Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: CHARLTON ATHLETIC v CHELTENHAM TOWN / FRIDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2022 7.45pm KO

Comments

• Options
    another shocker, as becomes increasingly obvious as time goes on, we are shambolic from top to bottom, from owner, to management to team .. looking for a light in the bleak darkness ? .. a couple of promising youngsters were given games .. let's hope they are not too demoralised by the experience
  • Options
    What fumes elicit the concept of cultural issues?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Hal1x said:
    I’m not sure how some people can say  Garner is a good manager and with right backing would do well. On what evidence? 

no doubt he was stitched up by the chairman with thin squad but I’m sorry we should be preforming a lot better than this . I can’t even listen to his post match interviews anymore. Repetitive cringe. 

He has to go imo. 
    And who on earth (who is any good that is!) would come HERE!
    No idea but that’s not a reason to keep Garner.
    Maybe get someone in till end of the season to steady the ship and get the best out of this limited squad so we don’t get sucked into relegation fight. (good job bottom 4 look so poor)
    These tactics do not work in league 1 and we have shown no progress whatsoever. 

Sorry, I would say that its vitally important who the replacement would be, and how he could work with a budget made even smaller by Garners pay off. As to the tactics being at fault, what tactics? I cant see anything substantially different to how any other manager sets a team up, just that we have a shortage of quality players. Change for just change sake rarely proves to be successful.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ⚽️ 🤬 🤐
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Just watched the highlights. What a mess and I don’t mean the abject defending and lack of desire. It’s the general treacle that’s seeped into every corner of the club and ground it to a halt. 

This is the lowest I’ve felt in 35 years of supporting CAFC.

Don't worry theres a lot lower we can still go....
  • Options
    A prime example of how not to own and run a football club. Stick your ego in your guitar case and get a one way ticket from Heathrow and never come back 
  • Options
    Looks off to me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's similar to my view from the Curbs stand, and I thought he was off at the time. A shame, as it was nearly a decent run and goal.
  • Options
    Oi Sandgaard 
    If you are reading this 

Just sell the club and fuck off 
        Unfortunately I have to agree with you.
        We need a proper Striker.
        The amount of games we could have won this season and not drawn of lost if we had a serious 
    first division striker we could have won taking our chances correctly and shooting on target.

Our owner appears to be full of Bullshit and cannot invest properly in this club.
    ” We will be in the premiership in 5 years” he said ……..,,,,smell the roses 🌹 and either invest properly in our club or Fuck Off please.

no doubt our next trip to Stockport will end in 
    frustration and disappointment 👎👎👎
  • Options
    After today's results we are now 17th in the League.....how crap is that!! Relegation battle looms I fear. Its not going to be an easy 2nd half of the season, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Garner getting a fair bit of stick on here, but is he really the problem? I honestly feel that with the right backing he'd actually be a good manager for us.

Pretty obvious he's been stitched up by Sandgaard and not given what he wanted, and on top of that we've got a number of injuries to key players.
    Agree, but trying to force a style of play on to players that you don’t have is stupid, it’s fine to have your playing principles but if you don’t have the right tools then adapt to what you have. 
    How did you manage to say in one sentence exactly that which took me half a page to write?  :smile:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Kirk looks clearly offside I’m afraid. 

That’s not quite a true image, as by the time the ball is struck the two defenders have dropped a yard or two making it a closer call with Kirk.
  • Options

A good advertisement 

"Come and make a bid for owning Charlton! You'll probably lose weight due to stress, you'll get frustrated, depressed and lose a lot of money but just pay up it'll be great!"
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A lot of growing dissent against Garner.

But what tactics WOULD work WITH THESE PLAYERS? At least we put on a sustained performance in the second half and looked comfortable, even threatening at times (until calamity struck). At least he has a system of playing. The players look like they buy into it. Throw it in the bin and what then? Two banks of four, play direct? With what strikers, I ask? 
    I don’t believe we’d be in a much different place in the table if Garner had pulled the first XI out of a different shaped hat every week, had never practised any tactics at all and gave the same team talk of “play like you used to do in the school playground”, I reckon that’s enough to get you five miserably scrappy wins in THE SHITTY THIRD DIVISION
  • Options
    Good news 7 points off playoffs, bad news 7 points off relegation 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably didn't expect to get the ball.  
  • Options
    Stockport win 5-0 away today. Let's hope they spare us too much embarrassment on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Briston Addick said:
    JFK no longer available: had to retire, head injury!

Sorry mate typo I mean't Jake Foster Caskey (JFC) in case you didn't realise!
    Agree with Hoof-it-up, Stockport winning 5-0 away at Hartlepools
    doesn't look good for our no hopers on Wednesday!
  • Options
    Briston Addick said:
    JFK no longer available: had to retire, head injury!

Sorry mate typo I mean't Jake Foster Caskey (JFC) in case you didn't realise!
    Agree with Hoof-it-up, Stockport winning 5-0 away at Hartlepools
    doesn't look good for our no hopers on Wednesday!
    Stockport are a well run club and in good form and we're a shambles at present. 

Nobody will fear playing us especially with our comedy defending.

We surely can't get much worse...

• Options
    Agree, but trying to force a style of play on to players that you don’t have is stupid, it’s fine to have your playing principles but if you don’t have the right tools then adapt to what you have. 
    100%. agree with this!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    There is belief that signings will be made in the January window, to correct the shortfalls in the squad, even Garner has bought into it.  Quite simply TS will not spend a penny more and any signing will be a loan or a free, with all the risks that type of signing carries. I can see our injured players returning and wins being gained to bring the league position back to around mid table but then Sandgaards nous or lack of it will be found out again as we hit suspensions and another injury crisis to drag us towards the bottom four 
  • Options
    What else can I have a moan about today .....? :smile:

Ah, yes. Set pieces.

Just about every successful side, no matter how expansive their style of football, scores goals from set pieces.
    Corners, edge of the box direct free kicks - even indirect attacking free kicks, there's a little routine to conjure a chance out of nothing.

Our set pieces? Corners nearly always come to nothing. Free kicks invariably go backwards and get lost in the depths of midfield or hand the initiative to the opposition. We are either predictable or indecisive. 

Certainly we appear to have little conviction of scoring a goal from set pieces or carry any real threat.

A strategy for winning penalty kicks is not in our repertoire either.
    Other teams make it almost an art form and know how valuable scoring a goal from a penalty kick can be.

There are goals to be scored from set pieces - especially when you are struggling to break down packed defences from open play.
    It could be the difference between snatching a narrow win or rescuing a point.

So ..... why don't we score goals from set pieces? Surely they get practiced at the training ground?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ah, yes. Set pieces.

Just about every successful side, no matter how expansive their style of football, scores goals from set pieces.
    Corners, edge of the box direct free kicks - even indirect attacking free kicks, there's a little routine to conjure a chance out of nothing.

Our set pieces? Corners nearly always come to nothing. Free kicks invariably go backwards and get lost in the depths of midfield or hand the initiative to the opposition. We are either predictable or indecisive. 

Certainly we appear to have little conviction of scoring a goal from set pieces or carry any real threat.

Other teams make it almost an art form and know how valuable scoring a goal from a penalty kick can be.

There are goals to be scored from set pieces - especially when you are struggling to break down packed defences from open play.

So ..... why don't we score goals from set pieces? Surely they get practiced at the training ground?

We even struggle with throw ins at present. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ah, yes. Set pieces.

Didn't Garner say back in preseason that "we don't/ haven't worked on set pieces"

Good to see it paying off now 🙃