godfrey Evans & Colin Cowdrey, then in more recent times, Asif, Deadly, Knotty & the Ealhams to mention just a few. And even more to date, Bilbo, Stevo & Deebs. The common denominator ? Players who have given their all for Kent - mainly one "club" players. 

At present, it seems hardly worth investing too much "love" in a certain player as money talks and favourites such as Ollie Robinson & now Jordan Cox are forced to ply their trade at more wealthy counties. Soul destroying IMO. 

In the time it's taken to consider what I wanted to say in this post (and I fear have done so poorly)  a quick glance through my fingers tells me the end is nigh as the slide into Division 2 accelerates. Such sad & worrying times. 

I'm fervently hoping that AA will be able to give me some reassurances that things will get better, that this is the time for a rebuild & that it's the cyclical nature of the sport....but without a level playing field that allows the richer counties ( you KNOW who I mean !) to get richer, I fear that "little old Kent"  will remain a tiddler in the pool of the big, fat trouts.  

Think Man City/Surrey & Charlton/Kent at this moment in time.....

I'd rather not. :'( 
    Excellent post Fanny and your fears are shared by many of us. We have the basis of a good side when those players are available AND performing to their best. A top seven of Muyeye, Compton, DBD, Denly, Billings, Finch and Evison if they all found their form should be decent enough in Div 2. It's that "IF" that is the issue but where's hope.....
    I wouldn't expect anything less from him, AA.
    I agree and as I say I don't blame him. But imagine how many games that he would be playing for us in those 9 weeks if we didn't have that other dreadful so called competition taking place at the height of the summer. 
  • Hopefully not a sign of things to come but we play Hertfordshire on Sunday. The 14 man squad includes two 17 year olds mentioned previously on here namely Ekansh Singh and Jaydn Denly, Joe's nephew. Bazley is included as is Gilchrist for his first game back from injury. 

• Kent 2s are chasing 298 to beat Essex in their 50 over game. Currently we are 100-0 off 12 overs with DBD 52* (43) and O'Riordan 41* (30)