Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Luke Fletcher with figures of 1-7 off 9.2 overs has had to hobble off the field. That is a major blow for Notts. 
  • Just about had it with Compton. 

There to score decent runs but failing this season on the whole.

Plus important catches dropped. 

Feeling very unhappy about the state of our squad at present and wondering how the morale is. 
    I think that, with the departure of Downton, there will be a major shake up and that might include Matt Walker. Injuries really haven't helped and having to use 23 players really isn't great but too many players are living on past glories at the moment and not enough youngsters are coming through. 
    Baffling why so many batters are out of form. And why so many are injured now. 

There does seem to be a downturn from last season in the CC, which makes you wonder whether Gidman replacing ten Doeschate is a factor.
    In the cases of say Cox and Muyeye a batting coach might be able to help but I'm a bit loathe to blaming them when it comes to players who have been pros for over a decade - they know if they have technical issues and can recognise it by just looking at footage of themselves. Sometimes it just comes down to poor decision making not helped by constant switching from white to red ball - Cox and Denly, for example, who did OK in the Blast. Equally, Denly did well last season in the CC but was awful in 2021 when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings.
    Players at other counties seem to be coping better than us...
    Perhaps that's the point. They are better at doing so. And better batsmen because they can do that. How many of ours average 35 in the CC in their career and how many at Surrey do so?
    Thinking about that, the likes of Pope, Burns, Sibley, Latham and Foakes haven't been playing T20 and Jacks and Abbott are the only one who have been successful in both. Compton is the only one of ours that hasn't been playing red and white ball whereas Muyeye, DBD, Denly, Billings, Leaning and Cox all have. The benefits of having a massive squad. 
    Ain't that the truth ! 
  • 102-2 off 41 overs at tea so 248 behind

Geddes 36* (95)
    Leaning 10* (22)
  • edited July 2023
    Just about had it with Compton. 

Feeling very unhappy about the state of our squad at present and wondering how the morale is. 
    I think that, with the departure of Downton, there will be a major shake up and that might include Matt Walker. Injuries really haven't helped and having to use 23 players really isn't great but too many players are living on past glories at the moment and not enough youngsters are coming through. 

There does seem to be a downturn from last season in the CC, which makes you wonder whether Gidman replacing ten Doeschate is a factor.
    In the cases of say Cox and Muyeye a batting coach might be able to help but I'm a bit loathe to blaming them when it comes to players who have been pros for over a decade - they know if they have technical issues and can recognise it by just looking at footage of themselves. Sometimes it just comes down to poor decision making not helped by constant switching from white to red ball - Cox and Denly, for example, who did OK in the Blast. Equally, Denly did well last season in the CC but was awful in 2021 when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings.
    Perhaps that's the point. They are better at doing so. And better batsmen because they can do that. How many of ours average 35 in the CC in their career and how many at Surrey do so?
    Thinking about that, the likes of Pope, Burns, Sibley, Latham and Foakes haven't been playing T20 and Jacks and Abbott are the only one who have been successful in both. Compton is the only one of ours that hasn't been playing red and white ball whereas Muyeye, DBD, Denly, Billings, Leaning and Cox all have. The benefits of having a massive squad. 
    Latham wasn't registered for the T20 blast, Pope would obviously have played was with England. Foakes took a little break after being dropped by England and then played one T20 but due to the balance of the side under Batty's philosophy we only play 3 batsmen and one of them must keep so Smith got the nod over Foakes. You might as well play me and you if you're gonna pick Burns and Sibley in a T20.
  • Just about had it with Compton. 

