Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: CHARLTON ATHLETIC v CHELTENHAM TOWN / FRIDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2022 7.45pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Have we played the most league and cup games this season (inc replays etc)?
  • Options
    I dread to think the state we could be in come the Brighton game.  I think our only saving grace is that it’s the first game back after the WC.  I can’t imagine teams will just be able to re-sync so quickly after a month of not playing together. 

Even with a full strength team, given our form and the likelihood we could lose a couple more between now and then, I think we’ll really struggle.  I think Wednesday against Stockport could be bad enough 
  • Options
    How is it that a Charlton player can make a great run and the man in possession just ignores him,why do we do it? Time and time again,Fraser and Payne two classic examples. Is there a lot of resentment or dislike between certain players in the team? Clare bombs forward--great,give him the chance to put a player in on goal or find a diagonal runner and he stops and passes inside or backwards. Our coaching is,and has been for years and years(even you Mr Day),hopeless.What do they try to improve in practice,running around stupid cones?
    Small clubs show us how to play and you can see their players have had no let-up in their training to achieve the most from not a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    Having injuries to key players affected Bowyer, Adkins, Jackson and now Garner.
    Not having certain positions covered for two years is ridiculous. Left back to name just one !

Ben Garner is trying to get Chas and Dave to perform classical music at the Albert hall when maybe a good old knees up at Albert Square would be more fitting for this Charlton squad bereft of quality and numbers in so many positions.

No I don't mean Hoof effing ball but quality diagonal balls with an ability to increase the tempo. Mix and bloody match.
    Who of the injured players would definitely have played last night ? 
    Wollacott, Egbo, O'Connell, CBT, Leaburn.

Add in the suspended Stockley (whether he fits the style of play or not), and that's more than half the first team missing. 
    I’m not sure any bar the keeper and O’Connell are consistent and guaranteed starters. 

By the way, I don’t want rid of Garner .  The squad is awful and I don’t think anyone else would do any better .  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Not having certain positions covered for two years is ridiculous. Left back to name just one !

Ben Garner is trying to get Chas and Dave to perform classical music at the Albert hall when maybe a good old knees up at Albert Square would be more fitting for this Charlton squad bereft of quality and numbers in so many positions.

No I don't mean Hoof effing ball but quality diagonal balls with an ability to increase the tempo. Mix and bloody match.
    Wollacott, Egbo, O'Connell, CBT, Leaburn.

Add in the suspended Stockley (whether he fits the style of play or not), and that's more than half the first team missing. 
    I’m not sure any bar the keeper and O’Connell are consistent and guaranteed starters. 

By the way, I don’t want rid of Garner .  The squad is awful and I don’t think anyone else would do any better .  
    If fit then Egbo and Leaburn would almost certainly be starting in this team.
  • Options
    Our corners were fine yesterday. They'd clearly been working on something as Fraser and Morgan were working together on them, taking them short.

What we lacked was height and aerial dominance, other than Inniss. The likes of DJ, JRS, Mitchell and Ness aren't going to terrify defences in the air.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    With TS owning the club, it will get no better. Garner is unproven and squad is nowhere near good enough.

Nothing to inspire us fans and we have a hard time ahead.

Not seen Charlton this low since the early 1980s - its really depressing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The morning after the night before. I'm not angry or disappointed, just sad that a team I have supported for over 50 years is moving head long into oblivion.

Let's be honest, apart from the Curbs golden age and a few other seasons we've been struggling most of this time. But I had always thought the players we had were (mostly) good pros who may not have been the greatest but cared. (For example, think Bolder, Nelson, Walsh, Webster from our time at West ham). So the hope was always there that a good run could see us promoted.

That hope for me is now gone and last night just confirmed it. We have a squad of players who aren't good enough or just injury prone. The only two who would fetch a fee who played last night would surely be Dobson and Clare .

The really sad thing for me is if you have young kids, how on earth would you get them to support us now? And so hhe next generation of fans is disappearing before our eyes.

It's all been said about TS and Garner. No need for me to repeat it. All I would say is unless something changes quickly we are in a downward spiral. Who knows where that will finish. You only have to look at the great old names in the National league to see where it might end. And don't think unless something changes soon that can't happen to us.
    Totally agree - 100% on the money 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    With TS owning the club, it will get no better. Garner is unproven and squad is nowhere near good enough.

We've not been this low since the 1920's
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The morning after the night before. I'm not angry or disappointed, just sad that a team I have supported for over 50 years is moving head long into oblivion.

