Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    Only 2 games ON in L2 now, the games at Orient and Barrow surviving
  • Options
    Longer it takes, more likely it’s off 
    I take the opposite view. If it was obviously dangerous, the ref would’ve called it off immediately.
    I imagine that some parts of the pitch are definitely playable, but that there are other problem areas which they are prodding and poking at
    That seems to be the case. The ref and club seem hopeful that by 12:30 those other areas will be ok...
    The lack of regard for supporters in football seems to be something that will never change. 

Agree, but also anyone travelling can't say they didn't get enough warning, whatever the technicalities and issues behind the scenes. 

I actually think the police will likely call this off even after the ref gives it the ok, based on the pic you posted earlier and general conditions in SE London.
    Police have OK’d it.
  • Options
    It’s Charlton TV for me if game gets the go-ahead. First of all the trains and now not knowing until 12.30 if we will play. Not setting off in car with two kids with the possibility of having to turn back. That’s it, decision made. If only the club could make a decision.
  • Options
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    Lack of comms. It’s not that difficult to keep people up to date in 2022, and yes it is a priority to keep people informed and engaged.
    Same issues at Bristol Rovers then?

I assume the inspection took time and both clubs relayed it once confirmed. Bristol Rovers according to the picture in attendance for the inspection I infer. 
    It’s our home game, our pitch and our police liaison and actually I’d expect better comms from Charlton than a club of Rovers size. I doubt their comms staff travel overnight.

You will and do defend anything the club does  but anyone who has worked in comms at the club or local journalism will recognise there is a problem. It’s not the club’s comm staff, it’s the lack of leadership and responsibility, in this case down to Keohane, who has kept the lowest of public profiles since he’s been here. 

The club has no voice but the random nonsense from Sandgaard. Look at other clubs - Millwall, for example, where Steve Kavanagh speaks directly to fans when issues arise. 

Charlton is currently a complete shitshow as most people have now worked out. The failure to share information in a timely or detailed way is part of that - nothing about the boilers because there are issues that TK wants to cover up. Nothing about the police involvement in assessing the streets, which has happened and might offer reassurance to some fans.

If you’re happy with this self-serving non-league operation then fair enough. But don’t be surprised if you end up watching non-league football to go with it.
    Comms staff don’t need to travel to be able to tweet or update when they have a club representative in on the discussions with the ref. Simple text or telephone call solves that problem, especially when they have travelling fans to update.
  • Options
    This is all just another example of how poorly run the club is. I have no idea of the inner workings and who is ultimately responsible for alot of these cock ups but whoever it is needs a job review. Everything is just so poor which makes the statements a little while ago about getting the infrastructure right even more farcical now than it did then.

Like most I'm praying that we have been sold and everyone can put the last 5 years finally behind us. Although if we have been sold and the next lot are either crooks or idiots I honestly think I will be calling time on a lifetimes support as I'm not sure it's all worth it
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Can’t wait to see Stockley on this type of surface.  He can barely trap a ball on a playable pitch 
    Might suit him if the conditions make us go more direct. 
  • Options
    May I be the first to say - Shambles.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    It’s Charlton TV for me if game gets the go-ahead. First of all the trains and now not knowing until 12.30 if we will play. Not setting off in car with two kids with the possibility of having to turn back. That’s it, decision made. If only the club could make a decision.
    What decision is it you'd like them to make? The game is ON, isnt it?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    BFG94 said:
    And it’s the ref call not the club 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    It’s the ref’s descision at this point. It’s out of the club,s hands - do keep up. 
  • Options
    I take the opposite view. If it was obviously dangerous, the ref would’ve called it off immediately.
    I imagine that some parts of the pitch are definitely playable, but that there are other problem areas which they are prodding and poking at
    That seems to be the case. The ref and club seem hopeful that by 12:30 those other areas will be ok...
    The lack of regard for supporters in football seems to be something that will never change. 

Agree, but also anyone travelling can't say they didn't get enough warning, whatever the technicalities and issues behind the scenes. 

I actually think the police will likely call this off even after the ref gives it the ok, based on the pic you posted earlier and general conditions in SE London.
    Police have OK’d it.
    Will they clear any icy pavements near the ground? Not sure whose responsibility this is or maybe it's all melted now?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Off_it said:
    BFG94 said:
    Do you get the feeling that on here some people will complain of the game is on and equally complain if it is off ? 
    Yep, and often the same people. 

