Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    If it taking the ref another 15 mins to decide the pitch is clearly not playable and won’t be from 4 pm onwards when temp drops
    How do you manage to be wrong 99% of the time?
    It's deliberate.
  • Options
    So it's on, now watch our lot turn up and make all that effort worthless...
  • Options
    Well done the ground staff. Often forgotten but they do a great job.
  • Options
    I don't recall the ref in question's name (now retired), but in an interview he stated that as well as a pitch inspection, he would also walk the surrounding streets to see if it was safe for spectators to travel to the stadium. Can't see Trevor Kettle doing that 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I hope all this morning’s bed wetters packed a change of undies in addition to their usual flasks and tartan blankets.
  • Options
    Ice and snow has started to melt around the ground. A real heatwave...
  • Options
    Well done to the groundstaff getting the game on. Having seen the ground yesterday afternoon I thought it would be off.
  • Options
    I don't recall the ref in question's name (now retired), but in an interview he stated that as well as a pitch inspection, he would also walk the surrounding streets to see if it was safe for spectators to travel to the stadium. Can't see Trevor Kettle doing that 
    Kettle would have done it like this:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    Lack of comms. It’s not that difficult to keep people up to date in 2022, and yes it is a priority to keep people informed and engaged.
    Same issues at Bristol Rovers then?

I assume the inspection took time and both clubs relayed it once confirmed. Bristol Rovers according to the picture in attendance for the inspection I infer. 
    It’s our home game, our pitch and our police liaison and actually I’d expect better comms from Charlton than a club of Rovers size. I doubt their comms staff travel overnight.

You will and do defend anything the club does  but anyone who has worked in comms at the club or local journalism will recognise there is a problem. It’s not the club’s comm staff, it’s the lack of leadership and responsibility, in this case down to Keohane, who has kept the lowest of public profiles since he’s been here. 

The club has no voice but the random nonsense from Sandgaard. Look at other clubs - Millwall, for example, where Steve Kavanagh speaks directly to fans when issues arise. 

Charlton is currently a complete shitshow as most people have now worked out. The failure to share information in a timely or detailed way is part of that - nothing about the boilers because there are issues that TK wants to cover up. Nothing about the police involvement in assessing the streets, which has happened and might offer reassurance to some fans.

If you’re happy with this self-serving non-league operation then fair enough. But don’t be surprised if you end up watching non-league football to go with it.
    Comms staff don’t need to travel to be able to tweet or update when they have a club representative in on the discussions with the ref. Simple text or telephone call solves that problem, especially when they have travelling fans to update.
    A club’s football staff is very unlikely to have communication with fans on its priority list and in any event the away club would take its lead from the home comms set-up, which is this case will have been waiting on Keohane’s say-so.
    So to be clear. Are you saying there was a significant delay between the referees decision and the communication that the game is still on being issued because both teams wee waiting on TK to ok that communication?

if so I dont get it. How does anyone benefit from delaying the messages?
    I’m saying that the club’s communication of the issue from start to finish was incomplete and inadequate, because the organisation is poorly led and nobody accepts responsibility.

As anyone can see, I posted the outcome well before the club and I didn’t get it from comms.. 

Who was in charge and speaks for the club on the issue? Answer comes there none.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Why the faux outrage? This scenario has been seen before. It’s not straightforward and presumably they are trying to get it on. 
    Lack of comms. It’s not that difficult to keep people up to date in 2022, and yes it is a priority to keep people informed and engaged.

I assume the inspection took time and both clubs relayed it once confirmed. Bristol Rovers according to the picture in attendance for the inspection I infer. 
    It’s our home game, our pitch and our police liaison and actually I’d expect better comms from Charlton than a club of Rovers size. I doubt their comms staff travel overnight.

You will and do defend anything the club does  but anyone who has worked in comms at the club or local journalism will recognise there is a problem. It’s not the club’s comm staff, it’s the lack of leadership and responsibility, in this case down to Keohane, who has kept the lowest of public profiles since he’s been here. 

The club has no voice but the random nonsense from Sandgaard. Look at other clubs - Millwall, for example, where Steve Kavanagh speaks directly to fans when issues arise. 

Charlton is currently a complete shitshow as most people have now worked out. The failure to share information in a timely or detailed way is part of that - nothing about the boilers because there are issues that TK wants to cover up. Nothing about the police involvement in assessing the streets, which has happened and might offer reassurance to some fans.

If you’re happy with this self-serving non-league operation then fair enough. But don’t be surprised if you end up watching non-league football to go with it.
    Comms staff don’t need to travel to be able to tweet or update when they have a club representative in on the discussions with the ref. Simple text or telephone call solves that problem, especially when they have travelling fans to update.
    A club’s football staff is very unlikely to have communication with fans on its priority list and in any event the away club would take its lead from the home comms set-up, which is this case will have been waiting on Keohane’s say-so.
    So to be clear. Are you saying there was a significant delay between the referees decision and the communication that the game is still on being issued because both teams wee waiting on TK to ok that communication?

I’m saying that the club’s communication of the issue from start to finish was incomplete and inadequate, because the organisation is poorly led and nobody accepts responsibility.

As anyone can see, I posted the outcome well before the club and I didn’t get it from comms.. 

Who was in charge and speaks for the club on the issue? Answer comes there none.
    I’m being thick. Are you saying comms can’t issue a message until TK says so / approves it and there was a delay in getting that?

So the comms team have no authority at all? That’s worryingly poor if that is what you are saying and I agree beyond poor. 
  • Options
    I feel gutted for the staff that worked their nuts off to get this game on, the players let them down as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I’m being thick. Are you saying comms can’t issue a message until TK says so / approves it and there was a delay in getting that?

So the comms team have no authority at all? That’s worryingly poor if that is what you are saying and I agree beyond poor. 
    Anyone who has been involved will tell you nobody down there makes decisions, which is a structural issue. Managers are not empowered because there is no chain of authority and random instructions from Colorado.

The club used undersoil hearing to get the game on, which as far as I’m aware was a first. It was never mentioned as far as I know, including on Charlton TV. Isn’t that a bit odd?
  • Options

Anyone who has been involved will tell you nobody down there makes decisions, which is a structural issue. Managers are not empowered because there is no chain of authority and random instructions from Colorado.

The club used undersoil hearing to get the game on, which as far as I’m aware was a first. It was never mentioned as far as I know, including on Charlton TV. Isn’t that a bit odd?
    Yes I agree it’s something you would think would get a mention. 

But I don’t follow if you are saying they were forbidden from mentioning it, all communications regardless of content go through TK or TS or that the communications team no longer has the depth or competence or feel they can even create the message without being told to first.

I assume not the latter but I’m struggling to imagine why any shroud of secrecy was needed or to delay confirming the positive confirmation when the referees gave the go ahead. Simply saying game on is not going to upset TS - is it?

As I said I am being thick no doubt in picking up on the underlying issue on this specific occasion. I don’t doubt wider day to day struggles. 
  • Options
    Yes only the 1st half 🤣🤣😀