Let's be honest, apart from the Curbs golden age and a few other seasons we've been struggling most of this time. But I had always thought the players we had were (mostly) good pros who may not have been the greatest but cared. (For example, think Bolder, Nelson, Walsh, Webster from our time at West ham). So the hope was always there that a good run could see us promoted.

That hope for me is now gone and last night just confirmed it. We have a squad of players who aren't good enough or just injury prone. The only two who would fetch a fee who played last night would surely be Dobson and Clare .

The really sad thing for me is if you have young kids, how on earth would you get them to support us now? And so hhe next generation of fans is disappearing before our eyes.

It's all been said about TS and Garner. No need for me to repeat it. All I would say is unless something changes quickly we are in a downward spiral. Who knows where that will finish. You only have to look at the great old names in the National league to see where it might end. And don't think unless something changes soon that can't happen to us.
    Well, it might. But there aren’t any clubs of Charlton’s standing in the last 25, 50 or 100 years in the National League.
  • Options
    First post match comment from me. I’ve almost lost any energy to comment all all. It’s the same ol’ shit every game Same hope and the same shit served up. We are in a relegation battle. I’ve been saying that for weeks. I’ve never ever ever ever felt as bad about Charlton Athletic as I do now. I never would have dreamt that I would ever feel like this. But, from me, all hope is gone. We have all been well and truly shafted by an owner who promised so much and has delivered so little. What a mess our club is!! 
    Come on Varney, weave some magic. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Booing won't help
    Not having that , a good boooing has helped this season and the none boooooing leads to shit like yesterday .
    booooo these shit , worst ever footballers for Charlton ,  they can’t get any worse and it may get them trying harder 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

O'Connell, Egbo, Wollacott, Leaburn
  • Options
    Were people actually complaining about the offside? 

He was miles off. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Using my technological skills I've managed to recreate VAR on my computer - it shows Kirk is clearly on side  :|

Yes I too thought is was a decent Goal.
    Yet another second rate league one WANKER referee 🤣👎👎
    It wasnt. It was clearly offside.

Stop your betamax when he kicks the ball and have another look.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Booing won't help
    Not having that , a good boooing has helped this season and the none boooooing leads to shit like yesterday .
    booooo these shit , worst ever footballers for Charlton ,  they can’t get any worse and it may get them trying harder 
    Unless over utilised, it then loses its impact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Couldn’t bring myself to read about yesterday, just so thoroughly depressing. 

But of the positives:

- Mitchell was an excellent debut from a 17yr old in an unsettled team
    - Ness looked improved and much more competent than previous cameos
    - Clare was excellent, head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch
    the pitch looks in very good nick given we’re now in December
    - Beer in fans bar and around ground is much improved. Peroni out a Peroni glass went down nicely 

Don’t know what we were all moaning about… :-) 
    On a serious note, I do always try to take something positive in every game. Everyone is agreed that Ness, Mitchell & Clare played really well. We did generally retain the ball really well plus we did attack with a lot more vigour/purpose in the 2nd half.

The downsides of those positives;  Ness & Mitchell didn't actually have much defending to do (the Cheltenham forward was woeful), Clare has a habit of regressing after a good game and for all our 2nd half purpose, we still created very little.

It was an odd game. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

But of the positives:

- Beer in fans bar and around ground is much improved. Peroni out a Peroni glass went down nicely 

On a serious note, I do always try to take something positive in every game. Everyone is agreed that Ness, Mitchell & Clare played really well. We did generally retain the ball really well plus we did attack with a lot more vigour/purpose in the 2nd half.

The downsides of those positives;  Ness & Mitchell didn't actually have much defending to do (the Cheltenham forward was woeful), Clare has a habit of regressing after a good game and for all our 2nd half purpose, we still created very little.

It was an odd game. 
    That just leaves the Peroni! :-) 
  • Options
    Fans to Sandgaard - “There is no good news, only bad news and irrelevant news”

Sandgaard - “I think the pitch being playable in December is generally considered good news” 

• Options
    My seats next to the directors box , some fella boomed out ‘fuck off thomas at full time’ which he definitely would have heard .
    there’s always a few scouts near us spoke to one for ages and he said plenty of interest in leaburn and there’s worries that rak sakyi is up all night playing PlayStation and comes in half a Kip🙄
    That's a very specific thing to boom out ;)
  • Options
    Yep it was just ‘fuck off thomas’ at full time 😂
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

But of the positives:

It was an odd game. 
    That just leaves the Peroni! :-) 
    Every cloud as they say AFKA...😉
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    With TS owning the club, it will get no better. Garner is a proven muppet and squad is nowhere near good enough.

fixed it for you