Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Callum my man i'm going to need you to explain to me how on earth Italy are in pot 4?

I get they didn't win their group but they're currently ranked 8th in the world and 5 months ago came 3rd in the Nations league. How are they in a lower pot than the likes of Scotland and Slovenia?
  • Options
    Callum my man i'm going to need you to explain to me how on earth Italy are in pot 4?

I get they didn't win their group but they're currently ranked 8th in the world and 5 months ago came 3rd in the Nations league. How are they in a lower pot than the likes of Scotland and Slovenia?
    Because they got amongst the least amount of points to Qualify out of everyone - The combined table is at the bottom here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    edited November 2023

As above, Italy got one of the fewest points tallies of those teams who qualified automatically, which is what the pots are based on.

The 10 qualifying group winners get first priority. They make up five teams from Pot 1 (plus the hosts for six) and the first five teams of Pot 2. The best performing second placed team (Austria, 19pts from 8) fills the last Pot 2 position.

The 10 qualifying runners up are split between one Pot 2 team for the best performing (Austria), six Pot 3 teams for the next best and three Pot 4 teams for the worst three.

Italy, with only 14pts from 8 games, were one of the worst performing runners up and missed the cut off for Pot 3 by one point.

Here’s a wiki article with the rankings if interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying#Overall_ranking

• Options
    Having said all the above, I still think it’s a silly system. The likes of Albania and Romania have benefitted massively from having “weaker” qualifying groups.

While the Netherlands and Italy in particular suffered from having two teams ranked in the top four in the world in their group.

If the pots were based on October’s FIFA ranking, they look a lot more sensible. Can only assume this is UEFA being petty and not wanting to rely on FIFA for anything?

FIFA rank Pot 1: Germany, France, England, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands
    FIFA rank Pot 2: Spain, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria
    FIFA rank Pot 3: Serbia, Hungary, Scotland, Turkey, Czech Rep, Romania
    FIFA rank Pot 4: Slovakia, Slovenia, Albania, Playoff A, Playoff B, Playoff C
  • Options
    Thankfully my mates got some tickets so going to 2 group stage games in Dortmund B3 Vs B4 & F1 Vs F3
  • Options
    Wales home to Finland in the play-off semi and if they win that then they will be home to Poland or Estonia
  • Options
    I don't care what time it is in the US, up your f*cking game Callum.
  • Options
    Great chance for Wales 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Great chance for Wales 
    Let's hope they blow it. 
  • Options
    The Draw for the Finals is @ 5:15pm tonight... available on BBC2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that programming or the actual draw? Will be booking flights for England matches. Imagine a direct flight to the group stage game will probably 5x within a minute of the location and date being announced.
  • Options
    Is that programming or the actual draw? Will be booking flights for England matches. Imagine a direct flight to the group stage game will probably 5x within a minute of the location and date being announced.
    Looks like it is the Programming.
  • Options
    Yep, hence why I’ve booked my flight already to Frankfurt. One way only cost me £42. Once there it will be a train journey to wherever we’re playing. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Yep, hence why I’ve booked my flight already to Frankfurt. One way only cost me £42. Once there it will be a train journey to wherever we’re playing. 
    Frankfurt looks like a good base, judging by where the venues are. If England end up in Stuttgart, Dusseldorf or Berlin got mates there that might be able to wrangle tickets, and as long as Portugal are not nearby hopefully flights won't be too mental from here, but I may be hoping a bit much there...   
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    cafctom said:
    I’ve got a 2 year old so don’t have the luxury of visiting anywhere. Excluding the final I doubt I’ll even stay at a hotel throughout my time there as will be in and out as quick as possible.
  • Options
    Having said all the above, I still think it’s a silly system. The likes of Albania and Romania have benefitted massively from having “weaker” qualifying groups.

While the Netherlands and Italy in particular suffered from having two teams ranked in the top four in the world in their group.

If the pots were based on October’s FIFA ranking, they look a lot more sensible. Can only assume this is UEFA being petty and not wanting to rely on FIFA for anything?

FIFA rank Pot 1: Germany, France, England, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands
    FIFA rank Pot 2: Spain, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria
    FIFA rank Pot 3: Serbia, Hungary, Scotland, Turkey, Czech Rep, Romania
    FIFA rank Pot 4: Slovakia, Slovenia, Albania, Playoff A, Playoff B, Playoff C
    That’s not right:

Who are in the pots for Euro 2024?

Pot 1: Germany (hosts), Portugal, France, Spain, Belgium, England.

Pot 2: Hungary, Turkey, Romania, Denmark, Albania, Austria.

Pot 3: Netherlands, Scotland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic.

Pot 4: Italy, Serbia, Switzerland, play-off winner A, play-off winner B, play-off winner C.

Path A - Wales (29), Poland (31), Finland (59), Estonia (122); Path B - Ukraine (22), Bosnia-Herzegovina (69), Iceland (71), Israel (75); (Path C) Greece (47), Georgia (77), Luxembourg (83), Kazakhstan (100).

What’s the best and worst possible draw?

Best: Albania, Scotland (players we know well),  Play Off Winner  B or C?

Worst: Hungary, Netherlands, Italy?

• Options
    Yeah I was saying that’s what the pots would’ve been if they were based on world ranking. But they’re not. Think I posted the actual pots on the previous page.
  • Options
    Great start for Wales. Finland barely out their own half so far.
  • Options
    Georgia beat 2-0 Luxembourg earlier. And Greece are 4-0 up over Kazahkstan at half time.

Looking like Georgia v Greece for the Play-off C place in Group F with Portugal, Czech Republic and Turkey.
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Play-off A HT scores:

Poland 1-0 Estonia (Estonia down to 10 men)
    Wales 2-1 Finland

Play-off B HT scores:

Bosnia 0-0 Ukraine
    Israel 1-2 Iceland

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wales 3-1 up and Poland 2-0 up. Looking like that could be the teams meeting for a place in Germany this summer.
  • Options
    The European Championship is no longer for the elite teams. Ditch the qualifying and start the tournament a week earlier with all 55 teams. Have a pre tournament knock out phase.
  • Options
    Some big wins tonight, Wales 4-1 up now, Iceland 4-1 up, Poland 5-1, and Greece 5-0.
  • Options
    Ukraine game was crazy. Love national knockout football.
  • Options
    Can’t believe Poland scored 5 goals and Lewandowski didn’t score any of them!
  • Options
    As well as Morgan Fox, Jay Dasilva has also found some Welsh ancestry, and he was on the bench for them tonight as well!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Can’t believe Poland scored 5 goals and Lewandowski didn’t score any of them!
    Let me down on a goalscorer 4 fold for £180
  • Options
    So Wales or Poland will join Group D with Netherlands, Austria and France.

Ukraine or Iceland will join Group E with Belgium, Slovakia and Romania.

Georgia or Greece will join Group F with Turkey, Portugal and Czech Republic.
  • Options
    Georgia v Greece just kicked off in Tbilisi.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    The Wales Poland game looks a lot more interesting than the England game. I think I will watch the England first half and then watch the Wales game as it kicks off 45 mins later.

Correction, I got the England time wrong!