Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: CHARLTON ATHLETIC v CHELTENHAM TOWN / FRIDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2022 7.45pm KO

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I don't expect much when we've got two wingers up front.

Thought second half we were quite good but no real chances. 

Failed to get the ball to Chuks which was very disappointing.

The two youth CBs did well and especially Mitchell who looked very comfortable on the ball.

Cheltenham the poorest team I've seen at The Valley this year. They had nothing. 

MacG is a miserable goalkeeper. 

They have right fcked this up.
  • Options
    I think this is possibly the lowest I’ve ever felt about the club 
    I used to see people moaning on here and think you should have seen some of the teams of the 70s and 80s. Then you would really moan.

We have gone well beyond that now. We are worse than anything I have seen since I first attended in 69.

Even at our abject worst before we had the hope that next match we would put in a match winning performance.  I remember going to a match after three defeats on the spin (Port Vale, Grimsby and one other, I think) and thinking why do I bother and we won.

I've already written off Morecambe and Stockport. I'd normally say "hope over expectation" but I'd say right now there is no hope and the expectation is dismal.

With Varney bringing in new owners all I can think of is when we were set to be the worlds biggest club and Zabeel ..as Balotelli would say, why is it always us?
  • Options
    Well, i've had better Friday nights - bought a load of overpriced shit in the club shop coz id underestimated how cold it was, watched a load of boring, turgid round the back crap, in an empty stadium , against a shit non league club (i know but come on, cheltenham , a small horsey town) and lost. And to top it all our game was my pick in a 'both teams to score' betting group i'm in with 10 mates so i've ruined our chances for the whole weekend before its started - only bright side is anything charlton is now out of the way for for the weekend.   
  • Options
    best we can hope for is varney's man comes in, invests in jan with a view to taking over at the end of the season and ts walks away with, a 'thanks for saving us but best for all parties if we say goodbye'  -  long drawn out transfer saga is not what we need although i guess its preferable to nothing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Embarrassing. Mac only had to take a step back and he could have caught the ball. Very poor.
  • Options
    We will never know if Garner is a decent manager.
    Sandgaard will not give him the resources to build a team. Any new owners will sack him.
  • Options
    Absolute shit show that Garner doesn’t know the budget for Jan.

The club completely screwed up the last window & left us short in multiple areas. MS, SG & the recruitment team have had 4 months to put together a plan to put that right but I have zero confidence that they will.
    Most of us on here could probably take an educated guess at the budget for January. I expect it will be similar to Southall's infamous transfer deadline day budget.

If TS wants out he's hardly likely to go splashing the cash is he? I expect a defender and striker on loan will be about it, but i hope i'm wrong.
  • Options
    I’m not sure how some people can say  Garner is a good manager and with right backing would do well. On what evidence? 

no doubt he was stitched up by the chairman with thin squad but I’m sorry we should be preforming a lot better than this . I can’t even listen to his post match interviews anymore. Repetitive cringe. 

He has to go imo. 
    And who on earth (who is any good that is!) would come HERE!
  • Options
    Absolute shit show that Garner doesn’t know the budget for Jan.

The club completely screwed up the last window & left us short in multiple areas. MS, SG & the recruitment team have had 4 months to put together a plan to put that right but I have zero confidence that they will.
    I'm pretty sure Garner does know what the budget will be in January. He just can't say when questioned as its Nothing. Zilch. Zero. 

You seriously telling me the owner has been over all week & Garner hasn't had the time (or been given the time) to talk to TS about the January window ?? TS has been cutting corners left right & centre and if he is in discussions about selling the club he ain't going to be spending money that doesnt have to. 

• Options
    That performance was numbing.

As soon as I saw we had no strikers starting and Macca in goal I feared the worst, they wasn’t good, but I am glad TS had to sit through it, I’m sure his response will be to pull the trigger, but it solves absolutely nothing, you can build anything with a revolving door policy.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I’m not sure how some people can say  Garner is a good manager and with right backing would do well. On what evidence? 

no doubt he was stitched up by the chairman with thin squad but I’m sorry we should be preforming a lot better than this . I can’t even listen to his post match interviews anymore. Repetitive cringe. 

He has to go imo. 
    And who on earth (who is any good that is!) would come HERE!
    No idea but that’s not a reason to keep Garner.
    Maybe get someone in till end of the season to steady the ship and get the best out of this limited squad so we don’t get sucked into relegation fight. (good job bottom 4 look so poor)
    These tactics do not work in league 1 and we have shown no progress whatsoever. 

• Options
    Heaven help us. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anybody got any inside info about the actual through the door attendance figure?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    best we can hope for is varney's man comes in, invests in jan with a view to taking over at the end of the season and ts walks away with, a 'thanks for saving us but best for all parties if we say goodbye'  -  long drawn out transfer saga is not what we need although i guess its preferable to nothing 
    I hope that if we do get someone in via Varney, they understand how broken the club is and the size of the task at hand.  We can’t have another owner or owners coming into this thinking a few quid on some players, a new manager and we go again.  For want of a better analogy, given the house buying one has been done to death, realise you are taking on an old building that needs extensive work and it’s not going to be something you quickly do up and sell on.  If you want any sort of success you need to be prepared to be in it for years, and I do mean years 
  • Options
    So much for the dynamic senior management team that Sandgaard boasted about.  It all seems rather wishy washy to me.

From Louis' report it seems they hardly speak.  Garner says that he has no clue to the budget or policy for January and three times he mentions the brevity of his conversations with Sandgaard - and by implication it seems he can only assume what Gallen is thinking.  Surely recruitment in January should be an absolute priority with the three man team (oh and Martin) in a cohesive force working with a plan.

(From Louis' report).

When asked how his conversations with his boss have gone this week, Garner said: “They’ve been fine. I haven’t really had too many conversations"  [with Sandgaard].

“We spoke briefly about recruitment for January and that’s it". 

“We had a brief conversation about January"

But is Garner confident he will be given the funds needed to add to his squad in January?

He said: “I don’t know is the honest answer. I’ll give my suggestions to Thomas. I’m sure that Steve [Gallen] will be doing the same from his perspective. Hopefully we can recruit well and add to the group.”

That's just too depressing to read.

The manager is clearly saying that he has no idea if he is able to bring in the players to fill positions that the team has lacked all season - and urgently needs.

Whether Garnerball is successful or not, the manager sounds like he despairs he won't be given the chance to improve his squad.
    Or even if he'll still be the manager.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    LOL I suppose he can't really say he's recalled a youngster because he's been so awful

Sandgaard won't get rid of Garner, will cost him a fair bit of money and if he is looking to sell he will want to save as much money as possible 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I hope that if we do get someone in via Varney, they understand how broken the club is and the size of the task at hand.  We can’t have another owner or owners coming into this thinking a few quid on some players, a new manager and we go again.  For want of a better analogy, given the house buying one has been done to death, realise you are taking on an old building that needs extensive work and it’s not going to be something you quickly do up and sell on.  If you want any sort of success you need to be prepared to be in it for years, and I do mean years 
    Our fans need to understand this as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    One of them is his son isn't it. No not the one with the scarf over her head...