Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    Not much good to us, but Fleetwood are doing a pitch inspection at noon.
  • Options

This afternoon’s Sky Bet League One fixture against Bristol Rovers is set to go ahead with a further, precautionary pitch inspection is set to take place at 12.30pm.

The club asked for an FA referee to inspect the pitch at The Valley on Friday afternoon. The referee decided that the game should go ahead as planned, on the condition that there was a morning pitch inspection to evaluate the impact the overnight conditions had on the pitch. 

That second pitch inspection took place on Saturday morning at 10am with today’s referee Sam Allison. Allison was satisfied that more than half the pitch is playable already and was confident that the work of the club's staff and improving weather will have a positive impact on the remaining areas of the pitch, which he will review again, as a precaution, at 12.30pm

The club will keep supporters updated with progress.

• Options
    If it's on i can see it being our lowest attendance on a Saturday for years against for a league match.
  • Options
    Oh the drama….!

• Options
    If it's on i can see it being our lowest attendance on a Saturday for years against for a league match.
    Wont help its part of the World Cup package, so even with the icy conditions... People can opt to stay home in the UK & Ireland and watch it for £10 - Whats the point of risking the travel and finding its off?
  • Options
    So more than half the pitch is playable, not sure if that's good or bad 
  • Options
    A further pitch inspection at 12.30.

Just enough time for the Bristol Rovers fans to arrive before calling it off.
    Twunts. 
  • Options
    I hope they do something re the pavenents near the ground.
  • Options
    Why can't they just make a decision at 10am, it's on...maybe?..🤷‍♂️
    Great, so what do yo do if you have a long trip, stay at home more than likely, just MAN UP and call it off if necessary, sounds like there is a doubt, it's not life or death that the game goes on, but ffs think of any travelling supporters for once
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wont help its part of the World Cup package, so even with the icy conditions... People can opt to stay home in the UK & Ireland and watch it for £10 - Whats the point of risking the travel and finding its off?
    I only live 15 minutes walk away and don't fancy it, i will go but if i had to travel then no chance.
  • Options
    Longer it takes, more likely it’s off 
    I take the opposite view. If it was obviously dangerous, the ref would’ve called it off immediately.
    I imagine that some parts of the pitch are definitely playable, but that there are other problem areas which they are prodding and poking at
    That seems to be the case. The ref and club seem hopeful that by 12:30 those other areas will be ok...
  • Options
    A further pitch inspection at 12.30.

Just enough time for the Bristol Rovers fans to arrive before calling it off.
    Twunts. 
    Or enough time to check the pitch with temperatures above freezing.
  • Options
    I take the opposite view. If it was obviously dangerous, the ref would’ve called it off immediately.
    I imagine that some parts of the pitch are definitely playable, but that there are other problem areas which they are prodding and poking at
    That seems to be the case. The ref and club seem hopeful that by 12:30 those other areas will be ok...
    The lack of regard for supporters in football seems to be something that will never change. 
  • Options
    Good news. Fingers crossed that it’s still all good to go at 12:30
  • Options
    Lingfield races declared yesterday that conditions were raceable for today but had a precautionary inspection at 7.30 today where they found a frozen area.

Had another inspection at 9.30 and declared the meeting off.

Think our game will follow this scenario?

I'm giving it a miss due to the uncertainty.
  • Options
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    Lack of comms. It’s not that difficult to keep people up to date in 2022, and yes it is a priority to keep people informed and engaged.
    Same issues at Bristol Rovers then?

I assume the inspection took time and both clubs relayed it once confirmed. Bristol Rovers according to the picture in attendance for the inspection I infer. 
  • Options
    So more than half the pitch is playable, not sure if that's good or bad 
    Most games recently have been played in one half of the pitch (our half) so it shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The lack of regard for supporters in football seems to be something that will never change. 

Agree, but also anyone travelling can't say they didn't get enough warning, whatever the technicalities and issues behind the scenes. 

I actually think the police will likely call this off even after the ref gives it the ok, based on the pic you posted earlier and general conditions in SE London.
  • Options

Agree, but also anyone travelling can't say they didn't get enough warning, whatever the technicalities and issues behind the scenes. 

I actually think the police will likely call this off even after the ref gives it the ok, based on the pic you posted earlier and general conditions in SE London.
    How much notice is acceptable? I don't think football authorities give travelling supporters much thought?

Evertyhing seems so half-arsed at times. Charlton are obviously not alone in this.
  • Options
    I only live 15 minutes walk away and don't fancy it, i will go but if i had to travel then no chance.

I’m only 10 minutes’ walk away and I’m inclined to give it a miss! 
  • Options
    Hmmm. I have another 40 mins before I have to set off to make it for kick-off. Charlton TV getting more and more tempting however I am still scarred by bailing on the 5-4 Cardiff match due to the weather!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    It’s not faux. We’re sick of TS and his useless sidekick fucking things up.
    I think that's fair for a broad array of things. I haven't followed all of the undersoil heating stuff so apologies if I've missed something, but pitch inspections seem like a part of life at this level. I think we had a game oop North at like Blackpool called off at 2pm a couple of years ago.

Could the comms be better for a litany of things? Yes, absolutely. But in this case, it seems like the club put out a statement as soon as they knew anything.

This is all unfair on supporters, particularly those who have to travel a decent way to the ground. But I think that's part of a larger UK thing in which football fans are not treated particularly well. 
  • Options
    Volunteers are being asked to help shovel snow onto the pitch to ensure the game doesn’t go ahead
    Thomas has already flown in especially to help out with snow adding, in a bid to bolster our league position, by maintaining our goal difference. It might add a couple of more beans to the sale price. 
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Hmmm. I have another 40 mins before I have to set off to make it for kick-off. Charlton TV getting more and more tempting however I am still scarred by bailing on the 5-4 Cardiff match due to the weather!
    I almost missed that … decided at the last moment to go … thankfully! 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    It’s not faux. We’re sick of TS and his useless sidekick fucking things up.
    I think that's fair for a broad array of things. I haven't followed all of the undersoil heating stuff so apologies if I've missed something, but pitch inspections seem like a part of life at this level. I think we had a game oop North at like Blackpool called off at 2pm a couple of years ago.

Could the comms be better for a litany of things? Yes, absolutely. But in this case, it seems like the club put out a statement as soon as they knew anything.

This is all unfair on supporters, particularly those who have to travel a decent way to the ground. But I think that's part of a larger UK thing in which football fans are not treated particularly well. 
    It's a problem in football generally. Supporters are taken for granted...