If the game had been called off yesterday we would have people on here saying they only live 5 miles from the ground and their back garden is fine.

It's always the same every time we get bad weather. Even if the comms aren't particularly great it's not a lot to do with TS, it's just the way some people are. Embrace it.
  • Options
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned.
    I had no idea that the boiler for the under soil heating was installed some time back…..that being the case, is it now being used and of not why not.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    BFG94 said:
    Do you get the feeling that on here some people will complain of the game is on and equally complain if it is off ? 
    Yep, and often the same people. 

If the game had been called off yesterday we would have people on here saying they only live 5 miles from the ground and their back garden is fine.

It's always the same every time we get bad weather. Even if the comms aren't particularly great it's not a lot to do with TS, it's just the way some people are. Embrace it.
    Football has never handled this well - not too much to ask for the process to be improved.

It's a football wide problem.
  • Options

Police have OK’d it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Great...as long as Plymouth are fine.yipee 🤷‍♂️..Ronnie will be happy.. ;)
  • Options
    As it looks like it's going ahead, does anyone know if the foodbank collection in the car park is happening still?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    Lack of comms. It’s not that difficult to keep people up to date in 2022, and yes it is a priority to keep people informed and engaged.

I assume the inspection took time and both clubs relayed it once confirmed. Bristol Rovers according to the picture in attendance for the inspection I infer. 
    It’s our home game, our pitch and our police liaison and actually I’d expect better comms from Charlton than a club of Rovers size. I doubt their comms staff travel overnight.

You will and do defend anything the club does  but anyone who has worked in comms at the club or local journalism will recognise there is a problem. It’s not the club’s comm staff, it’s the lack of leadership and responsibility, in this case down to Keohane, who has kept the lowest of public profiles since he’s been here. 

The club has no voice but the random nonsense from Sandgaard. Look at other clubs - Millwall, for example, where Steve Kavanagh speaks directly to fans when issues arise. 

Charlton is currently a complete shitshow as most people have now worked out. The failure to share information in a timely or detailed way is part of that - nothing about the boilers because there are issues that TK wants to cover up. Nothing about the police involvement in assessing the streets, which has happened and might offer reassurance to some fans.

If you’re happy with this self-serving non-league operation then fair enough. But don’t be surprised if you end up watching non-league football to go with it.
    Oh wow. Taken off on a tangent there haven’t you?

In this instance I don’t see a massive difference to previous occasions was my only point. 

Also you assure us a change in ownership is (relatively) imminent so not sure of the need to defend / dig anything out. 

The reference to Bristol is that their representatives are equally able to relay information via their comms teams etc. even if on the end of a phone. They arguably have a greater need given their fans are typically travelling further/longer. 

My broader observation is not absolutely everything is bad. Yes it can be better but let’s have perspective on some things. 

I don’t know anything about TK. You do but don’t share or are unable to share (which I fully get) but don’t expect everyone to be able to interpret the cryptic messages with blind faith. 

• Options

Comms staff don’t need to travel to be able to tweet or update when they have a club representative in on the discussions with the ref. Simple text or telephone call solves that problem, especially when they have travelling fans to update.
    A club’s football staff is very unlikely to have communication with fans on its priority list and in any event the away club would take its lead from the home comms set-up, which is this case will have been waiting on Keohane’s say-so.
  • Options
    To my way of thinking parts of the pitch will definitely be frozen at 10am.
    So to say the game is definitely on requires the referee to guess what it will be like at 2pm when they train/3pm.

How can he guess, when it could cause a nasty injury. 

My guess is he'll call it off or say a further inspection later on. 
    You have covered both bases there mate :)
  • Options

A club’s football staff is very unlikely to have communication with fans on its priority list and in any event the away club would take its lead from the home comms set-up, which is this case will have been waiting on Keohane’s say-so.
    So to be clear. Are you saying there was a significant delay between the referees decision and the communication that the game is still on being issued because both teams wee waiting on TK to ok that communication?

if so I dont get it. How does anyone benefit from delaying the messages?
  • Options
    Seriously it's f***ing ridiculous that they leave it so late to call the game off. Football as a whole needs to sort this out.