Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v France - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Usually I am full of loathing for the team that beats us …. But if it’s France v Argies, I still think I would want France to win 
    That’s a given for any English fan.
    Why?

I might be missing something here, but for neither of the G.O.A.T players to not win the world cup would be a travesty. 

Though Morocco get my backing! 
    Are you unaware of the history and bad vibes rivalry we have with them……this goes back to 1966 and was made even worse when Maradona cheated us.
    Off the pitch they also dislike us for the Falklands war and the sinking of the Belgrano……all of which added to the mutual feelings of antipathy.
    I am surprised you needed to ask.
     So because of what happened before I was alive I should dislike them? The off the pitch stuff has nothing to do with my views on a nation now, I'd argue they were right to be pissed off for the Falklands war. 

I think the single good point is the hand of God, but that was forever ago. 

Some of you seriously need to learn to move on! 

Know your history Daz.
    Yes Britain never forced itself on another country ever against the will of the people?
    Do you honestly think we don’t all know that…..FFS fella.
  • Options
    A major, if unromantic, reason for Morocco's success is that they have an awful lot of European players. Ones born in Europe and developed by clubs in the major leagues in Europe, and who could have played for France, Netherlands or Spain.

Indeed there are an incredible number of French born players in the tournament. Enough for two squads  :)
    Ironic that in 98 half there team weren't.
  • Options
    This is a football thread, let’s keep it that way please 
  • Options
    there was a thread on here about club or country. Circumstances were a bit ott but i have to say i was more bothered by us losing to Stockport than last nights game. Glad there was a frozen pitch in morcombe otherwise it could really have been a bad weekend. 
  • Options
    Eurgh, some shite posted on here 
  • Options
    After 24 hours, I have to say France edged it. Obviously that’s a fact they took their 2 goals well from open play where as we came close on a couple of occasions, notably the second half header skimming the post. We didn’t match the French in the first half who's passing was way more accurate and decisive compared to ours. The second half was a good game of football but we were chasing the game, we gave it a good go. 
    2 penalties, shame we only scored 1 but that’s football, nothing is a given. We were, after all, playing the World Cup winners and quite possibly this years winners to. 
    The only real thing I think would have helped us would have been a quality ref. The one last night was below what is required for a quarter final. How he missed the second penalty first time round summed up his whole performance, below average. 
    For the first time in many years I feel we actually have a fine group of young players with  depth in numbers and talent right across the pitch. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some key players for us in the next few years for me:

1) Reece James. Guys total class and will be right up there with the best defenders in the Euros in 2024.

2) Harvey Elliott. Henderson likely played his last tournament. Elliott, Bellingham and Rice would be a dynamic midfield 3.

3) Joe Gomez. More hope than anything …. But with no injuries (think when Gomez had Neymar in his pocket) he would have been a game changer 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Usually I am full of loathing for the team that beats us …. But if it’s France v Argies, I still think I would want France to win 
    Why?

I might be missing something here, but for neither of the G.O.A.T players to not win the world cup would be a travesty. 

Are you unaware of the history and bad vibes rivalry we have with them……this goes back to 1966 and was made even worse when Maradona cheated us.
    Off the pitch they also dislike us for the Falklands war and the sinking of the Belgrano……all of which added to the mutual feelings of antipathy.
     So because of what happened before I was alive I should dislike them? The off the pitch stuff has nothing to do with my views on a nation now, I'd argue they were right to be pissed off for the Falklands war. 

Know your history Daz.
    Yes Britain never forced itself on another country ever against the will of the people?
    But that's not what you said is it? You said, "I'd argue they were right to be pissed off for the Falklands War", but you still haven't said why and seem to be backtracking now.
  • Options
    After 24 hours, I have to say France edged it. Obviously that’s a fact they took their 2 goals well from open play where as we came close on a couple of occasions, notably the second half header skimming the post. We didn’t match the French in the first half who's passing was way more accurate and decisive compared to ours. The second half was a good game of football but we were chasing the game, we gave it a good go. 
    2 penalties, shame we only scored 1 but that’s football, nothing is a given. We were, after all, playing the World Cup winners and quite possibly this years winners to. 
    The only real thing I think would have helped us would have been a quality ref. The one last night was below what is required for a quarter final. How he missed the second penalty first time round summed up his whole performance, below average. 
    For the first time in many years I feel we actually have a fine group of young players with  depth in numbers and talent right across the pitch. 

Thin dividing line though between Giroud's header deflecting off Maguire and going in, and Maguire's hitting the post.  Or the French first goal going in, and Kane's shot being saved...
  • Options

Thin dividing line though between Giroud's header deflecting off Maguire and going in, and Maguire's hitting the post.  Or the French first goal going in, and Kane's shot being saved...
    There are fine margins in sport and that was certainly the case in this game. Both sides could have won.

We have a decent squad and need to focus on the positives.  
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Lloris is overdue a howler...
    As I said to my Spurs mates last night, thats the best game Lloris has had in years.  He was outstanding.

Even more a killer to get a message off my French mate to say he thought they were very much second best all game.  Feel flat as a bloody pancake today.
    My hubby is a Spurs fan.
    It infuriates him that he’s champions league for France & Sunday league for Spurs 😂😂
  • Options
    I thought Walker did an outstanding job negating the efforts of Mbapee the world’s “best” player. I guess that makes Walker the world’s “best” defender!
  • Options
    Read this online and thought it was the perfect summary of English football…

“Tchouameni hit the perfect shot. Griezmann hit the perfect cross. In a very even, high level game that’s what it takes to make the difference.