Latham wasn't registered for the T20 blast, Pope would obviously have played was with England. Foakes took a little break after being dropped by England and then played one T20 but due to the balance of the side under Batty's philosophy we only play 3 batsmen and one of them must keep so Smith got the nod over Foakes. You might as well play me and you if you're gonna pick Burns and Sibley in a T20.
    But that's the point I'm trying to make. Six of Kent's seven batsmen have to play in both. We don't have the luxury of those extra three or four batsmen. We don't have that choice between Smith and Foakes. Or two openers that don't play T20. Equally, we don't have Tom Curran, Sam Curran and Laurie Evans who played 47 Blast games and just one CC match between them. That is what a big squad gives you. So much so that you have to send out on loan a talented youngster like Geddes because he can't get a game. We can't even find a youngster when we have half a dozen batsmen out. 
  • It's raining and no play so far post tea. 
  • Warwickshire 189-4 at close and exactly 50 ahead of Middlesex
  • Ed Moore.(Minster) and James Bazeley {Sandwich )added to the Kent 50 over squad....
  • Do we have a definitive list of our lads who'll be playing in the Hundred ( spit) ? 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Ed Moore.(Minster) and James Bazeley {Sandwich )added to the Kent 50 over squad....
    That's interesting. For those that aren't familiar with Kent club cricket, Moore is South African A and played for Minster for the last 5 seasons averaging almost 60 with the bat and bowls spin too though that is definitely the lesser of his two disciplines. Bazeley has played plenty of Big Bash cricket and is a quick bowling all rounder. This is his first season playing club cricket in England. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we have a definitive list of our lads who'll be playing in the Hundred ( spit) ? 
    As far as I am aware:

Crawley
    Billings
    DBD
    Klaassen
    Cox
    Muyeye

Leaving us, in theory:

Compton
    Denly
    Leaning
    Finch
    Blake
    O'Riordan
    Evison
    Logan
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Quinn
    Stewart
    Singh (Jas)
    Bhuiyan
    Hogan
    Parkinson
    Moore
    Bazley
  • Pedro45 said:
    Ed Moore.(Minster) and James Bazeley {Sandwich )added to the Kent 50 over squad....
    That's interesting. For those that aren't familiar with Kent club cricket, Moore is South African A and played for Minster for the last 5 seasons averaging almost 60 with the bat and bowls spin too though that is definitely the lesser of his two disciplines. Bazeley has played plenty of Big Bash cricket and is a quick bowling all rounder. This is his first season playing club cricket in England. 
    A handy pair to have playing locally. I wonder if Bazley came over this summer, half expecting to get a 50 over callup?
  • Thanks, AA.
  • Pedro45 said:
    A handy pair to have playing locally. I wonder if Bazley came over this summer, half expecting to get a 50 over callup?
    That is a possibility. Let's face it, anyone with decent credentials and performing well at top club level has a chance to get in our 50 over squad. Bazley played, as far as I can recall, one Kent 2s T20 this season whereas Moore hasn't played any from memory. 
  • And the top six are all Test hosting and Hundred hosting grounds with the biggest county squads anyway
  • Geddes out without adding to his overnight score
  • The ball is absolutely hooping at Trent Bridge
  • Down in Hampshire, Essex are keeping Surrey honest and will require 83 runs to win.

Porter completes his second 5'fer of the match
  • Clark Moriarty Worrall and Foakes have either been last minute called up or strongly rumoured to be so actually 16 unavailable for Surrey. Marginally better than the 18 we lost last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Down in Hampshire, Essex are keeping Surrey honest and will require 83 runs to win.

Porter completes his second 5'fer of the match
    Rain hampering Surrey.
  • Middlesex need 94 runs in their second innings to beat Warwickshire
  • Leaning out for 38 (100). Frustrating because all four of the batsman that have been dismissed have actually got themselves in with scores of 14, 36, 37 and 38 but not kicked on

170-4 and 180 behind
  • Come on Blakey 

• 184-4 when rain arrives 2 balls before lunch. 166 runs behind

Finch 32* (82)
    Blake 16* (17)

• So do we do a synchronised rain dance or just nominate @Fanny Fanackapan? As try as I might, I cannot see much beyond another defeat here if Notts are given time enough to engineer one.
  • So do we do a synchronised rain dance or just nominate @Fanny Fanackapan? As try as I might, I cannot see much beyond another defeat here if Notts are given time enough to engineer one.
    I'm inclined to hope for a torrential downpour, lasting at least 30 hours at Edgbaston , ks.
  • STOP PRESS ! 

Aussie, James Bazley has been signed for the duration of the 50 overs comp. 

Thoughts ? 
  • Pedro45 said:
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/bazley-joins-kent-spitfires-for-metro-bank-one-day-cup/?utm_source=Kent County Cricket Club&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14044663_JB Reveal&dm_i=1NLC,8D0XJ,B6NWUV,YGK14,1

No official confirmation re Moore though
  • STOP PRESS ! 

Aussie, James Bazley has been signed for the duration of the 50 overs comp. 

Thoughts ? 
    It's convenient for all. Decent enough player who won't be stepping up much on the level he has played at in Australia be if Sheffield Shield or the Big Bash