England can play well enough in the big matches but we don’t capitalise on those perfect moments.

Maradona scores goal of the century - that’s too good so we lose. Ronaldinho 40 yard free kick into the top corner - that’s too good so we lose. Michael Owen scores the goal of the tournament? Beckham gets sent off 2nd half - we lose.

England have the quality and team ethic but the matchplay and winning mentality is still very much missing. The game tonight was there to be won but nobody actually stepped up and produced the match-winning moment.

In a one-off game you would say that’s random chance but it’s been the story of England on the international stage for the last 60 years (or forever if you take away a home world cup). The gap between “playing well enough to win” and actually going out there and making it happen remains England’s barrier to success.”
    How do you change the mentality? When Kane had the penalty I fully expected him to score and us to go onto win.

The knockout defeats against Croatia and Iraly both felt like we lost due to a lack of self belief. We still seem stuck with that.

You need to take your chances....
  • Options
    The way I see it, we have a good hand in terms of the young players we have. Prior to the next World Cup, hopefully the older players we lose will be replaced by better ones. We were one of the top teams in ths one but when you are one of the top teams you can still go out. To cut out the risk of that it helps to be the best team in it which we could well be in four years with a fair wind.
  • Options
    the best footballing team on the night won. England's 1st half effort was pathetic with slow sideways/backwards passing and nothing on par with France's attacking intent.
    As soon as England come up against a top team in a competition they loose.
    Apart from Germany last year. *

*Awaits "ah yes but that was the worst German team in XX years, so doesn't count".   

I quote John Boy: "Even more a killer to get a message off my French mate to say he thought they were very much second best all game." 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The country of my birth qualified once to the world cup and scored 1 goal. The country of my residence still calls their team 'The Socceroos', so that gives me special permission  to suffer the pain of others.

The French defence have been dodgy throughout the tournament. England should have adopted the old Brazilian moto of 'however many goals you score, we will score one more'.
    Force the opposition to play a league game style football.
    Pressure pressure pressure
    Or maybe not...
    Anyway...
    England's attack is too democratic - too many people share the ball unnecessarily. If you've got a clever boy in the team (Bellingham, Kane or even Rice) give him a free role let him boss the team and spread the ball from the back .

Ah, forgot, I also posses a French passport.
    But it's not my fault !!!
    Mum and dad were Algerians.
    But my grandad was a Moroccan Rabi so not quite Falkland but
    Allez Marroc 🇲🇦

• Options
    the best footballing team on the night won. England's 1st half effort was pathetic with slow sideways/backwards passing and nothing on par with France's attacking intent.

*Awaits "ah yes but that was the worst German team in XX years, so doesn't count".   

I quote John Boy: "Goodnight Grandma." 

• Options

I quote John Boy: "Even more a killer to get a message off my French mate to say he thought they were very much second best all game." 
    The bloke always has a dig at England and then tells you he doesn’t care about them.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why?

Know your history Daz.
    But that's not what you said is it? You said, "I'd argue they were right to be pissed off for the Falklands War", but you still haven't said why and seem to be backtracking now.
    Weird definition of a back track. We had no right to get involved especially given our track record, they were pissed off by our involvement - understandably given our track record. 

I won't comment again on it, because AFKA has politely asked this is kept to Football. 

Bar the hand of god, which was nothing to do with Messi or any of this crop from Argentina, I have no footballing reason to not want to see one of the greatest two footballers of all time win a World Cup. 
  • Options
    Some basics (Ref aside) that could have changed the course of the game were of course the penalty and letting Giroud have a training ground header, without rushing to get goalside of him. Also, we didn't use subs very wisely. This after talking up bench strength all tournament. 

That aside, it was a decent game and the lads all gave 100pc so no complaints about their desire and effort. 

• Options
    In a tight game you do need the rub of the green, which we didn't have on Saturday.

And that's not sour grapes either, as on other occasions in other sports we have had the rub of the green, e.g. that deflection off Stokes' bat for 4 in the 2019 Cricket World Cup Final. 
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    I thought Walker did an outstanding job negating the efforts of Mbapee the world’s “best” player. I guess that makes Walker the world’s “best” defender!
    Fastest player in the England squad apparently 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Bods64 said:
    Fastest player in the England squad apparently 
    At one stage Mbapee went past him as he was a Walker.
  • Options
    In a tight game you do need the rub of the green, which we didn't have on Saturday.

And that's not sour grapes either, as on other occasions in other sports we have had the rub of the green, e.g. that deflection off Stokes' bat for 4 in the 2019 Cricket World Cup Final. 
    You do need the rub of the green, a bit of luck, or a moment of magic to win these games.

We can all point to half a dozen, or more, times England haven't had that in big games but probably less than a handful of times where that one game stopped us winning the tournament.  I would say "if" we had won the games we lost by the finest of margins we might have won 3 tournaments.  90, 96 and obviously 21.  Maybe 2004.

There has been 28 tournaments since we last won one.  That's the problem.  Keep giving ourselves a chance and it will happen.  Fail to qualify, get knocked out in the groups or lose to Iceland and it won't.